Reload this Page >

Muguet or Champs de Mars?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
annie

I just returned from a week in Paris at the Hotel Muguet. I have stayed there 3 times before. They have raised their rates to 100E for a double, and Madame is very unpleasant. The rooms are dark and the shower is so small my husband could not bend down to get the soap off the floor! I would like to find a hotel in the same area that is as nice or nicer. Could someone please compare the Champs de Mar with the Muguet if you have been to both?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Betsy

Have stayed at both and the Muguet wins hands down--can't wait to return. Our room (53) at the front of the hotel was of average size for a small Paris hotel and had a view of the top third of Le Tour Eiffel. The bathroom was huge and shiny, and the hotel has A/C. Our room at the Champs de Mars was miniscule and the desk folks were surly, projecting a "don't give a damn" attitude. Will not return.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 02:00 PM
Gretchen

Staying there next week for 92?. Have stayed 2 times before. Madame is madame--they have always been helpful to me at the desk.<BR>Our rooms have not been dark--showers in Paris are small. The place is squeaky clean and just renovated. It is a 2* hotel.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:05 PM
Linda

Have stayed at both hotels in the last 2 years, Champ de Mars twice and Muguet once. Muguet was slightly more expensive; I thought the rooms were comparable although you get a room safe at Muguet. My friend liked Muguet best, I liked Champ de Mars. Muguet is a little bit quieter as it is off the main street while CDM gets the noise from the rue Cler if you are at the front. My personal favourite is CDM but if I couldn't get a room there I'd try Muguet again. At both I found the owners (Madame and the Gourdals) to be fine; perhaps a bit brusque at times but it didn't bother me.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:13 PM
christina

Glad you point out that Madame is unpleasant. I emailed the hotel to get reservation information and was asking information about the room and their offered breakfast but I found I got a sort of rude answer from the woman who replied. That changed the opinion I had of staying there. I discovered later that the person who replied was the owner. Anyway, it is only my opinion-maybe she was having a bad day.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Ann

Thank you Annie for posting this question. At least I know there are other people who are not crazy about Muguet. What is a big deal about it, anyway? <BR>Just anoher hotel and suddenly became expensive after euro was introduced. <BR>100 euro per night for this small room and tiny showers?

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Gretchen

I will also point out that Madame does not speak English well. The replies via e-mail are rudimentary. I have actually heard how rude the service is at CDM. How much time do you spend int the room? I pretty much just fall over until the next day.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:05 AM
JulieW

I returned yesterday after a week at the Muguet. This is my second visit in four years, and I could not have made a better choice. Four of us stayed in two rooms and we all agree that the hotel exceeded our expectations. <BR><BR>The hotel is immaculately clean throughout, (particularly the bathrooms) and our quiet room looked out over the rooftops and the Invalides dome. Our companion's room had a view of the Eiffel tower. The rooms are of typical size for Paris, the beds are excellent, the sheets were changed daily, the pillows were great and the towels were large.<BR><BR>I like Mme. and found her to be very pleasent and helpful. She made arrangements for us to check into both rooms early upon our morning arrival. The staff was very helpful and friendly. They assisted with bus routes, made reservations and advised on resturants in the area. <BR><BR>I used e-mail to make reservations and didn't have an issue with the short responses esp. since they were in English.<BR><BR>Re the rates - the twin-bed rooms are 92 euros and the queen-bed rooms are 100 euros. This could account for the confusion over prices.<BR><BR>After a full day exploring other areas of Paris, it was a pleasure to return to the slower residential pace of the 7th. And I wouldn't stay anywhere in the 7th but the Muguet. <BR><BR>I can also recommend Sandra Gustaffson's Great Eats in Paris - every meal was terrific and moderately priced.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Jim

annie,<BR>We have stayed at both hotels and prefer the Muguet. Madame Catherine Pelletier is a very gracious, kind, and helpful person. Their prices for next year are 95 and 103 euros. Have reservations there again for next summer.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:07 AM
elle

Haven't stayed at the Muguet, but have at CDM. In fact, my husband and I were just discussing where to stay on our next trip and he remarked that he liked the CDM so much that he'd like to stay there again.<BR><BR>The CDM showers are pretty small too. I would imagine they'd be especially difficult for anyone on the larger side.<BR><BR>Our room was beautiful, though, and the front desk people were very helpful and kind, even promising us a room with a view the next time we visited (and telling us which room to ask for and when to book. . .)<BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:12 AM
curt

A third choice just around the corner from both of these on Rue Cler is the Grand Hotel Leveque. It is a bit cheaper than these two, but offers nice rooms (with in room safe), friendly and helpful staff, a decent and fairly priced breakfast if you want to eat in, and a real rarity in Paris, an ice machine and ice buckets. We liked Leveque a lot. Friends have used CDM and also liked it very much, and we also know folks that swear by Muguet.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Betsy

I've stayed at the Leveque also. It's a Rick Steves fave. Found it to be a terrific bargain. Rooms were not as well decorated as those at the Muguet, but the bathroom was sparkling white. Our room overlooked a small interior courtyard and was quiet. Would definitely return. Book early!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Marilyn

Last year we stayed at the Champs de Mars. I found it fine, but had heard of others who reservations had been confirmed, but they didn't have a room when they arrived. Despite this we made two sets of reservations--one for a few days at the beginning of our reservation and one for a couple of days before the return home. The one at the beginning worked out fine and as we were leaving I reminded them we had a reservation on our return. However, upon our return, guess what, no room. They had made a room reservation at a dismal place up the street. We took it, but had to drag our luggage 4 blocks after arriving by shuttle there. Marilyn