Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel on the river with view of the Louvre...what's the name?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2002, 05:36 AM
jeanne

I've come across messages here about this hotel, but I can't remember the name. Can someone help me out? Messages tended to recommend this hotel for first time in Paris because of the view. Thanks.

Old May 25th, 2002, 07:18 AM
xxx

I was racking my brains to think of what hotel this might be, since I remember looking at the hotels in the area as we walked by. There's Hotel du Quai Voltaire, which has gotten mixed reviews here, but I think there was another with the name Louvre in its name. Hopefully someone else will remember.

Old May 25th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Grasshopper

I stayed at Quai du Voltaire for a week from Christmas to New Years. The view was absolutely fababulous. It is not a place for someone who wants luxury (but most in that price range in Paris are small and not luxurious). It was clean and comfy. It is not also a place for anyone who doesn't want to walk. The nearest metro stop (Orsay) is 400 meters. There are restaurants and patisseries no less than 2 blocks away. There is street noise but I found it no worse than anywhere else I've stayed. The bathroom was fine with a shower stall but no bath or bidet. I understand other rooms have a bath but no shower so be sure you specify. Also, be sure you get a room in front or there is no point in being there at all! There was no TV but I'm a reader.<BR><BR>That said, if you go with your eyes open and reasonable expectations Quai du Voltaire can be a good choice. The price was also right. In Decemeber it was about $120.

Old May 25th, 2002, 08:42 AM
janis

I also stayed at Hotel du Quai Voltaire and really enjoyed it. But as with most Paris hotels the rooms vary a great deal. The ones on the top two floors facing the river seem to be the best and on the fifth floor actually luxurious. For a 2** it is quite good. A nice lounge, friendly desk staff, a small bar, elevator, etc. I even ate breakfast there one morning (I don't usually eat in the hotel in Paris) and it was very good.<BR><BR>I will definitely stay there again. It was great sitting at my 6th floor window, drinking a room service cognac, waving at the boats going past on the river. And it is walking distance from everything.<BR><BR>It is definitely not POSH, but it may be the best 2 star hotel I have stayed in. A great choice if you want a wonderful location at a budget price.

Old May 25th, 2002, 08:44 AM
jeanne

Voila! Hotel du Quai Voltaire..that's the one I was trying to think of. Thanks for your tips. <BR>Jeanne

Old May 25th, 2002, 08:46 AM
janis

I meant to add that the view from my top floor room spanned all the way from Place de la Concorde to one of the towers of Notre Dame and directly across at the Louvre. From my door down the lift to the Louvre pyramid took exactly 4 minutes - and that was because I had to wait for a traffic light.

Old May 25th, 2002, 11:02 PM
Barbara

I have been trying to email the Hotel du Quai Voltaire with no luck. Can anyone help us please.<BR>Thank you, Barbara

Old May 27th, 2002, 06:41 PM
jeanne

Is this the addy you're using?<BR> [email protected]<BR><BR>I got that address here:<BR>http://www.quaivoltaire.fr/ <BR>(site under construction).