Paris hotel in good area for touring?

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris hotel in good area for touring?

I'm looking to stay in the 1, 4, 5 or 6 districts based on info given to me. I like the idea of being able to do a lot of foot travel in the evenings after dinner. We'd like to keep the budget under $250 USD if possible. I'm having trouble getting availability for mid to late September. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:41 PM

I don't know about hotel occupancy rates in September in Prague, but that budget shouldn't be a problem. Maybe it's just become too popular with business now that it gets booked up early, I don't know. I like district 1 myself, but lots of others would be acceptable. Why aren't you adding district 2 to your list? That would be obvious to me, and it's the most central (after 1). I like the Vysehrad area. It's a quick metro ride into the center, and there are some big hotels right at the Vysehrad metro stop. I'd also look at the Movenpick or some bigger hotels in the SMichov area (district 5, which you have). YOu definitely should be including Praha 3, also, which has Vinohrady in it, which is a nice residential area.

Where exactly are you looking that can't find anything? There are so many Prague hotel websites it is mindboggling. I always book directly (this July I stayed at the Hotel Pariz for the first time which was wonderful and right in the center -- I think it was in your rate, actually, although rates might be higher in the Fall. I think they are about 225 euro for a double room in September (according to their website), but it sounds like you don't need anything that upscale.

I don't know other than trying a few of those websites. YOu could also try www.lastminute.com I just checked them and they had plenty of offers for mid-September at all kinds of price levels. Just be sure you know where it is (the BW Meteor Plaza was on there, for example, within your range, and that is very conveniently located --I think the streets are kind of torn up around it right now, but it's still convenient and not far to get to other places).
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM

It looks to me as though the OP is after a Paris hotel, not Prague.

Availability for September (and October) can be hard to come by, as there are many trade and other shows going on--hotels are booked far in advance, and prices often soar.

Try lastminute.com, and good luck!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM

Christina? Prague?

bluesky, do a search on this board for "paris hotels" and read, oh...probably a gazillion recommendations of Fodorites' favorite Paris hotels - the majority are well within your budget.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:49 PM

I suggest staying in the 5th. You can try laterooms.com as well as france-hotel-guide.com.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:01 PM

sorry, for some reason I was reading that as Prague, not Paris, I guess I've been reading too much today and I guess the term district through me off. I did just stay in Hotel Paris in Prague, though.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

No, not Prague! Funny!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM

Go to www.venere.com for plenty of Paris hotels. It is a very user friendly site with the ability to indicate which arrondisement (district) you would like, the level of quality, location maps, and my favorite part- user reviews.

Some of the hotels have dozens of reviews and some have even more than that.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:50 PM

Hotel le Clement in the 6th at rue Clement...great location on a quiet square, near two metro lines....4 and 10 and many buses. I stayed in the 6th almost annually since the 70s and this is my favorite location. Ask for a room facing the street and on a high floor...nice view. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:36 PM

www.venere.com is terrific for availability. But, be SURE to check rates at the hotel's website before booking with Venere. I've noted much higher prices through Venere than the hotel directly - sometimes.

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I have found availability at the Hotel St. Paul Rive Gauche in the 6th. The rate I got is 168 euros for the first two nights, then they raise it to 198 for the next two due to "fair trade 1ERE Vision"?? Thoughts on this property/rates? Thanks, all.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM

It's an excellent location and closeby to the Jardin du Luxembourg and while it's location is really in the 6th district, it is actually closer to the 5th (Latin Qtr.). True September is a high season month and trade fairs make rates increase and the rate is fair at 168 euro, but at 198 euro it's a bit high. However, at this point it's not going to be easy finding room in a nice location.