Paris hotel advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are planning our first trip to Paris this May and I am very excited but I need advice re hotels. Fodor's Choice: Hotel Langlois sounds great but looks to be isolated from tourist sights. Hotel Bonaparte seems to be more centrally located but doesn't consistently get as good reviews on Trip Advisor.People seem to love or hate it. Does anyone have any advice? We are two adults needing to keep the price no higher (and preferably lower) than 175E. We don't need luxury (obviously at that price) but do not like very small rooms. We are avid walkers and museum goers, like good food, not really interested in shopping. Budget is limited.

Thanks so much
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:47 AM
ira

Hi Z,

We have been staying at the Bonaparte since 1981.

The tripadvisor rating is 4/5.

There will always be some folks who are unhappy with any hotel. Sometimes it's because they were unlucky to be there on an off day.

Your budget will get you one of the larger rooms.

If you are not a 4* person looking at a 2* hotel, I highly recommend the Bonaparte for its location and the quality of the service.

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:49 AM
ira

PS,

The beds aren't really shaped like hammocks, as they appear in the website photos.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

The area around the Bonaparte looks great. Does anyone haave any other suggestions that I should look into. Is the Hotel Langlois as isolated as it looks on my map?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM

ttt
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM

I'm partial to the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc, both for its prices and for its location in the Marais. This isn't a Fodor's Choice, but I'd recommend it.

I'm a big cheapskate when it comes to hotels in Paris and have never paid more than 100 euros a night. I usually stay in the Ibis Bastille Opera, which fits my needs perfectly, though it is admittedly basic. I like the location and the breakfast buffet, and it does everything I need a hotel to do. But then I'm not willing to pay for "charm". I'd prefer to pay 79 euros a night.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM

I have stayed at the Hotel Residence Mounge a a couple of time and found it clean, and well located in the Latin Quarter. It is also considerably less than 175 Euro.

http://hotelmonge.com/
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:31 PM

And I often stay at the Hôtel de France on the Blvd. de la Tour Maubourg in the 7ème for under $100 a night.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dacia Luxembourg is a nice 3-star centrally located on St Mich near the Sorbonne.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:34 PM

We liked the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles. The location is great in the 5th near the street market of the Rue Mouffetard. The rooms are set back from the street around a courtyard and it was very quiet. Rooms are a bit spartan; no TV, but the bathroom was great. This is a popular destination; book as soon as they will allow you. www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM

The Langlois is not without charm; the re-make of Charade was filmed there. I placed my son and DIL in a large room there for a week last Fall as it is close to the apt. where we were staying. There is a major transportation hub very close by at the square in front of Trinité church with the metro and many bus lines. Less than 100 yds. up the street is the Musée Gustave Moreau and a little further on the Musée de la Vie Romantique. The Opera house and Galleries Lafayette/Printemps are less than 500 yards downhill. The area around the Langlois is not tourist central but a slice of real Paris. You won't find many Americans and Japanese here, and since this is your 1st trip, my guess is that you would probably prefer the area around the Hotel Bonaparte which is a must see area for 1st time visitors.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
tod

zaksgrandma - Have a look at the website for the Best Western Au Trocadero, 3 Avenue Raymond Poincare in the 16th. Take a walk around the area on PagesJaunes-Photos de Villes. It's a three star but you can get a room with an awesome view of the Eiffel Tower. Rooms advertised from, 87E.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:07 AM

zaksgrandma,
We used to stay in the Hotel Crystal on the rue Saint Benoit, right by Cafe de Flore in the Saint Germain des Pres area.

http://www.hoteis-paris-crystal.com/

We really liked it, and most of the rooms were not as small as a couple of other hotels we've stayed in, but the price went higher than we were willing to pay. I just checked, though, and the price range is 140 to 190, so you may well find a room for 175 Euros. I think you would like the 6th, as it's a very good area to walk around. You can easily walk from there to Saint Sulpice, Jardin du Luxembourg, the market street, rue de Buci, and the Bon Marche department store. Bus and metro are close. There is a Monoprix nearby, on the rue de Renne.

Sandy
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Wow! so many suggestions! How to choose? Thanks so much to all of you
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:11 PM

You could also add Hotel Muguet in the 7th into the mix. You have a good selection to choose from.