paris hotels/ first time there...

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paris hotels/ first time there...

my husband and I are taking our first trip to Paris...I need sugestions on specific hotels. I've read quite a few reviews on the different arrondissements but I wish that I could narrow down the best hotels for our budget...rating would probably be in the low 4 stars. Our preference is to stay away from the large chain, and get some character/charm/local flare???!! HELP PLEASE!!
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 08:37 PM

Chick, tell us about yourselves. What kind of hotels do you stay at when you vacation? What price range are you looking for? (oxymoron: a 4-star hotel to fit in your budget. People who stay in 4-stars don't have budgets, or at least budgets for hotels.)
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 04:21 AM
ira

Hi Chick,

You don't get character/charm/local flair in 4* hotels. You get 'world-class' service, decor and amenities.

You are looking for 2&3* places, of which there are many in the 5th, 6th and 7th districts.

Try a text search for "paris and hotel and 6th"
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 08:52 AM

Chick:

As first-timers, I'd think you want to be in the 6th, 5th or maybe even the 7th(quieter, less lively). The 6th (Saint Germain) would be my pick. Take a look at the Rue Jacob area.

Go to the "hotels" section on Fodors' main page. Fodors provides comments on each hotel listed. Travellers also have provided their rants/raves about most hotels. These should help you narrow it down. Then you can come here and do searches on particular hotels.

Don't let this part of the planning get to you...it's half the fun!
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 09:51 AM
ira

Hi Chick,

If you go to http://pagesjaunes.voila.fr/pj.cgi

and enter Hotel
Rue Bonaparte
Paris

You will get 3 listings
3* Hotel Saint Germain des Prés
2* Hotel Bonaparte (Where I always stay)
2* Hôtel Saint-Georges

You will also be able to see pictures of the properties and a map of the area. I think that you will find this to be a very good location.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Chick,
If you want a 4* hotel, I do believe you can find one with character/charm/local flare. I stay in one every time I go to Paris: Le Lavoisier. It's in a quiet area of the 8th arr., which as a popular a tourist location (one of the reasons I choose it).
I'm sure there are many other charming 4* hotels that are in the 5th, 6th and 7th arr., where most people on this board will recommend that you stay as a first timer in Paris.
Be prepared to spend at least 200 Euros per night for a 4* hotel in Paris, however. If this is not within your budget (and people who choose 4* hotels do have spending budgets, I realize) then you should consider some of the 3* and 2* hotels that have been recommended.
Diane
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 11:21 AM

Sorry, meant to say that the quiet area in the 8th where I stay is NOT as popular a tourist location as other areas/arrondisements.

Diane
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Hi Chick,
We just returned from 10 days in France. In Paris we stayed at the Relais Bosquest in the 7th. It's a 3-star, but better than the 4-star we stayed at previously. The room was 160 Euros for a double. Try www.digital.france.com for several other listings with reviews. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 11:48 AM

I think there is a wide variety of 4* hotels from not-too-expensive to very expensive, and different styles (small, charming to more std. business style), so I think you request is reasonable. However, you have to say what your budget is and what part of Paris you want to stay.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Hi Chick,
Make that web site http://digital.france.com . Sorry,
Bob
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Chick- I highly recommned le Madison hotel , in the 6th on Blvd. Saint Germain- www.madison-hotel.com
If you do a text search under Madsion Hotel, you can read many of the favorable comments on this board, including mine.
Here is the low down:The hotel is charming while still maintaining American standards, I suggest one of the deluxe rooms, they're decorated beautifully.
The staff is exceptional, there is a full buffet breakfast & the location can't be beat; with great restaurants, shopping, Musee d'Orsay, Louvre & Notre Dame all within walking distance.
Best of luck...Fluffy
Viva la France
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 12:44 PM

I recently returned from a trip to Europe that included a stop in Paris. I choose the Hotel Cluny Square because of its location. The location is perfect for many reasons: its in the Latin Quarter; walking distance to Notre Dame, the Louvre, Muse de Orsay, Muse de Cluny and other places; many restaurants and businesses are nearby (including the most wonderful internet café I?ve ever been to); and a RER stop at the door step. Their website indicated that they have an elevator and air conditioning and so I was sold. Unfortunately, what their website failed to say was that reception is one flight up and the elevator is in reception. Hauling suitcases up a flight of stairs is not so difficult except that their staircase is a tight spiral staircase! The air conditioning was an old single unit over the door that did not cool, but only blew air at a very slow speed with no way to adjust the speed. The Blvd St. Michel is very busy all night long and the traffic noise often made sleeping with the windows open difficult. In addition to those problems, the Hotel Cluny Square has a big issue with room key control and will give a room key to anyone requesting it. Noting this, I made sure that my valuables were either on me or in the in-room safe and that my suitcase was locked when I left the room. However, this did not deter a thief who gained access to my room with a key and broke open the safe. Filling out a police report in the wee hours of the morning was not the way I wanted to end my stay in Paris. Those things coupled with the transportation strikes made Paris my least favorite stop. Indeed Paris seems overrated and I experienced none of the ?magic? that everyone said I would find.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Chick- sorry that web address is www.hotel-madison.com
Fluffy
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 04:02 PM

Sorry about your poor stay at Hotel Cluny Square. Thank you for letting us know about what it was like for you. It helps because I was considering this place as it offers very low rates in summer. Now we know why. Maybe yours was just an unfortunate experience that's a one time thing-hopefully. Sounds like it could have been an inside job.

I stayed at hotels where your key is given without question; I'm hoping that the front desk staff got familiar with who the guests were and that's why the key was given out without question. But maybe we were just fortunate.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For Chick... I think the arrondisement you choose is MUCH more important than the specific hotel. It is easy to avoid chain hotels in Paris and find some charm. But it is necessary, as others have mentioned, to know your budget range to make a suggestion. And if the #-star rating important to you.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 02:57 PM

Hey Bob Henderson-tell me more about Relais Bosquet. I have a few days booked there in July, but I'm weighing it against a few others in the 7th
such as Le Tourville.
Mark
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:55 PM

We just got home after 3 weeks across France. While in Paris we stayed in the 7th at the Hotel Muguet. It's 2 stars but was immaculate. Rooms can be small. Lovely small hotel with helpful, English speaking staff. They did have some rooms that opened onto a courtyard. 2 blocks to Rue Cler which was a wonderful area - great frommage and pastries and foie gras. Yum.....
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:22 PM

For the Muguet, I checked and the manager/owner, Catherine, won't promise a room that has an Eiffel Tower view. I am curious to know if repeat guests have priority or they're awarded randomly. Same thing goes for the other popular hotels-who gets the nicer rooms?
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 04:50 AM

We just returned from Paris where we stayed at the Hotel des Saintes-Peres in the 6th. We have stayed there the last couple of trips and like it better than any hotel we've stayed at in Paris. Most,if not all, rooms are on a courtyard so it is quiet. The hotel is air conditioned. The rooms are charming and spacious for Paris hotels; the baths modern and spacious and the staff is great. It is located near the Blvd St. Germaine and 5 minutes from two Metro stations. Our rooms were E150 per night in late May, early June but I think rates are higher for the summer. Wherever you stay, you will love Paris.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 04:59 AM

Contrary to some of the other comments, I agree with Christine and Diane that the 4-star category covers a wide range of hotels, some absolutely charming and "local" in feeling, some cold business hotels, some the top of the luxury rung like the Ritz, 800 euro per night, but many not. 4-star does not necessarily mean not wanting to stick to a budget.

My favorite 4-star is the d'Aubussson, in the 6th. Excellent location in the 6th, pretty decor, museum pass sold in the lobby, (pricey) good breakfast available, all basic amenities.

You can do a search on it here, or at fodors Paris hotel comments.
I also have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]