Search

A Paris Picnic

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Paris Picnic

As I newcommer to this site, I am most impressed with the wonderful information shared by travellers. I have gleaned many helpful hints for our trip to Paris next April.

One of the things I would like to do while in Paris is have a nice romantic picnic with my wife. Is there any place to do this and have a nice view of the Eiffel Tower whilst sipping on some nice French wine.

Thank you
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I think that's a great idea. My most memorable meal in Paris was a picnic in the Champ de Mars Parc in front of the Eiffel Tower. We were staying nearby at the Muguet so it was an easy walk. We bought the picnic supper (and wine) on the way at one of the Brasserie Flo stores. It was a wonderful meal and evening, and I recall it often with pleasure. Thanks for the opportunity to share it with you.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Champ de Mars is the best place to picnic on the grass and view the Eiffel... just be sure you go to the open area where you'll see others on the grass, because for some areas you are not allowed on the grass. (look for little signs that say "pelouse interdit" basically meaning 'keep off the grass').
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM

not quite in view of the eiffel tower, but i think versailles is the most beautiful place to have a picnic in the world.

However, for inside Paris, your best bet for a romantic picnic is the palais royal gardens. it's like an enclised little world in there, with a fountain, and lots of cute benches and trees. It's wonderful.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:35 AM

My husband and I chose a small public courtyard with a fountain and a couple of benches. We spread out our wonderful lunch from the open market in the 5th and have an incredible meall.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:36 AM

my typing is horrible today! Sorry.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:04 AM

We had a memorable family picnic on the Champs de Mars, as others have suggested. Bought sandwiches on rue Cler. Another nice place would be on one of the bridges.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Can you picnic in the Musee Rodin garden?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:38 AM

There's been discussion on that... there is a small fee to enter the garden, and you know they have a cafe/cafeteria out there. So not sure if it is 'kosher' to bring your own food in... I think it is ok to be on the grass at the farthest end away from the mansion.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I'll be in Paris with my family in a few months and plan to have a picnic our first day there.

Practical question, though - are cups to drink the wine in readily available for purchase from the shops where I will purchase our picnic foods/wine - or do I have to find a supermarket/store to buy a package of cups?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Neopolitan

An odd side note. I've always been surprised at the number of what appear to be locals in the heat of the summer, spreading out a small tablecloth and doing a picnic right on the lower walkway edge of the Seine, particularly all the way between Alma and Ile St. Louis. I understand they may be trying to escape their un-airconditioned apartments. While I'm all for sitting along the water's edge normally, the fascination of sitting amidst all that dog poop on some hard concrete wall to have a picnic completely escapes me.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I think you may have to go to a market. Actually Monoprix is a pretty good place to shop for your picnic if one is nearby. We got some of ours at a very nice one in the 6th--foie gras and all.