Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotels..Le Madison vs. The Artus????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am booked at The Artus for a trip in May, but Le Madison looks comparable, and it is about $60/night cheaper. I am totally unfamiliar with Le Madison.

I welcome any suggestions in this price range, 150-230 Euros. Looking for a nice, small three or four star in St. Germain.

Thank you

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:37 AM

We have stayed at the Madison a number of times, and it's our favorite hotel in Paris--so much so that I've stopped looking at others. The location is excellent: right across the Blvd. St-Germain from the church of the same name, making the hotel within easy walking distance of the Seine, Paul's boulangerie for breakfast, the Ste-Chapelle...hard to beat. However, your price range won't get you one of the large rooms facing the boulevard at the Madison; those are now up to about 260 Euros (but that does include a lavish buffet breakfast). However, for our stay last September we got an Orbitz rate of 220 Euros, and it's possible that you could find a discount.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Underhill, whoever you are. I feel like you are my personal travel consultant for this little trip. I appreciate all of your informed insight.

The location is my favorite; so perfectly central. I am going through a little sticker shock - combining Paris prices with the weak dollar, and, as you know, you have ridiculous hotel rates. I mean, four or five years ago, I stayed at the Ritz for about $350 a night, and now, the Hotel de Buci wants that for a 125 sq. ft. single!

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:02 AM

In this range of prices, you have the Hotel Left Bank Saint Germain which is at the metro stop Odeon...A very good 3 star hotel! They have a online reservation system that is working very well (very fast!)...http://www.leftbankstgermain.com!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I ignored this post because I didn't know much about either hotel, but now that I see Hotel Left Bank mentioned, I wanted to speak up. I've spent two visits at Hotel Left Bank, once for two weeks, and it is nice. But then I discovered Hotel LeRegent about a block away where the rooms were nicer, the air conditioning could be individually controlled (we froze at the Left Bank in July) and about the same price, for a deluxe room. I much preferred Le Regent to the Hotel Left Bank.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Patrick,

Thanks for the reference to Hotel Le Regent. Is it much trouble to get from there to the CD airport, (on a Monday morning)?

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM

It depends on what time in the a.m. you are leaving Paris. Monday morning should be no different than the other days of the week. Around early morning (6-7 a.m.) there's really no traffic exiting Paris. You'll probably experience much more traffic the later it gets. BTW, the traffic going into Paris is heavy from aroung 7 a.m.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I heard that the Artus's rooms are pretty small for the high rates. I would rather book a nice twin room and ask for one that has a church view at Le Madison instead. I know the Artus has lots of fans, but I saw the website and the rooms don't really look all that special. I suppose it's due to the style which is lots different than that of Le Madison's.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Underhill... Could you answer a couple of questions about the Madison. A reviewer on TripAdvisor said that "the beds were short for anyone over 5'10". We have a couple of 6'2" travelers. Which room set ups would you recommend? Also, sounds like the rooms overlooking the blvd. were more spacious and more attractive than those overlooking the courtyard or church. Do you have a few favorites? We'll need three rooms. Thanks a million!