Search

Paris Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotels

I am planning my first trip to Paris with the man I hope to marry for the end of May and am having a very difficult time locating an affordable, yet clean and comfortable hotel. I'm a bit spoiled and used to staying in luxury properties with 350 count sheets, down pillows and marble baths. When beginning my hotel research I was speachless by how expensive hotels are in Paris. I really don't want to spend $450/night but am willing to spend $250-$300. I prefer a quiet location off the beaten path, but close enough to walk to the must see locations and get a feel for the city. Any ideas based on my tast and price range or should I lower my standards?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:20 PM

This thread might be worth considering:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34480206
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:28 PM

I would venture to guess that there are less than a dozen people who frequent this message board who pay anything like $450 for a nice hotel in Paris. I'd guess that more than half of them pay $100-$200 for a nice room, and the rest under $100. The fact is, Paris is a bargain when it comes to hotels.

Do a search for Paris hotels and you will find literally hundreds of suggestions from savvy travelers who can a find you a very nice room in Paris for $100-$175.

What sort of search did you do that you came up with hotels costing $450 a night?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Quite easy, St.Cirq. I'm guessing tlepard has looked at the famous hotels of Paris -- Ritz, Crillon, Geroge V., Plaza Athenee. The list could go on.

tlepard. I suggest you change directions. Look at a very beautifully decorated and upscale hotel that happens to be more "charming" than "glamorous". Particularly look at Relais St. Germain. It will be around $300 a night. You will have a lovely large room decorated with panache and with a combination of comfortable furniture, nice antiques, and many small decor items giving it a homey feeling. It won't be in the "expensive" 1st with the other luxury hotels, but rather in the more quaint and seemingly French 6th, just a half block off Odeon metro (although if you prefer to take taxis, that is easy from there as well). In this case it really isn't lowering your standards, but more a matter of readjusting them.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:33 AM

tlepard:

What a lovely dilemma! You don't say if you prefer romantic, Louis XV style or modern luxury. One hotel (not modern) which caught my eye while strolling was the Chateau Frontenac (8th) near the Grand Palais & Champs Elysee (superior double: 285 euro). It was a charming, elegant area devoted to haute coiture.

I think you'd find a lot to choose from at WWW.VENERE.COM. You can "shop" by area...hotels are laid out on a map. Then come to fodors and search for feedback. I usually don't find anything I can afford at venere...but, I love to scroll thru their site. The Fontenac is listed.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:35 AM
ira

>I am planning my first trip to Paris with the man I hope to marry for the end of May ...<

GRAMMAR POLICE ALERT:

Who will you marry in June?
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Be aware that there is a holiday in France at the end of May, just as there is in the US. I once arrived to find everything closed.

As to hotels, venere is a good place to shop. I also suggest looking on tripadvisor.com where you can find reviews & links to prices/price comparisons.

The Hotel Raphael is very romantic. Their rooftop restaurant is ooh-la-la. Maybe you could find some special offers. Lastminute.com and laterooms.com are 2 English websites that have discounts (listed in pounds).

Also check Le Duc St Simon in the 7th arr.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:47 AM

The Duc de St.-Simon is very nice; so are the Hôtel de l'Abbaye and the d'Aubusson. All are, alas, fairly pricey. You might check out the Hôtel Madison (in the 6th); good location, very nice rooms, and a little less expensive than the above.