Paris (Marais) Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've booked a twin-bed room at the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais in Marais (4th). The email I received from the hotel read Courtyard. Now, after reading more posts I've realized(lightbulb) that the Courtyard rooms seem to be the smaller, darker rooms ... as opposed to the frontside rooms that are a bit larger with a small balcony with a view of the street.

Can anyone confirm this? The offered me a rate of 130Euros. If it's such a big difference, I may have to ask to change our room from a couryard to frontside .. but if it's not that big of deal, I'll leave it be. Again, I'm going with what I read on here .. but would like confirmation from someone who has stayed there and possibly in a twin-room.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:01 PM

On another site someone stayed in a courtyard room and thought it was pretty good. Of course, she may have liked that room, but it doesn't mean that you will. Generally I read that the streetside rooms are preferable for the light and that tiny balcony. But you pay alot more too.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:21 PM

Katzen,

We've never stayed at the Caron but have walked by it several times...whenever we have been on their street it has been crowded and noisy..since its a fairly narrow street, for future reference, we wonder about soundproofing...what was the experience in the streetside rooms??
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:24 PM

Cigale, didn't you stay here this last trip?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Traviata, I've read on Fodors and on Tripadvisor that by the windows being closed and the AC (summer) on ... sound has been ok. We will be there in August so I have a feeling AC will be a must.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:30 PM

I was in Paris last July and the temperatures were very high. If the heat bothers you then you should reserve a room that has a/c.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes I did.Be aware that what we call a courtyard is not the same for the French. It is an airshaft. Mine was outside my door disguised as a garden plot. I was alone and on the main floor. I had no windows except for the one opening onto the shaft but I only slept there and watched CNN as I dressed.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Cigalechanta, Yes, that is the room description that has me wondering if I want to change rooms. I do know that our room is not on the ground floor. That is what first got me ... it said courtyard (I was thinking "pretty" and "quaint&quot and once I did more research I started to realize that the 'courtyard' was a bit different than what I was thinking.

I guess overall, it's not that big of a deal (we just sleep in there) ... but having a room with more light does sound more appealing.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:17 AM

The address may be a small side street but it's a corner on rue de Rivoli.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:39 AM

it's a long narrow street. The hotel is situated before the corner of the Rivoli at number 12 and the street, Vielle du temple goes up to the Bld Du Temple which changes to the du Calvaire and than the Bld Beaumarchais. That confused me so I always headed for the Rivoli when I got confused in my direction.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:04 AM

We have stayed here many times. I always ask for a streetside room and have been lucky enough to get one. Noise not a problem.

We like the service, price and location of this hotel. Ask to be shifted to a streetside room. If you can not be then it probably depends on how much time you plan to spend in the room.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:26 PM

My room was not streetside but no noise at night. Powell, the breakfasts are very nice with the Herald tribune and Figaro at your disposal. I had them pack my last day breakfast to eat on the plane because I hate airline food. That croissant was so fresh after all those hours, I couldn't believe it.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

I booked our room. They sent me quotes for a twin-bedded room with a courtyard view and with a frontside view. My sister and I decided to pay the 150 euro for the streetside view. I then received a confirmation for our room only instead of frontside the email said courtyard for 135 euro. So not only did they get the wrong room, they also quoted the wrong price. I was quoted 130 euro for a courtyard and 150 euro for frontside. the 5 euros is not that big of a difference .. so I tried calling and was told there were no more frontside rooms available. I then sent an email and received a reply stating again that we were confirmed for a courtyard but would be put on a waiting list for a frontside.

All very strange, but at least we have a room.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Is there one particular bakery/cafe (for breakfast) that sticks out in someone's memory close to the Caron de Beaumarchais?

Also, is it doable to walk from the Marais to the passages in the 9th/2nd? I'm asking because we only have close to two days in Paris (and not sure if we can fit it all in) and plan on doing the left bank on one day and the right bank on the other .. there are many shops we want to hit on the right bank including the passages .. but aren't sure if we should walk it all or metro? We'd like to walk but thought we'd get some advice from the more experienced travellers of Paris. Thanks
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:28 AM

hi,

we stayed at the caron de b. a few years ago. we often had b'fast sent to the room (wonderful coffee and croissant), then headed to our first destination and had the 2nd cafe break on the way there.

however, on our first day, we took the bus (69?) down rue de rivoli and got off near the louvre. an easy walk to passages vero-dadat and vivienne where there is a lovely cafe. you could walk there, but if pressed for time, the bus is easy. and you can always wander home from there.

have fun!