Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Final selection Paris hotels - anyone care to comment?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my previous thread has passed its use-by date. It disappears too quickly down the list!!

From a long list of possibles, I have, with the help of this forum plus tripadvisor and other sources, whittled our Paris hotel choices down to 3:
Familia
Jeanne d'Arc
Flor Rivoli

Anyone care to help me get it down to just 1?

Interestingly, all are in different areas, so comments on localities as well as on rooms, services, breakfasts, friendliness etc would be valuable.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

topping for opinions
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:55 PM

Hi twoflower, it might be helpful if you included some info about the location of each hotel. At least include the full name of the hotel so that the name can be googled easily. Even the Fodors contributors who live in Paris can't be expected to know the name of every single hotel in Paris Good luck with your search.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:00 AM

I think, if you have confirmed availability, and if you decide a/c isn't necessary (and it prob isn't in Sept),then the first two are the real 'final' candidates. Both locations are good, both hotels have been popular for some time. You'll have to maybe make a list of pros/cons as you re-read TA comments until you can make a decision. If you type 'familia' and 'jeanne d'arc' into this forum search, you can probably pull up some past comments as well.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM

you know what - one criteria that gives Familia an extra point is its proximity between two beautiful large gardens. J d'Arc has Place des Vosges, but I really like those huge park-like gardens, plenty of space for a quiet sit or plenty of people to watch - either can be found.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:24 AM

Hotel Familia is "Fully air conditioned since April 25, 2007."

Byrd
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM

Yeah, but the Jeanne d'Arc is not...
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM

I haven't stayed in any so can't say personally what the rooms are like, but they are all well-known hotels and those are their full names, pretty much. I guess Jeanne d'Arc has the word "grand" in front of hotel, officially, but there is another hotel with that name, also -- this is the one in the Marais. The Flor Rivoli is near Chatelet metro and the Familia near Cardinal Lemoine metro at the far end or rue des Ecoles.

Personally, I'd choose the Jeanne d'Arc for location and style. The Flor Rivoli is just a tad too modern/ugly for my tastes, but that's just my personal taste, I like more traditional style.

I'd forget about the breakfast as cheap breakfasts don't amount to much in Paris hotels (baguette, coffee, croissant), and they cost extra anyway, so I always go out for mine. The Familia claims it is "included" which is illegal (to force you to pay for it) so I suppose if you said you didn't want it they would claim your room would be the same rate, anyway. I don't know, but since it's about 15 euro more a night anyway, you won't come out ahead. The hotel could be more comfortable a bit, it does have a minibar which I like.

I would choose the Jeanne d'Arc myself considering cost and location. I don't care for the location of the Familia, think it's kind of dull around there and inconvenient and away from things. I'm not sure what two large gardens Travelnut is referring to as it being between, as it isn't really between two gardens. Jardin des Plantes is maybe five blocks or so east, and the Arenes de Lutece is about the same distance to the southeast, I guess, maybe a bit closer. But the Arenes isn't what I'd call a garden. Well, I wouldn't choose the Familia for that reason, in any case.

I also don't care for the location of the Flor Rivoli, but I've never stayed right around Chatelet so maybe it would be better than I am thinking just from being around the area. Generally, I would personally never stay in such a busy, touristed area and not around rue de Rivoli or the Louvre, but a lot of first-time tourists seem to like being around the Louvre in a hotel, so who knows, you may also. I'm not sure if you are a first-timer or not, but I'm guessing you are if you don't know these areas.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 08:21 AM

We stayed at the Jeanne D'Arc in 2001 and really enjoyed the area and the hotel. The surrounding streets and the square behind it were very interesting and it was an easy walk to left bank. Later in the week we moved to the Grandes Ecoles in the 5th and although I loved the hotel and the pretty outside eating area I like staying in the Marais better.

This spring we are staying at the Hôtel Saint-Thomas d’Aquin on the border of 6th and 7th in an area I really like between St. Germain and the Seine. I would have returned to the Jeanne D'arc (especially since it is priced so well), but decided to try out this new place.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Are all 3 available for your dates?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 11:35 AM

I was referring to J. de Luxembourg and J. des Plantes.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

These are really good comments. Yes, while I had narrowed it down to these 3, my DW had actually narrowed it down to the first 2 only. Like you, Christina, she was not attracted to the interior photos of the Flor Rivoli.

Yes there are 2 Jeanne d'Arcs. One (the one that usually has "Grand" in front of it) is in the 13eme. It has indifferent reviews. I am talking about the one in rue de Jarente, in the 4eme (Marais district) - although if you google it, the first entry to appear puts the word "Grand" in front of that one.

Confusing?
Confusing?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about the repetition of my last remark above! I got called away and had to wrap up my message in a hurry!

I was moving on to say that we have now (before reading most of these comments) made a booking at the Familia. No particular reason - it was a real toss-of-the-coin choice! But it won't be our last time in Paris, and we'll be exploring the Marais this time as well, so we'll check out Jeanne d'Arc as a possibility for a future trip.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I stayed at the Familia a few years ago and was very happy. There was a bakery across the street and a small covenience/grocery shop a few doors down. You can use the minifridge in you room for your own drinks and food. And Notre Dame is about a 5 minute walk away.

Jeanne d'arc is a very popular hotel too, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Familia.