Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel feedback - Mercure hotel near Gare d'Austerlitz !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Paris with my spouse from during the 1st week of April. It would be great if anyone could give me some feedback about this hotel. It says very close to the Gare d'Austerlitz station. Since we will be travelling to Amsterdam, is this station appropriate for us ?
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I can't give you feedback about the specific hotel. I can give feedback regarding the advisability of choosing a hotel in Paris based on it's proximity to a train station. Don't.
There are many other factors far more important than this one. It is likely that you will need the proximity of a train station twice only during your vacation and there are many simple and easy and inexpensive modes of transport to and from the train station.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM

The train station to Amsterdam on the Thalys is "Gare du Nord". From Austerlitz, it is direct to Gare du Nord by Metro (8 stops). Count on 15 to 20 minutes station to station
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Also, wanted to know if this was a good locality to stay. I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know about that.
Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:09 AM

I'm not sure why you have chosen this hotel -- is it part of a tour package??

If you are taking the Thalys to A'dam from Gare du Nord there are many other nicer & more interesting neighborhoods to stay in that would give you good access to Gare du Nord. For example metro line 4 would get you there from St. Michel or St. Germain.

A site I like for hotels by neighborhood is http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:11 AM

Or line 7 would get you there from deeper in the Latin Quarter.

Ironically I've been hearing interesting things about some of the are around Gare du Nord itself -- it wouldn't be MY first choice -- but it beats the &%(*&% out of near Austerlitz
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. The reason I chose this hotel is :
1. It belongs to the Ibis chain
2. It gave me a good rate - 65 euros
3. It's close to a railway station.
4. It's close to some tourist sights like Notre Dame.
But I had no idea about its locality. Please give some suggestions as I shall be leaving in a couple of days. Thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 07:10 AM

Let's look at the reasons why you choose this hotel.

1. I've stayed at Ibis hotels outside Paris in the past, and just stayed at the Mercure Montparnasse 3 weeks ago. It is a very solid chain.

2. 65 Euro for a 3-star hotel is great price.

3. It's actually a long block behind the railway station, and since you're not taking trains there (as trains for Amsterdam leaves Gard du Nord), this is absolutely not a factor.

4. It is not close to any tourist sites. Nothing is within walking distance, so you'll be taking the Metro or a bus. I don't know about the buses that well in that area, but from the map of your hotel, it is right on top of the Quai de la Gare Metro station for line #6. Good thing is that you can get to a train with minimal walking. However, this station is only served by #6, so, you'll be changing trains to most sites in Paris, except Eiffel Tower and the Arch de Triomphe. No big deal though, as changing trains is easy to do, and you'll be doing that a lot wherever you stayed at.