Lone traveler and Gard du Nord Hotel Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am female traveling by myself and need to stay one night near Gard du Nord to get an early train the next day (8.30). I only seem to find hotels that are 'very tired', have disgusting carpets and bathrooms or are so overly expensive. Do you have any suggestions? Preferably I would be within 10 mins walk of the station but i do wonder if it is doable to stay near Canal St Martin and still get to Gare du Nord by 8.00am. I would prefer to walk - little nervous of the Metro. Will have 1 medium suitcase. Thanks.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Generally speaking, cheaper hotels near railway termini (in my prejudices) are likely to be of the kind you describe.

If you really think you can't hack the metro (is that because of fears about safety, accessibility or understanding the system?), then an alternative would be buses. One I know that is by République station, and therefore within easy reach of the Gare du Nord both by metro and (within about 15 minutes) by the 65 and 56 buses is http://www.paris-hotel-americain.com/

But there are others: certainly there are one or two along the Ave Secrétan (bus route 26); I've never stayed in them but they look a cut above what you find right on top of the Gare du Nord.

http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/cartebus.php
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Patrick thankyou for your quick reply. My concern with the metro is that I do not know it and while I would usually be OK having a go I can not be late for my train at Gare du Nord and I would be worried that I would mess up the correct track etc etc. Honestly a bit nervous about it anyway.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:54 PM

I have taken a Metro from Saint-Germain to Gare du Nord to catch even earlier train than yours. While the metro was not crowded, the stations or the metro were not deserted either. It is already during a commuting hour.

I think you need to look at the whole package in prospective. From your hotel, through the street to the station vs. from your hotel to bus/metro stop, then from bus/metro stop to your train.

I don't particular like the area round Gare du Nord. There seem to be some idle guys just hanging around, at least the times I used the station. However, my in-laws thought it was ok, so the perception also depends on personal tastes.

Also why one night? Are you coming in from some other place to Paris to catch a train, or are you already in Paris but thought you needed to move closer to the Gare du Nord?
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

I will have spent 1 1/2 weeks in Paris earlier, then traveled away before coming back for the one night to get the train the next day. Are there any decent hotels near the GDN? I thought I should book my hotel before leaving Aust to make sure I get a room at a decent price.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:08 PM

Book where you want and take a taxi. A few euros for peace of mind
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I will have spent 1 1/2 weeks in Paris earlier,</i>"

Then you will have become TOTALLY used to, and comfortable with, the Metro. You will find it very easy after a day or two.

I personally would not stay near GDN - and especially if I had to walk 10+/- minutes dragging luggage in the early morning.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 12:46 AM

I don't think you would have a problem with the metro, honestly.

All you need to know is (a) which line you need - they are numbered and coloured and all the signposting corresponds (b) which "direction" you need (designated by the endpoint of the line). So, for example, for the hotel I mentioned, you would go into République metro and look for line 5 (orange) direction Bobigny. When you get to the stairs for the platform, there will be a plan of the line showing all the stations served from that platform. It would take about 10 minutes.

But as janisj says, if you've previously spent a week or so there, you'll be so used to it, you'll barely need to think about it. You really don't need to stay on top of the Gare du Nord. Where will you be arriving in Paris? That might help narrow the field.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 01:06 AM

I really dont like the area around GDN - all the chain restaurants and pricey drinks etc. Why not stay in say the Latin Quarter and catch the RER from St Michel - super easy - and you will definitely know how to navigate the metro after a week in paris!
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 03:33 AM

It has been a few years but we stayed at the Gare du Nord Hotel and it was quite fine. We were with a tour that time. And one of our "destinations" on trips to Paris is one of the restaurants that face the Gare to have a big bowl of mussels.
A taxi to the Gare from almost anywhere in central Paris would be about 10E.
I would not particularly like to walk around that area at night.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 04:37 AM

I would seriously think about returning to the hotel where you will spend the 1 1/2 weeks for your last night and have the hotel staff call a taxi to take you to GDN.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 06:16 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not suggest you plan to take a bus. I was made very late for an appointment one day counting on a bus I'd taken before, the 46, which just dumped us all out in the most inconvenient place imaginable. I was told it's not an unusual thing.

Assuming your luggage isn't unmanageable choose a hotel from which you can reach the Gare du Nord by Metro without changes. Or if your previous hotel does not appeal or is too far away, find one close enough for a taxi as others have recommended. There are lots of business hotels in the 9th in nicer neighborhoods than the GdN.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 08:00 AM

If you will have already spent 1 1/2 weeks in Paris previously, how is it that you won't be completely familiar with the métro? Or buses, for that matter. Do you plan to avoid using public transportation in the city for the entire 1 1/2 weeks? If so, that seems irrational.

I don't like the area around the Gare du Nord, either, though a Parisian friend of mine lived there for years and I went often to visit her, coming home late at night sometimes. You can stay anywhere you like in the city and get to GdN for an 8 am train. I don't understand what the problem is. Use your 1 1/2 weeks to figure out how to get around the city and then use a bus or métro to get to that 8 am train.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 08:26 AM

I agree with the above.

If you are going to Paris, you will be using the Metro and/or buses. So you will have a comfort level.

Poeple here will help befoer your trip with maps, advice on how to interpret signage, tickets,etc..

From Gare du Nord you are two RER train stops to St Michel on the Left Bank. Or 8 Metro stops (no changing of lines) from the same area.

A good area for hotels, restaurants, sights (Notre dame), shopping,etc..