Search

Union Jack Club

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Lyn

Union Jack Club

Does anyone have any experience with this club? Location is across from Waterloo Station,& the price for a double room in July is 85 pounds. Thanks.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Ben Haines

I expect you know that the club is open to serving personnel of the armed forces and their families, and to Eurostar staff, but not to other civilians. Detail is on <BR>www.nuffieldtrust.org/Hotels.pdf/. I am afraid I have not been there.<BR><BR>Welcome to London<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:14 AM
david west

My Mum and her husband (navy) stay there fairly regularly. They speak highly of it.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Lyn

Thanks for the quick responses. They do allow US military personnel to stay there and we are thinking of doing so. We have't been to London for 20 years, so I am mostly wondering about the location -- good, bad, pros, cons? Thanks!

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:56 PM
xxx

ttt

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:01 AM
David West

It's by waterloo station which isn't the greatest area (nothing much wrong with it either). It is extremely well linked for transport and is also a short walk over Westminster bridge from Parliament and central london.<BR><BR>Locationwise its as good as you will get for the money. THe only other equivelent is The County HAll.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Ben Haines

<BR>You write that they do allow US military personnel to stay there. Snorting a little, I can only say I jolly well hope so. I think they have done so since 1942, and I see the place as something of a monument to the young Americans and Canadians who during Hitler's war came through London and never went back home. We owe them.<BR><BR>You ask about location, and I agree with Mr West. No model of beauty in itself, Waterloo is well placed for everywhere, Westminster and Whitehall over Westminster Bridge, and the West End and City over Waterloo Bridge. At the first tube station you see please ask for the central London free bus map. Your London travel card covers busses as well as tubes. They process along the Waterloo Road and over the bridge, and afford great views from seats upstairs in front. On a bus pass you can use them as hop on hop off, and need not wait in the cold for the bus to exactly where you are going, since you can change as often as you fancy.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>