Paris Hotel ? Which district...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Paris from 4/21 - 4/25 and trying to choose hotel. First - which would be best district to be in for location, safety, shopping, cafes,metro stations etc. I will be with teenage daughter. If anyone could suggest reasonable hotels in several districts - that would be great. I've found some great packages on expedia.com but have to pick a hotel and I'm lost. Thanks
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:59 AM

I will be there also with my daughter, but just for one night.. we want to stay in the 6th because we really want to see Musee D'Orsay and that looks pretty good. We are coming in to the Paris Nord train station..that is all I know, so we are looking also..my message is posted just before yours, check any responses to mine..
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:05 AM

Although I was disappointed with our extremely tiny room (others have said they have larger ones, but we somehow couldn't get one) I'd think the Libertel Bellechase is ideal for you Alice. It is only about a block from the Museum d'Orsay and the RER is right there as well. Actually that was the reason we stayed there as we were returning for a single night before flying home and wanted to do the D'Orsay, although if was closed for a &quot;special event&quot; once we got there!<BR><BR>To MOM, I'd stick with the 6th also, near Odeon. It's convenient to everything you mention and has a lively feel to it. A search here will yield you TOO MUCH information. My first choice would probably be LeRegent on Rue Dauphine with a superior room that will be about 180 euro. There are numerous others if that is a bit beyond your budget. Or if you're looking at some great packages, why not tell us the possible hotels and let posters comment on them if you can't find enough info here by typing in the hotels name in the search box?
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:10 AM

Patrick: which Street is the Libertel Bellechase on, do you know??I could telephone them, or maybe email?? thanks, alice
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:15 AM

try a link from<BR>www.libertel.com
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Could you tell me what district the 6th is - on the expedia site I can't type the # I need name - Opera, Montparnasse that way I can check hotels and then post for opinions thanx
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:44 AM

First the 6th is the district number (called arrondisement in Paris), but in postal code terms it is 75006. I don't know how Expedia works or what they want. Often those sites just have you look by area just as center city, airport, etc. If it is description, it would be called &quot;Saint Germain&quot;, most likely, for the 6th.<BR><BR>www.libertel-hotels.com (note, the link from Elaine above is wrong, I believe -- some Russian site) has a lot of good information on their hotels. The information includes phone and FAx numbers, as well as email addresses. I just booked a LIbertel hotel yesterday, using the email address I found on there (because I could not get their web site's reservation system to work, and I prefer direct contact anyway), and the hotel &quot;chef de reception&quot; responded immediately (within 1 day) with terms and room descriptions, very efficient. They wanted me to FAX them my CC number for confirmation of the reservation.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

I've narrowed down a list of hotels and would like some input - will be with teenage daughter so safety, cafes, metro stations nearby a must. Heres the list Le Relais St. Jacques - Pavillon Louvre Rivoli, Copatel Rochambeau, Hotel de La Bordonnais, Citadines Aprt'hotel Les Halles and Hotel Observatoire Luxemorg. If anyone has stayed at these hotels would appreciate your reviews - these are on the expedia vacation plan I am using - thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Gino

Libertel Bellechasse is located at <BR>8 Rue de Bellechasse<BR>75007<BR>Paris<BR>France<BR>Tel: +33 1-45502231<BR>Doubles run about 175 euros/night. You might want to call them for their best price.<BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:02 AM

I haven't stayed at those, but from location (and things I know about them), I personally would rule out the Citadines Les Halles and the Copatel. First, Les Halles is not that nice an area to stay and the main advantage of Citadines is they have kitchenettes. You won't need that on a short stay and otherwise, they aren't charming nor have character. <BR><BR>The Copatel I'd reject due to location in the 8th arr in-between St-Augustin and Miromesnil metro stops. It is true I don't know that area so well so I could be off base, but that's a more expensive area and not as fun or interesting to wander around, and things will be more expensive (cafes, etc) and perhaps sedate. With your other choices, I just wouldn't choose that one at all (the hotel is not top scale for that area, either, and looks bland).
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Mom -<BR><BR>I have no personal experience with any of those on your short list, but know I've seen feedback on most of them here. Relais St. Jacques definitely has lots of positive comments and is in a great area, but I'm guessing it's also the most expensive choice? I think I've seen some good remarks re the Bourdonnais as well, and perhaps the Louvre Rivoli. The last two on your list are a bit less central/desirable as far as location, I believe; you can check that, get maps and street photos on the pagesjaunes.fr site<BR><BR>If you've not already tried a text search, type the two most unique words re each hotel into the search box; I'm pretty sure you'll come up with plenty of threads on most.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Christina - so if I eliminate the 2 you suggested - that leaves 4 - out of these do you have any suggesions? Observatoire Luxemborg in in 5th, Bodonnais is in 7th, Louvre Rivoli is in 1&amp;2 and Relais St Jacques is in 5&amp;6. The hotel Gino listed is not part of the expedia plan. Thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Lesli - Thanks that narrows it down some for me - actually as for pricing - Because I'm doing a vacation package from expedia with airfare 3 days in aix-en-provence and the 4 in paris the difference between the 3 remaini hotels st jacques, rivoli and boronnais is only 200.00 out of these 3 which one would you suggest?
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 12:01 PM

Well, I really think you should do some searching for feeback from those who've actually stayed at these hotels before you make a final decision. On this board, on tripadvisor.com, and on paris.org.<BR><BR>If the price difference isn't a significant factor, my personal choice would be the Relais St. Jacques, the Bourdonnais, then the Louvre Rivoli, in that order. I base that on the combination of decor and location, as well as my recollection re feedback.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Here are some websites I found for you with reviews of the 3 hotels you're considering. The Bourdonnais near the Eiffel Tower sounds good. The Relais St Jacques gets one TERRIBLE review on tripadvisor but is listed on Karen Brown which is usually reliable. The Louvre Rivoli - the only one on the right bank actually sounds like it may be the most expensive (I understand not for you) but is in a more touristy location (not necessarily a bad thing)<BR><BR>Bourdonnais<BR>http://www.epinions.com/content_60024393348<BR>http://adserver.thisislondon.co.uk/html.ng/size=1x1&amp;site=tit&amp;pos=305&amp;channel=coun try<BR><BR>Saint Jacques<BR>http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d228714-r711834-Le_Relais_Saint_Jacques_Hotel-Paris_Ile_de_France.html<BR><BR>http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUrl-g187147-d228714-r792946-e<BR><BR>Louvre Rivoli<BR>http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...de_France.html
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Apparently the Relais St. Jacques (4 star) and Observatoire Luxembourg (3 star) are under the same ownership - there are links to the other hotel on the websites.<BR><BR>http://www.parisplanet.com/rel/index.html<BR><BR>http://www.parisplanet.com/obs/index.html<BR><BR>The Observaroire is actually rather a nice location just by the Luxembourg metro and park of the same name. The Relais St. Jacques is further south than I'd imagined - a nice area, but just slightly further away from things than the other choices.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
mom817<BR><BR>We stayed at the Relais Saint-Jacques last July. A quiet area very close to Jardins Luxembourg &amp; 20 minute walk from Pont Neuf etc. Good rooms for Paris (we had a superior), efficient staff - just over 200 euro.<BR><BR>I'll go back.