Search

Paris Itinerary Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2015, 06:58 PM
akb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Itinerary Feedback

My girlfriend and I are headed to Paris for a week at the end of September. It will be her first visit, and I have not been in over 30 years. We both agree that one can sleep at home. We will be staying in the first arondissement. Please give us any feedback on our itinerary and any suggestions for cafes or restos near our activites or any other helpful suggestions. Thanks.

Day 1 - Musee Carnavalet in afternoon and general wandering about.
Day 2 - Morning at Foire de Chatou for fleas and ham. Later afternoon at Curie Museum. Evening at St Chapelle for a concert.
Day 3 - Morning and early afternoon: Notre Dame at 10:00 for a Gregorian Mass, stop by the Memorial to the Departed. Ile St. Louis and St Chapelle. Late afternoon- L'Orangerie.
Day 4 - Morning: Louvre Museum. Afternoon: Museum of Judaism and walking tour of Marais.
Day 5 - Morning: Musee D'Orsay/ wandering in neighborhood. Afternoon: Rodin Museum Evening: possible Seine cruise, depending on weather
Day 6- Morning: Garnier Opera tour. Afternoon: Cluny Museum and Pantheon. Evening: return to Louvre
Day 7 - Early morning: Richard Lenoir street market/ Tuileries Gardens. Depart for airport around 1 pm.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 04:27 AM

Sounds good to me. You have obviously done your research and chosen things that appeal to you. And you have covered a lot but have left time to simply wander and enjoy. Since you have done research, I assume you have checked to be sure the places you plan to visit are open on the days indicated.

You haven't given us much of an idea what kind of restaurants you prefer. Do a search on this board for ideas. I also like to use Chowhound for ideas.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 04:39 AM

What time does your return flight depart? CDG is a real bear and you should arrive at the airport 3 hours before you flight departs - since there are often multiple security checks for planes departing to the US.

As for restaurants - it would help if you gave us a price range - and if you like any specific cuisines.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 06:54 AM

many don't agree but we like to do the Seine cruise the evening (dusk) we arrive for a grand intro and then have an early dinner and to bed. Ready to go the next day. We take a bottle of wine with us on the cruise (although they will sell you some at the quay for top dollar). A toast to the city.
Have you considered the Marmottan in your museum tours?
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 08:20 AM

I assume you will be buying a museum pass.

We liked seeing the L'Orangerie right after our time at D'Orsay. They are right arises the river from each other - you just walk across the bridge and you are there.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 11:30 AM

I think it's fine, you have planned things pretty well.

Since you are combining museums on sequential days and have quite a few with hefty admissions (Louvre is now 15 euro, I believe), I do think a 4 day museum pass for 56 euro would actually save you money, and it doesn't for a lot of people.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 02:14 PM
akb
Original Poster

We are allowing for a 3 hour window at the airport for our return flight, which departs around 5 pm. We are buying the 4 day pass, which is why we have clumped so many museum visits together during those 4 days. Going on the river cruise the first night is a good idea. I have been to the Marmottan, which is a fabulous museum. I originally had it on our itinerary, but my friend suggested the Carnavalet so the Marmottan will have to wait for another visit. I have never heard of Chowhound. I will do a Google search for it and look at other restaurants on the forum. We do not want to spend a fortune on food. We like most cuisines but are mainly looking for places that have good food and value in the neighborhoods we will be near at the end of the day. How much can one expect to spend on a meal for lunch? dinner? Thanks for all your help.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 02:25 PM

Paris by Mouth is also a good reference for restaurant a - you can even look them up by arrondissements .
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 06:21 PM
akb
Original Poster

Thanks for recommending Paris by Mouth and Chowhound. Both will be helpful.