Paris museum cafes

Sep 24th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Paris museum cafes

Please, could we start a thread specifically on good choices for a light lunch at the many museums in Paris? Museum cafes would seem to be easy, affordable, and have been recommended here for travelers on their own.

(I know there are some fine museum restaurants as well --see Dining in Paris Museums by cigalechanta.

Any advice from your experiences will be illuminating-- thanks!
Sep 24th, 2009, 05:25 AM

We have enjoyed several lunches at the Musee d'Orsay cafe.

It is located behind one of the big station clocks, and there is a rooftop terrace with a wonderful view.

Byrd
Sep 24th, 2009, 05:41 AM

2nd on Musee d'Orsay.
Not a museum but very good and affordable, the cafeteria in Galeries Lafayette.
Sep 24th, 2009, 05:53 AM

I'll throw out what I've heard about..
Jacquemart-Andre and Cafe Marly at the Louvre.
Sep 24th, 2009, 05:53 AM

The best food court is at the Louvre-- kiosks-type with many ethnic foods represented.
Sep 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Cafe Marly is looking tired these days but it's still great for a coffee on the terrace overlooking the glass pyramid. The little cafeteria on the 6th floor of Printemps has a fabulous view, nice for drinks but food is so-so. I haven't been there but hear the tearoom at the Islamic museum/Mosque is very good.
Sep 24th, 2009, 06:10 AM

They usually only have one choice or two at most at any museum, so if you are in a museum and want to eat there, just check it out and see if you like the prices. I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a museum just for lunch, if that's what you are thinking. Affordable is a term that is meaningless, in general, as what is affordable to some is excessive to others. For example, I think the restaurant in the Orsay is reasonable for the food and room, but I've read others say they consider it expensive. The Louvre cafeteria is convenient and not bad at all IMO, but it certainly isn't cheap compared to any regular place you could go outside the Louvre. Most museums don't have restaurants, anyway, there are only a few.
Sep 24th, 2009, 06:51 AM

Avoid the cafe at the Petit Palais. Their baguettes tasted like American hot dog buns!
Sep 24th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Be careful because there is a RESTAURANT and a self-service cafe at the Orsay.

I recommend the restaurant.

The food must be pretty good at the Jackie-Andre Museum (that's what I call it) because the lines are out the door. Get there early if you want a table.

Thin
Sep 24th, 2009, 07:09 AM

I agree with Michel and Cries, Jacquemart-Andre for lunch.
Sep 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM

From my 2006 Paris Christmas Trip Report:

"During the tour, our noses had been tempted by the smell of food wafting through the building, so after we dropped off the headphones and had lunch in the restaurant at Jacquemart-André. It was charming…and good.

Tracy had the Le Prince salad, which consisted of a mixed salad with curried chicken and carrots, raisins and grapefruit. I don’t remember what I had for lunch, because we split ½ bottle of Pommery Champagne, and I, as usual, took more than my fair share."

Sep 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Arts et Métiers (Musée nationale des techniques) has a Sunday brunch buffet at a very reasonable price.
Sep 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
cw

The Cafe in the garden at the Musee Branly is a nice place to stop. The costs are typical museum prices, and the setting is lovely. The building is separate from the museum so you don't have to be visiting the exhibits to go. The gardens and the outside of the museum with the plants growing on the walls makes it an interesting stop on its own. In good weather there is a large outdoor seating area, as well.

http://www.quaibranly.fr/en/musee/re...t-service.html
Sep 25th, 2009, 07:45 PM

We had a very nice lunch-nothing fancy but tasty and good-- at the Rodin Museum in the Gardens. Not too expensive but it served the purpose for a light meal at the right time.
Sep 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM

I also agree with the Jacquemart-Andre suggestion, we had a great foie gras salad there. When I was in Paris in May the Nissim Camondo were doing a survey and one of the questions was would I use a cafe if there was one, I replied a big yes. So keep an eye out because hopefully they will be putting one in here also.

The Romantic Museum also has a very small cafe, I wouldn't rush there for the food as it was quite limited but a cup of tea and cake looked good. This is in the 9th arr.

I have also heard that the food at the Branly was great as was the view.

Schnauzer