Search

Preliminary Planning Stages for trip to Paris this summer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preliminary Planning Stages for trip to Paris this summer

Hi,
I've used this forum many times to plan our trips from Spain to Costa Rica to the Czech Republic, and now I need help with our trip to France this summer. My daughter's boyfriend is from France, and his parents have invited us to meet them this summer for the first time. I have never been to France, & my husband was in Paris in the 1970's. So we plan on making this a 2-week trip, to include a week in Paris. We will spend our first 4 nights or so with the boyfriend's parents, either at their home in Clermont Ferrand, (south of Paris), or at their beach house on the ATlantic coast, (south of NOrmandy & Brittany). Then Richard will take us sightseeing for several nights somewhere where he thinks the crowds will be less. We were thinking of Normandy/Brittany/Mont St. Michel, but my daughter thinks it would take us all day just to see Mont St. Michel because of crowds. So I think our first week will be pretty much planned for us; it's the week in Paris I need help with. Will we get to see a reasonable amount in Paris in a week?

Because of the boyfriend's parents' other obligations, the best time for us to visit them is either the week of July 28 or the week of August 4. We will spend the 2nd week in Paris. I would prefer to come in June but that's not possible. I do have a guide book & have been doing some preliminary planning, & have read that July/August are probably the 2 worst times to visit Paris because of crowds, expense, & heat. What can we really expect? What would typical temps be in Fahrenheit, & what would typical wait lines be for museums, etc.? The reason I ask is that we went to Prague in August 2009 & I had read so many negative things about going there in August (unbearable heat, crowds, etc.) but we really didn't think it was that bad & I would go again in August if necessary. Would Paris be worse than Prague in the summer? I assume Paris is probably more popular than Prague?

How far in advance should we make reservations? I hope to get the dates finalized within several weeks. My daughter's boyfriend thinks we should make our Paris hotel reservations by the end of March. He doesn't live in Paris so he can't recommend a hotel. We are looking for something within 100 - 150 USD, definitely with private bathroom & AC. Any recommendations? My daughter stayed at the Hotel George Sand, 26 Rue des Mathurins, near the OPera House. Is this a convenient location? She was there for a business trip so she didn't have much time for sightseeing, but she liked the hotel & neighborhood. I've read about the various aggrondisements, but it's so difficult to choose the best location without having ever been to Paris. If this helps, we are interested in the following for sightseeing: (some are no-brainers, I assume

Louvre, ARc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Place de la Concorde, Jardin Des Tuileries, Notre DAme, Sainte Chapelle, Musee de l'Orangerie, Place des Vosges, Latin Quarter, Musee d'Orsay, Conciegerie, Versailles. We love just about everything: museums, art, culture, history, walking around quaint/pretty neighborhoods, eating good food, relaxing at cafes.

I hope I'm not rambling, but thought the more you know about our trip, the better advice you can give us.

Thanks for any help/suggestions/advice!
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 05:33 PM

I lived in Paris through two summers. August likely will be hot but not unbearable (probably a bit warmer than Prague). Many restaurants, shops and some museums will not be air conditioned. I found August to be slightly cooler than July.

One of the main reasons not to visit Paris in August is because there will be few locals in town, so it feels less like Paris. Some restaurants (especially very expensive ones and ones in more residential neighbourhoods) will be closed, but you'll still be able to find somewhere nice to eat.

I can't make a specific hotel recommendation because I haven't stayed in a hotel in that price range in Paris for quite some time. However, I will recommend that you check out a couple of chains that will be easy to book (and cancel) online, and that have some nice hotels.

Surprisingly, Best Western has some good value options in Paris (especially those marked "Premier"). They often have a bit of character, too - since they may have been run independently and then become part of BW.

There also are some good Holiday Inn options. Marriot, Starwood and Hilton will be mostly out of your price range, unless you stay in nearby suburbs. The other chain I'd recommend that you check out is Accor, which has hotels ranging from 5* (Sofitel) down to very basic. Accor hotels tend to look more like chain hotels.

The area around Opera is central and convenient. I also recommend the 8th, 16th and 17th arrondissements (I used to live in the 16th). They are less touristy but still convenient. Hotels in the edges of the 16th and 17th might be a little less expensive than more centrally located hotels.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 05:50 PM

If you are staying for a week, consider renting an apartment.

For a first time visit, the 4th/5th/6th are good areas. Opera is fine, quite central

A week is a good amount of time. Think about a Paris Walk or two. A Seine cruise like Vedettes du Pont Neuf is a good one,

You can group your days into areas, then fill in sites. For example; Louvre, Notre Dame and Islands, Marais and Place des Vosges, Eiffel Tower, Left Bank and St Germain Blvd, Sacre Coeur...each of these can be filled out into a nice relaxing day..cafes, museums,etc..
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 05:55 PM

Have been to paris 5 times in the summer and although it is not unbearably hot the whole summer each time we had some days over 90 - to be staying there in the summer without good AC would be lsoe to madness (but I hate hot weather).

And yes, the city will be crowded - but many of the tourists there will be balanced by locals who have left for their vacation at the sea or in the country.

So yes, expect crowds and hot weather (and a lot of places do not have AC) - but it's still Paris and better than not going there at all.

A week is plenty of time to expore a lot of the city, including hot weather time to sei in a cafe and watch the wworld go by - versus just charging from one major sight to another.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.
nytraveler, I agree - we don't want to charge from one major site to another. If we miss a few sites, that's ok. We want to have time to wander, sit, relax & enjoy the ambience. And you have convinced me that it's better to go in August than not at all!
Michel, I have started reading the thread on apartments - 433 replies! It's daunting. The building owned by Virginia Dae (Paris insight) sounds good & reasonable. Do you know anything about it? Why are apartments better (besides the obvious fact they are larger)? Are they generally cheaper? Can you recommend any specific ones?

frogoutofwater, thanks for the tips about the Best Western. I will look into that. Is 150 USD unrealistic? We don't have unlimited funds, unfortunately, & we probably shouldn't go to France this year but we do want to meet our daughter's boyfriend's parents because there is a good chance he will become our son-in-law in the not too distant future

A few more things: I've found another hotel with a similar name: HOtel George SAnd, 18 Avenue Marceau. They have a special rate for 3 nights or more, so the price they give for 7 nights is roughly $840 USD. Sounds too good to be true. Is anyone familiar with this area? (La Defense).

Right now airfares seem to be high for July/August. The lowest I have found so far is $1084 Boston/Paris RT via Icelandair. Any thoughts? Will prices drop?

Many thanks again.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 05:52 PM

Hi Kwoo,

It's Mathieu who you may remember from when corresponded in 2009 about Karlovy Vary and the Hotel Romance, and Ottawa more recently.

Just a few tips and pointers based on my own experience of a month in France including 2 weeks in Paris last October.

1. I was very pleasantly surprised with the Best Western offerings in Paris and Reims. Whereas we in NA may not be too enamoured with their accommodations, they have some very decent and 'chic' properties in France. I stayed in one near Gare Montparnasse (small room beautifully appointed) and another excellent one in Reims (one of the best bathrooms I've ever had). Other chains that I stayed at last year was The Novotel chain, and the Ibis chain. Do check rates online from their home sites, and use hotel.com or booking.com for specials. Expect to pay min. between 95 and 130 euros for a decent but small standard room, with bargains a possibility if you book now, but unlikely for August.

2. Familiarise yourself with an online copy/version of the Paris metro ( http://www.parisfrancetripadvisor.com/mapofparis.php ), print it out and mark on it where the locations of all the sites you've listed are, and hotels you are interested in staying at. You will then have a better idea how they are grouped, and where they are relative to where you might be staying, and what metro lines you need to take to access them. This is not as difficult as it sounds, and you will find it very useful, as many sites are grouped close to each other, and the Paris Metro is really easy to use if you need to. I would very much recommend it for getting around.

I offer this advice given that it is your first time to Paris. Don't worry too much about arrondisements for now; you will understand them better after your initial research. http://www.parisnet.com/parismap.html
Suffice to say that the ones located in central Paris (as you will see on the map) are more convenient to be in, but are also more expensive to live in. Some of the further ones (like the 15th) aren't bad at all, have many good hotels, cost less, and allow you access to the centre by Metro quickly and easily.

I'll post more as your thread develops.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM

With the price of oil so high, it's unlikely that air fare will drop. You can sign up for a fare alert and hope for the best.

Why are apartments better? Well, some people don't think they are. We stay in apartments because we can get more for our money in an unserviced apartment, plus have a kitchen/kitchenette, than we can in a hotel with desk and maid service. I would say that yes, it generally is cheaper, plus you can have breakfast and other light meals in.

All that said, I'm a hotel lover. I've loved hotels since I was child; if I could afford to stay in the type of hotels I prefer, I would.

150 USD is low, but I think it can be done. Try rentparis.com. They have some well located apartments in your price range. Many of them are in the 3rd, but that is a fine place to stay, especially on a budget.

I actually just looked up the hotel you mention and it is not in Paris, but in another town on the outskirts called Courbevoie.

I have stayed in Paris in August. We didn't find it crowded but rather less than say, spring. Also, we were able to negotiate a bit of a better rate as our hotel wasn't that busy. This was around the middle of the month.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:34 AM

La Defense is the business district and for me lacks the charm of staying in Paris so I wouldnt stay there - especially for a first trip. Think high rises and things closed at night - not charming cafes and beautiful architecture.

Try to find something in the 1-6/7 arrondisements - apartments are a great way to go.

That is a pretty low budget, especially for including AC. Try looking at www.eurocheapo.com if you prefer a hotel.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:07 AM

Hey Kwo

Congrats son your trip go about annually headed there in April. Have a look at www.xl.com for air finding good deals
My wife and I are getting over there with AA.com AAdvantage CC points 40000 each good for free flights except for $25 tax per leg.You have time to do something like that. On hotwire.com for 110 euro we snagged Novotel Les Halles their secret Louvre Vendome 4 star hotel.Not a fan of apts small no AC lots of stairs small smelly baths variable quality MANY scammers here and there actually illegal to rent from individuals. www.eurocheapo.com/paris good budget site. PM if I may help further many do.

Happy Trails!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for all of your replies & helpful information. I will check out all the links this weekend when I have more time.

Mathieu, yes I do remember you from posting about Karlovy Vary & Ottawa. We loved Ottawa & I would love to return some day. We didn't have time to see all of the museums, & it's such a pretty city. I will definitely check out the Best Western in Paris.

jamikins, thanks for the tip about La Defense. I will eliminate that hotel from my search because I know we don't want to stay in the business district.

More ideas/suggestions are welcome, and I will post more after I do more research.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:56 AM

The best budget hotel - with AC, and free wifi - we've stayed in has been Hotel Andrea Rivoli. It is wonderfully located in the Marais, walking distance to a great deal, as well as near Metro.
http://web.mac.com/huchett/AndreaGB/Welcome.html

From their website it looks like they have a special August rate of 104euro per night for a deluxe no-smoking room (double). BUT as you want to stay a week, you may be able to negotiate an even better rate. (Certainly, ask them...or anyone you are checking out as a possible. August is a "low" tourist season.)

We've stayed in hotels for a week twice in Paris, the rest of our trips have been for only 3 or 4 nights at the beginning or end of a longer trip elsewhere in France. Now that we've also had experience staying in flats for a week or more in Barcelona, SW France, and Umbria, I would truly lean toward renting a flat in Paris for a week or more. There is nothing better than being able to prepare your own breakfasts and even a dinner or two, and having your own place to curl up for a nap with the ability to make a cup of tea or pour a glass of wine late in the afternoon while your DH is snoring away behind a closed door in the bedroom!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
uhoh_busted, thanks for your tip about the Andrea Rivoli Hotel. I've been on their website. What did you think of the elevator? Can 2 people with luggage fit? It seems so small. Other than that, it seems like a good choice. Would it be comfortable for 7 nights?

I will also consider apartments. I did find one through homeaway.com in the Latin Quarter at 39 rue Galande. Price is right - about $1100 for 7 nights. But they don't mention an elevator or A/C (just ceiling fans). Does this mean it doesn't have A/C or an elevator? I may email but thought I would ask the forum.

Am also looking at the following hotels & would like people's opinions. Some of them get mixed reviews:

Best Western Trianon Rive Gauche, at 1 Bis Rue de Vaugirard, SAint Germain
HOtel Abbatial St. Germain, 46 Bld ST. Germain (1 traveler on Trip Advisor complained of bed bugs)
Hotel Agora Saint Germain
HOtel St. Pierre, Latin Quarter (recommended by someone on this forum)
Familia HOtel
Hotel Minerva
Hotel du College de France

Thanks for all your help.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 07:28 PM

We always stay at the Agora in St Germain, primarily for its location. Good restaurants, a fabulous little market, walkability to Ile Saint-Louis and Ile de la Cite, metro stops etc, etc.

It's a great little hotel, fairly recently renovated with good bathrooms and really helpful 24 hour desk staff, but be aware that many Americans comment on review sites that the rooms are small, and the lift is tiny - if that matters.

As Australians we adore it but I know some North American relatives to whom I recommended it thought the rooms too small. Most European boutique hotels of this size and rating will have small rooms, but Agora is charming in my view and perfectly located to get a feel for Paris.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 08:21 PM

Hi, I have booked the Best Western Louvre Opera in Paris for our trip in May. Our budget was around the same as yours. They do allow cancellations so you may want to book it anyway if it seems appealing to you. They have been very prompt in responding to me emails. I like the location but I can report back in May with more details!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Libretto. We are from the U.S. & I know many Paris hotels have small rooms by our standards. We are on a budget, though, so the Agora seems to fit our needs. What's important to us is price, location & cleanliness. It's helpful to hear from someone who has stayed there.

Is the elevator (lift) big enough for 2 people with suitcases?
We have recently traveled to Barcelona & throughout the Czech Republic, & all our hotel rooms were a good size (including the elevator) but from what I've been reading, it seems like Paris hotel rooms are much smaller.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM

I do not think that the size of the elevator is so important; if it is too small for 2 people with luggage, it will be OK for one people with or without luggage!
IMO more important is A/C, size of the bath and of course, the location.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 08:59 PM

Check Citadine Louvre Paris; there is an apartment hotel, big rooms , A/C and the location is near Louvre and Palais Royal, near 2 metro station. Look in Booking.com for it.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM

I would definately get air conditioning in Aug, not just a fan! M

I have many friends that have been in Aug and they thought it was terrific, so as someone has already said, if u can only go in Aug, Aug it is then!!

If u get an apartment will your daughter and her boyfiend be able to come stay for a day or two?? That would be an advantage to an apartment...and Ive never had a smelly bathroom or been scammed inall the apartments ive rented.

I agree, dont worry about the elevator. Weve been in many where only the luggage fit so we sent it up and ran up the stairs tomeet it!

There os a hotel thread here on fodors, paris hotels left bank and paris hotels right bank, if you need more names, but I think youve got a good selection that seem to get good reviews here. I like the opera area, the edges of the 14 th and 15th for budget prices, marais is always my davorite, also check the 12th close to the bastille.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 04:01 AM

Hi Kwoo, the lift is very small at the Agora, there's room for one person only with a suitcase, but as others have said that can be quite common in European hotels of this type. The hallways are very narrow too, so going up one person at a time is no big deal and probably easier. There is a narrow spiraling staircase which we took instead of the lift. This was part of the fun and even we babyboomers made it up with suitcases and hearts intact!

We found the Agora spotlessly clean, and the staff, especially Aline at the front desk so helpful. We had a major medical issue once and everyone was wonderful.

Some of the rooms are less successfully renovated than others, and smaller, but, having stayed elsewhere, the area always reminds us of how much we love Paris. I think the double room bathrooms (on the whole) are not as small as some in other similar Parisian hotels I've stayed at.

If you don't mind church bells the rooms overlooking the street are slightly larger....and we preferred them to the rooms overlooking the internal "courtyard".

Hope you have a fantastic trip!
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 05:56 AM

The standard for elevators in France seems to be tiny. We have used the "send the luggage up and take the stairs" process many times. Or one goes up with most of the luggage while the other takes the stairs with the rest. We also usually take the ele up and walk down the stairs during the course of a day/night when we're headed out on the town. Rooms are generally small. There may be a desk with a chair, but there's not a lot of room to lounge about except for the bed. We have stayed in these little rooms for a week, and not minded the cosyness because it fit our budget, and we were only there to sleep. Only recently have we been seduced by apartment life. We stayed 7 nights last fall in a small hotel in Rome and were very comfortable...but the place was brand new, the room spacious and the storage for baggage and clothing ample. We then moved to a one bedroom flat in Umbria for 2 weeks. We discovered how wonderful it was to just hang out over breakfast, or sit out on the terrace with a glass of wine and cold cuts for lunch or dinner. In Umbria we found we ate wonderful lunches while touring during the day and made our own gourmet meals for dinner...but Paris is PARIS, and I doubt we would do the same over the course of "just" a week in that wonderful city.

You may find budget will drive your decisions. If I were you, I would make a cancelable reservation for a hotel, so that you know that you have something at your target price nailed down; then start looking for apartments to see if you can find a similar price for clearly more room. Search this forum for Paris apartments to start. Homeaway is only one agency...look also at vrbo and Go France for some others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -