Restaurants and hotels in Paris 6th

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, following advice from fellow posters I need some help. Four of us (2 couples) are spending 2 nights in Paris on the way to a wedding mid December and arrive 9.40am from Hong Kong. We have all been to Paris before so don't really need to do all the "must see's", we'd prefer to relax and soak up the feel of Paris. We would like to stay in an area with great atmosphere and good cafes, wine bars etc., so are leaning toward the 6th. I have read the reviews on hotels and still can't make a decision. We are all early 30's, like good food and wine, and would like to keep our budget to 300e per night per couple. Any advice to hotels and restaurants.....or should we look at a different area? Thank you!!
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:29 AM
ira

Hi hk,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 128E dbl w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC and an elevator.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

Old May 14th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Hi hkgirl,

This question has been asked many times. Have you done a search on this board under paris hotels and restaurants or just searching on paris? Most people are looking for advice on the 3, 4, 6, 7 arrondisement in Paris so you're sure to find lots of info here.
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:44 AM

And like Palenque I am trying to be helpful as a search will give you lots more info in addition to the responses to this post.

BTW as nice as the Bonaparte Hotel is, it is not a 300 a night Euro hotel. If that's what you're looking for you may be disappointed.
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:48 AM

I meant 300 Euro a night hotel.
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I have done a search and probably just confused myself even more with too much choice! Thanks Ira, I have looked at Bonaparte and it looks ok, I guess I want the perfect decision made for me!!! The hotel doesn't have to be up to 300e per night, just preferably no more. Has anyone heard of Saint Gregoire or Hotel Verneuil. Also Hotel Luxembourg Parc - has anyone stayed here, in what type of rooms - are the classic rooms tiny? Many, thanks again!!
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM

I've stayed at the Verneuil twice. It's in a nice position more in St. Germain although it's formally listed to be in the 7th district. It's a block and a half from both Blvd. St. Germain and rue Jacob. Further on is rue de Buci.

The hotel itself is traditionally decorated, very small standard rooms (not uncommon in Paris though). If you can stay in a deluxe category as they are more roomy. Bathrooms are in marble and have shower/tub combinations. I really like the hotel as it's quietly located yet not far from the activities in the area.
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:56 AM

On a recent trip we deviated from our usual selection in the 5th and stayed in the 6th right by the Carrefour de Odeon. We were not thrilled with the hotel (Hotel Odeon) but loved the area. Your budget would encompass the Relais St. Germain, which is directly on the Carrefour and a very nice hotel (though they are doing some remodeling right now which you'd want to check). Since you'd be staying at the hotel, I'd also expect that would put you in good position to score a table at Le Comptoir, the Yves Camdeborde restaurant of the hotel and the toughest reservation in town right now.

Other nice places in the area to check on are: D'Aubusson, which gets raves here all the time, Buci, and Madison--all of which always look very nice as we've walked by them and as I've collected their brochures.

Good restaurants in the 6th include:
Ze Kitchen Galerie--a Pat Wells favorite, Les Bouquinistes, Le Comptoir mentioned above, and one of our favorites La Mediterranee, just up the street from the Carrefour de Odeon. A more casual, but equally good place is Fish La Boissonerie. The 6th is a nice arrondissement to stay in and to eat in. Enjoy
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM
yk

Restaurants in the 6th where we ate last year on our trip:

Le Temps Perdu
54, rue de Seine
75006 Paris
01 46 34 12 08
http://www.le-temps-perdu.com/

€17,80 for 2-course menu; or €24,70 for 3-course. DH & I had 2-course only.

Entrées - DH had their homemade tomato tartare (very light and delicious), I had soup with mussels + vegetable julienne

Plats - DH had rabbit with mustard sauce, I had duck confit with hash browns

Overall pretty good food though my duck was on the dry side. Dinner for 2 was €50

Le Petit Saint Benoit
4, rue Saint-Benoît
75006 Paris
Phone 01 42 60 27 92
http://www.petit-st-benoit.com/

This place has been around for years and was packed on the Friday night we went. Tables were close together.

I don't think they have prix-fixe menus. We ordered a la carte.

DH had escargots and then plat du jour which was panfried sole with boiled potatoes.

I had soup de legume, then grilled lamb shank with mashed potatoes.

For desserts, DH had a lemon meringue which is served in a hollowed-out lemon! I had another fromage blanc with miel.

Our bill was €50,50 for 2.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Madison Hotel on St. Germain is mentioned above by Julie Vikmanis. The location,the breakfast, the rooms, and the public spaces are all top quality. However, I do recommend upgrading to a room overlooking the street as the back rooms are rather dark.
Another good one is the Relais de Medicis near the Odeon.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM

My wife and I have stayed at the Pas des Calais <http://www.pasdescalais.com> It is right off the blvd St. Germain and withing walking distance to many shops and restaurants (some famous) Close to Metro. Very nice, from our point of view, check it out.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Weekender

I have stayed at both the Verneuil and the Luxembourg Parc. Both are very charming with the Verneuil being very "French". Francophile is correct, however, regarding the room sizes as the standard room is too claustrophobic. Pricewise, my deluxe room at the Verneuil was the same as a superior at the Luxembourg Parc. (Will be going back to the Lux Parc in the fall at the rate of €279/night. You might also consider the Hotel de l'Abbaye-request a larger room. All three are wonderful places to stay.

Old May 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM

We love the Hotel Le Regent, 61 Rue Dauphine. For restaurants, Chez Maitre Paul, Chez Dumonet "Josephine", had a great meal at the Relais Odeon which someone else mentioned. You can find my trip report by clicking on my name which goes into much more detail on all of the above.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM

TPAYT, glad to see your rec for the Relais de Medicis. We've looked at it a couple of times and thought it would be very nice. Another we looked at and liked was the Hotel le Senat on rue Vaugirard. it's been recently remodeled in the trendy, minimalist style but has some elegance as well.

And I can heartily second the rec for Chez Maitre Paul, especially the chicken in jura wine with morel mushrooms, creamy and wonderful.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM

And a hearty second for Hotel le Regent, rue Dauphine.

And just around the corner is a good, "homey" restaurant, Chez Fernand, on rue Christine.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:15 PM

bookmarking
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic everyone, thank you so much. I will have a good look at the hotels and restaurants mentioned and let you know. Many thanks!
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:59 AM

My husband and I are in your age group, and we really like Villa D'Estrees in the 6th; it's very close to the Seine, and near the border of the 5th, so it is very easy to walk everywhere. It should be within your budget; rooms are large for Paris, and it's nicely decorated. We are in Paris now, in an apartment a few blocks west of that hotel, and the location is even better than we remembered.
www.hotelvilladestreesparis.com
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Weekender

I am going to try a new place in December, the Hotel Saint Vincent. www.hotelsaintvincentparis.com

Old May 16th, 2008, 10:16 AM

I second Relais St. Germain and restaurant Le Comptoir (hotel guests snag seating first). Lovely hotel and, like Julie, I love the location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -