Paris-Latin Quarter

Search

Paris-Latin Quarter

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris-Latin Quarter

Need two rooms in June, in Latin Quarter vicinity. Please advise on Hotels with lots of charm, spacious bedrooms, with pleasant staff.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:33 AM

We liked Hotel Residence Monge last summer.

Do a text search for Paris Hotels and you will come up with many choices.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Hi--it would also help if you specified a price range.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes, something moderately priced, and I am looking for a smaller charming hotel. However, I understand they can be charming but noisy and cramped. So, I would love to hear about the real little gems, which are not at the top of the price range. I don't want to spend $300 a night.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:55 AM

If you define charm as very hold, original stone walls, darked, ancient timbers showing...(and you don't NEED an elevator, TV, mini-bar), just a nice room in which to lay your weary head, a clean, usable en-suite bathrrom, a nice neighborhood, easy to get to and fro...
how about Hotel St. Andre Des Arts?
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:56 AM

jeezz..very OLD not very HOLD...
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:02 AM

A charming hotel with spacious rooms, in Paris' most popular arrondissement, all for under 250 euros?

I can't wait to find a hotel like that!
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:05 AM

I think the "spacious rooms" part is going to be the most difficult!
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:15 AM

try the monge or claude bernard. room sizes will vary so ask a lot of questions.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Yes, the spacious rooms part will be tough.

The Hotel des Grandes Ecoles is affordable and has a lovely garden that contributes to its charm, although the rooms are not exactly spacious. It's very popular, though, so if you're talking about this June, you're probably out of luck.

The Monge has decent-sized rooms and a pleasant staff (great location, too), but is not especially charming (although it's clean and comfortable).

It's hard to know what another person's definition of "spacious" is, but the most spacious rooms I've had in Paris were all in the $200 per night range and neither of them were in the Latin Quarter.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:42 AM

I don't think it will be that difficult if you are willing to spend up to $300, especially since hotels in the Latin Qtr are cheaper than elsewhere. I don't think it's the most popular hotel quarter, either -- St Germain is generally more expensive, for example.

I have had spacious rooms around $100, but not in the Latin Qtr. June is a busy hotel season, top rates, and is only a few weeks away, this is the problem. YOu can get more spacious rooms if you will pay for them, generally paying for the superior double is advised. It also does depend on what one's idea of spacious is, as I thought the Sorbonne small double I had was fairly spacious for that price (in comparison to other small Parisian hotels), but I would not think it spacious for two people in the room. It was bigger than some other hotels, though.

It may be the lots of charm thing, with spacious and last minute that is the hard part, along with can't be noisy in the Latin Qtr (ha ha, that means you will have to keep windows closed and have AC). I haven't stayed here, but others have liked the Hotel du Pantheon for charm, I think. you can search
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Latin Quarter and $100 is doable, but you most likely won't find a "spacious" room. Large size rooms in the older "charming" hotels just aren't that common. You may have to prioritize what's most important between: location, charm factor, friendly staff, price, and room size.
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:28 AM
awbaker

Hotel Verneuil is very, very charming. However, "charming" is usually used to nicely describe something small, and the Verneuil rooms are as such. The deluxe rooms are a bit more spacious than the standard rooms. Rates are under 200 euros. Location is not the Latin Quarter, but rather in the 7th on the border of the 6th. Fantastic area! It may be too late to reserve for June, though.

Here's a link to Travel & Leisure for recommended Paris hotels for under $200 (probably more like $250 now with the euro so strong.) http://travelandleisure.com/Invoke.c...B20002B3309983

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Google "hotel vieux paris." DH and I stayed there in 1989 when it was a budget hotel. Since then they have remodeled it and have combined a lot of the rooms. The location is terrific but it is probably in the upper end of your price range.