Paris - Hotel Ferrandi?

Aug 20th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Paris - Hotel Ferrandi?

Hi again. I just found an incredible rate of 125 Euros with breakfast for a double in this hotel in the St Germain area but have no feedback about it. It looks very nice but what concerns me is location. Its location map is too small and very difficult to see where it is. And I don't know if it is well located in what concerns shops, restaurants and metro stops. My ohter option would be the Stpaul, more expensive, but I heard already it has a good location. Can anyone who stayed in the Ferrandi please help me? Many thanks in advance
Aug 20th, 2003, 02:09 PM

Nice hotel-great rate!
Aug 20th, 2003, 02:17 PM

yes, it is very well located. It is only a block or two from two different metro lines (the Vaneau and Rennes stops) and there are buses going down nearby rue de Rennes. It's basically in the SW corner of St-Germain between bd Raspail and bd Montparnasse, not far from rue de Sevres. To be honest, it isn't the area most people on there talk about when they are referring to St-Germain, however, as it's not around bd St-Germain and all those shops and restaurants. However, there are shops along rue du Cherche Midi and plenty of shopping on Rennes and Sevres, as well.

The Ferrandi is on kind of an odd street, to me, very narrow and the building is right up against the curb, not a lot of space in the street there, but I guess that's what you get in these old narrow streets. I think the location of the St-Paul is more desirable, but this location is okay.
Aug 20th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Christine and Farncophile for your answers. Are the rooms good?
Aug 20th, 2003, 06:36 PM

I stayed at the Ferrandi for 2 nights in May. It was a last minute thing, as I had to get back to Paris earlier than expected because of train strike, and my favorite hotel, the Aviatic (not too far from Ferrandi) was booked up-they suggested Ferrandi to me. The location is fine (not touristy), but as Christina said, a little far from the middle of St. Germain. It's a fairly easy walk to Gare Montparnasse (which was convenient for me), and metro stops are closeby, as are some good restaurants. As for the room, I was not real happy with it. I paid 130 euros, not including breakfast, and it certainly was not up to par with the Aviatic (130 including breakfast). The lobby is nice, and breakfast good. However, the two women I encountered at reception weren't very helpful. One refused to get me a shuttle to airport (she said they didn't want to be responsible for any problems!). She finally found the phone number for ParisShuttle, and I made arrangements myself. But I was annoyed, as I hadn't run into a reception with that kind of attitude, and decided I would never stay there again. I hate to sound so negative about it, as some people really like this hotel, and you have a very good rate.

As to the St. Paul, that location is great. I have stayed closeby at the Clos Medicis (a wonderful hotel!). The St. Paul is quite near the Odeon metro, near all the quaintness and beauty of St. Germain de Pres, but the street is rather quiet, next door to the famous bistrot Polidor, and across street from restaurant Maitre Paul, and another plus, near the Luxembourg Gardens. I can't vouch for the rooms at the St. Paul, but think you would be happier with the location, especially if you're a first-timer to Paris.
Aug 21st, 2003, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Sue4, thank you very much for your help.From what you and Christina said, I prefer to stay in a better location, where the Saint Paul is.
I have another question for you. This site that has very good rates has a rate of 164 Euros for a double with breakfast in the Clos des Medicis. I am going to pay 158 for the Saint Paul. Do you think I would be better in the Clos des Medicis? Thank you very much
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:39 AM

I haven't stayed at either hotel but it appears that Clos Medicis is more modern looking that the St. Paul. I would prefer Clos Medicis for that reason and also I think this St. Paul hotel has a cat-if you have allergies that should be a consideration. There are comments here for both hotels. Also on digitalfrance.com there are many comments for Clos Medicis.
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:08 AM

I haven't stayed in any of these, only know the areas and the outside.

see www.paris.org/Hotels for comments, if you haven't
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:02 PM

Tere, since I haven't stayed at the St. Paul, I really don't know if it would be nicer than the Clos Medicis, but I kind of doubt it. I stayed at the Clos Medicis in October of 2001 for 10 days and had a "superior double", which I believe was about $150.00 a night, and didn't include breakfast. The room was nice, and plenty big enough, and air-conditioned. I understand (although I didn't really see one) that the standard doubles are quite small. The hotel was very clean and well-run, with a very helpful, professional staff. It's very close to Luxembourg Gardens, so a little further walk up the hill from the Odeon metro stop and St. Germain than is the St. Paul, but I didn't mind the walk. The Luxembourg RER stop is very close, so quite convenient if you want to take the RER from CDG (which I did). They have raised the prices since I was there, besides the dollar-to-euro problem.

If you haven't read the comments on www.digitalfrance.com, do so. I love that site to search hotels, because of all the comments. I would definitely recommend the Clos, although I prefer staying at the Aviatic now (closer to Montparnasse), as it is just as nice, and less expensive - but further away from St. Germain, etc. Anyway, I think you would be happier with either of these hotels than with the Ferrandi! But I would pick the Clos Medicis over either.
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:22 PM

We stayed at the Ferrandi 4 or 5 years ago, and it was a very charming hotel, with good-size rooms, antique furniture, marble baths and a beautiful spiral staircase. The drawback, as stated above, is that it's a walk to get anywhere, and we couldn't find many places to eat nearby. It's funny, I just came across the Ferrandi on a website earlier tonight, and the quoted price was 190 euros, incl. breakfast. So you were quoted a great price! What site are you using?
Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the helpfull answers. I am going to have a look at the sites Christina and Sue4 recommended.
Hagan, yes, the prices I have for the Ferrandi and the Clos Medicis are great compared with other sites. I had them in cometoparis.com. I was really surprised to have those rates after looking at other websites.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:24 AM

I have stayed at both hotels.

The Ferrandi is one of my favorites in Paris. It's on a quiet street (rue de cherche-midi) that is lined with bookstores, tea rooms, and interesting shops. It's a 5 minute walk to the metro, to the Montparnasse tower, or to the Bon Marche department store and supermarket. The hotel has a charming atmosphere and the rooms are decently-sized for Paris (though some of the bathrooms are small).

I did not have a good experience at the St Paul. Although its location is a few blocks closer to the river, I did not care for the hotel itself -- the room I had was small and extremely dark, not a pleasant place at all.