Reload this Page >

New Year's Eve and Day in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Steven

Hi,<BR><BR>I will be in Paris over New Years. Two-fold question...<BR><BR>1) What is the New Years eve celebration in Paris like? Where should I go? (Nothing too dangerous!)<BR><BR>2) What museums or monuments are open New Years Day? I will have a &quot;Museum and Monument Pass&quot;, and the consecutive days keep on counting! So far all I have found open on 1/1 is Eiffel Tower (not included on pass) and Centre Pompideiu. What else is there?

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Christina

I think there have been a lot of posts on here talking about New Year's Eve in Paris, so you might want to view them, there is a lot of info there. It's about what you'd expect for a big city, though.<BR><BR>As for the other, NY day is one of the biggest holidays in France in terms of things being closed. I'm surprised the Pompidou is open, because I've never heard of any museum or monument being open on that day in Paris (except the Eiffel Tower). Of course, the Pompidou will be jammed, no doubt, but that's better than nothing. Some of the things I thought might be open, so I checked (like the St-Denis basilica) are not open on NY day. There are things to do that day, but I think it will be hard for you to find museums or monuments open. <BR><BR>Maybe someone else knows of something unusual, but if not, I wouldn't count on any and would just think the best thing would be to check an entertainment guide (eg, Pariscope) for specifics once you get in Paris, you can buy one at any newsstand.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:36 AM
OO

Next to Pariscope, check the web page of the Paris Tourist Office.<BR>Right now, they have a Christmas Special (report of the month) and I am sure they will have a New Year's Special just as well.<BR><BR>http://www.paris-touristoffice.com/index_va_v2.html

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 12:15 PM
marg

I did a search for New Year's Paris, but not finding anything. Above poster mentioned seeing lots of info. Does anyone know the thread? We are trying to book a nice hotel that would be having New Year's dinner and entertainment.<BR>Thanks.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Christina

I just searched and found a lot of posts, using almost the same words. Click on the FRANCE country in the right box and then just type &quot;new year&quot; in the left box. It is always better to select a country in the right to limit something rather than putting words in the left box. I would avoid using the apostrophe in a search word.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Grasshopper

I was in Paris last New Years Eve. There were several kinds of things going on. The first is the Restaurant by Reservation thing where the prices were 2x the normal prices and dinner came with balloons and noise makers. Other restaurants seemed to have more limited menus than normal and were incredibly crowded get in and get out kinds of things. And then the majority of activity was out in the streets. The Champs Elysees is jam packed with revellers from the Arch to Place de Concorde, which is comparable to NYC Times Square on New Years. There were sporadic fire works near Notre Dame but nothing like you saw over the Eiffel Tower on 2000. And it was COLD! The Metro was free and full of drunk young gangs of kids who intimidated the heck out of me. People were walking everywhere.<BR><BR>But it was exciting and I wouldn't have missed it for anything. We left at 6am on NY Day and people were still out revelling so I can't comment on what was open.