Reload this Page >

Paris honeymoon, only 3 full days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Rani

What can we expect in the land of romance? Not much time I know, but we'll be in Barcelona, Spain during the first leg of our honeymoon. Where to stay, best places to visit, we're on a budget as well, travelling from Canada (hence exchange rates will be an issue). What's the weather like in early May? Also, is May 1st a holiday, and does that mean everything will be closed?

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 03:30 PM
deb

Congratulations, Rani! I'm sure you both will love Paris. Just returned last night from a 4 day weekend with my husband and had a wonderful time, even though short. I suggest an Italian restaurant named La Famigilia which we never miss for the homemade pasta, of course a stroll through the Tuileries,along the Seine, through the Louvre...If the Louvre is too daunting I suggest Le Musee Carnavalet which has a great collection and can be adequetely seen in an afternoon(there's also a great bookshop just across the street. There's a place called Barrio Latino which is great for drinks (food ok but not great)sexy atmosphere...If you guys want a really special dinner, and I realize price is an issue, but your only honeymooning once (hopefully), go to Les Ambassadeurs in the Hotel Crillon. Formerly a palace ballroom it's an unforgettable evening though certainly not cheap. I'm not sure about May, but this past Monday was Veteran's Day and most shops and restaurants were closed, but large dept. stores were open. Hope this was some help!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Rex

I recommend www.worldclimate.com and www.weatherbase.com to check historical weather statistics.<BR><BR>I have been in the outskirts of Paris from May 5 to 25, and it was a particularly gorgeous and memorable day on May 8, 1999 in the city itself - - if you want to hear an anecdote.<BR><BR>Congratulations on your new life in marriage.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Rani

Thank you Deb for your insights. What about the Eiffel Tower? Is it overrated?<BR><BR>I've checked the historical weather sites and kind of know what kind of clothing to pack, so thank you for that Rex. And I would love to hear your anecdote. <BR>It's my first time to Europe (been to England), I'm so excited!!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:42 AM
uhoh

Over-rated? No. It is so much bigger than I imagined, and on a beautiful day, the views from the top are fantastic. We were there the last week in April and only needed a light jacket or raincoat. Visit Place des Vosges and shop the cool little shops in the Marais on the same day you go to la Musee Carnavalet -- which gives you a real history of Paris experience. Spend another day around the Eiffel Tower, lunch at a cafe on Rue Cler (that is also a good little area in which to stay). You'll want to at least walk around Notre Dame and enjoy the surrounding area. Even if the Louvre is too daunting, walk around the Jardin de Tuilleries and if it is sunny, sit down and write post cards (or, since it is your honeymoon you might just want to hold hands and smooch.) Oh! DO take a boat ride on the Seine on the Bateaux Mouches (that spelling is surely wrong, but it won't mar your experience!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:46 AM
pam

Definitely go to the Eiffel Tower and ride the elevator to the top.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Rex

Maybe I didn't phrase that right - - that WAS my anecdote - - that the weather on one specific day in May in 1999 was gorgeous and it was a most memorable day. I guess anecdote sometimes means a &quot;funny story&quot;, but I meant it in the sense of &quot;an isolated observation of one&quot; (its medical or scientific usage is typically with this meaning).<BR><BR>I can recount my day, if you like - - it was a &quot;Jour de Liberation&quot; celebration, and we watched the parade right around l'Etoile and down the Champs Elysees - - with the tricolors waving in the gentle breeze of a bright, sunny blue-skies day.<BR><BR>No funny story - - just a great day to walk in Paris!<BR><BR>