Paris in August with a kid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, 7 year old and myself will be in Paris in August for 5-6 days. Any suggestions on where to stay and hotel versus rental apartment?
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 08:30 PM

For anything over 3-4 days and with a child, I think an apartment is the only way to go. Gives everyone some space, allows for different bedtimes, options of eating breakfast or other meals in. The only downside I can think of is not having a front desk person for some assistance, but if you do your homework, get good guide book(s), maps, etc., no need for a concierge.

Happy planning!
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 09:28 PM

Hopefully you will be able to have AC or several fans..HOT! HOT! HOT! grandmere is spot on!! Google kid friendly things in Paris and see what comes up. Batobus will beat walking in the heat.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:18 AM

Its hard to rent an apartment for 5-6 days , in summer many only want 7 day rentals. Also, having a/c is sometimes very important, you may not need it, but if its hot, you will bless it . I blessed it all 12 days I was in Paris this July and August,,, and unfortunately many apartments do not have it( some do, I purposefully rented one for 7 days with it, then got a hotel for other 5 days , with it)

Theres a lot to do in Paris for kids, they generally enjoy climbing the Towers of Notre Dame( hunchback etc) and going up the Eiffel Tower, and the boat cruise.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 02:16 AM

We were just there in September with our children and rented an apartment, which had many advantages over a hotel. We had it for 6 days, but maybe in summer they require a week. I have never been in Paris in summer and have never considered air con. If you are interested in the one we used, or others from the same guy, see www.parisholidayapts.com - the one we stayed in was Place des Victoires but it isn't air conditioned. Great location though.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 04:49 AM

As noted above, an apartment is best when traveling with kids. Try to rent near the Luxembourg Gardens which will provide a place to play. If you search this board there are many threads started by those traveling with children and also many trip reports. Use the search box at the top of the page.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 06:05 AM

It is EASY to rent an apartment in Paris for 5-6 days. Out of the thousands of vacation rentals in Paris, only SOME require a week or more stay (maybe 10%-20% of them). An apartment is absolutely the best choice for traveling with children - near a park even better.

Without knowing your budget, here are a few specific suggestions - all close to parks with playgrounds:

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_139.htm 1BR and 1/2 block to Place des Vosges. 3 night minimum stay.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_168.htm 2BR On Ile Saint Louis and 2 blocks from Square Jean XXIII on Ill de la Cite (nice large park but no playground equipment - but apt. is as central as it gets). 3 night min. stay.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_215.htm Near St. Sulpice and 2-3 blocks from Luxembourg Gardens. 5 night min. stay.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Paris isn't like some rural vacation area such as Provence, it being summer doesn't have anything to do with people wanting 7 day stays versus whatever their norm is. Lots of apts in Paris rent for less than 7 days and the season is irrelevant.

Now if it were some rural area or Provence or a gite, I would agree most want 7 day stays, but not in Paris. In fact, summer is low season in Paris for accommodations, although that is mainly for hotels, I know as business traffic clears out. But I've never seen a vacation apt rental in Paris that required a 7 day stay in summer than did not at other times of the year.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 06:08 AM
ita

if it fits into your travel plans, I would suggest a trip to Monets gardens at Giverny. It will be crowded, but it is an easy day trip and a nice get away if it is hot in Paris
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Another vote for Vacation In Paris. They do rent for less than a week, and many of their apartments have a/c. We rented #125 a couple years ago and it suited us just fine. It is in the 1st, but right by the river and so was very central to so many places.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 10:33 AM
ita

I agree that Ile St.Louis is an excellent location, but I was very disappointed when I stayed there. I found it noisy, crowded and the restaurants more expensive. Granted we were in a hotel on the main drag and an apartment on a side street might be different. How do others feel about this?
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:57 PM

August is Paris Plages month, and so Paris can be a beach destination too. I took my son to Paris the first time when he was 8, he's now 15 but still has a soft spot for PP. We did the "Paris as a beach destination" from hotels around Rue des Ecoles. Many fine hotels there, I know that further on around Rue Monge, there are many apartment rentals available. From there to Ile de la Cite is not too far.

Another option would be to rent something near Luxembourg. It's a great play area for kids with lots of options, and very sophisticated areas nearby for parents on vacation. Do remember it's august, so many restaurants, shops etc will be on holidays, and some areas may be more subdued. It's the exact reason why PP is there: to give an outdoors play area for kids who can't leave the city.
Also FNAC has a great series of outdoor concerts also in the early evening in early august.

My son's most memorable memory though is going with me, rather late at night, to a cafe and having a coke, just like the grownups. Also city buses were a big hit, to get from quartier to quartier.

Oh, just came to mind: have a look at the Citadines Aparthotels: a cross between an apartment and a hotel. I've stayed in one and it was quite ok.