Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is one day enough to see the sights of Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:41 AM
sally

Im going with a friend and another family with children to disneyland paris for 4 days where we will be staying. I intend to make a daytrip to Paris during my stay. Would one day be enough to see the major sights, Notre Dame and climb the Eiffel tower and the Champs Elysees etc?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Skidoo

Let's see--what could be wrong with this picture. Four days in Disneyland and one in Paris. No, it isn't enough time.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Skidoo

Should have added--very creative trolling.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Rex

This appears to be 4 questions in one:<BR><BR>1. Would one day be enough to see the major sights? No, not even the outdoor ones?<BR><BR>2. Notre Dame? Yes.<BR><BR>3. climb the Eiffel Tower? Yes. Few people do this; most ride the elevators, but you could fit your climb in to one day, and still see Notre Dame.<BR><BR>4. and the Champs Elysees etc? There's no guessing what you mean by the &quot;etc&quot;? The Champs Elysees by itself might not even be considered one of the major sights itself. The Arc de Triomphe, at one end, certainly is - - and likewise, starting at the other end at the Place de la Concorde, the area extending through the Tuileries to the Louvre might also qualify.<BR><BR>I urge you to get any good guide book from a public library near you (the bigger the library, perhaps the better - - they might have newer books and more to choose from) - - and spend one hour browsing through info on the major attractions of Paris.<BR><BR>Chances are, you will come back here with very different kinds of questions - - like how to best plan a 1.5 to 2.5 day portion of this 4 day visit to France.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Howard

Hey, Rex, if she follows your advice, she might spend more time researching Paris than she actually plans on spending there!<BR>I'm with the troll theorists!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:04 AM
stan

If you take a helicoper over the city, maybe....

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Ira

I wouldn't bother. Why would anyone want to leave the charms of Disneyland Paris to visit the real thing?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:10 AM
xxx

No

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Skip

Better yet, just skip Paris altogether; wait until you get home and go to Las Vegas; you can see the Eiffel Tower, etc., there.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:36 AM
justbeachy

The first time we went to Paris was a day trip from London via Eurostar. We took a short drive around the city and asked to be dropped off at the place du Trocadero. We had lunch at a lovely bistro, took my Mother to the top of the Eiffel Tower and sang Happy Birthday to her (it was her 70th). Off to Notre Dame, which we explored leisurely (bought ice cream cones and sat in a garden in the rear of the building, gazing at the gargoyles, flying buttresses &amp; glass), then a quick trip to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa, Winged Victory and Slaves. We hopped on a bus and back to Gare du Nord and London. We were a group of 5, my mother, husband, and two kids, ages 12 and 4 at the time. We didn't rush or hurry. We walked and made the most of a day. Attitude is key. Can you &quot;see&quot; Paris in a day? Of course not. Can you scratch the surface and plan your return? Mais oui! By the way, Sally, our next trip over, we stayed in Paris for severals days, then onto Disneyland Paris for a few more. Same group of travelers. We had a ball! You will too!!!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:37 AM
WatchItOnTV

Rick Steves and others have terrific videos of Paris. Pick one up and watch it from the comfort of your Disneyland hotel. Why make any effort?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:54 AM
xxx

The epitomy of the typical uncultured American troll.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Ron

Seeing the major sights in one day is no problem at all. All you have to do is rent a helicopter.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:22 AM
troll

where did this person say they were American?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Ellen

NO.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Geoff Hamer

Of course one day isn't enough time to see the sights of Paris; three months wouldn't be enough to really get to know Paris, but one day is better than nothing. My first visit to Paris was a day trip from London over 25 years ago. I've been back there many times since then, but I still remember that first trip. Of course you can see some of the major sights in one day, but you will want to go back again and again.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Bob Brown

I think &quot;epitomy&quot; is an example of someone trying to denegrate someone else, but who cannot spell well enough to carry it off. The word is <BR>&quot;e p i t o m e&quot;. It reminds me of a pedantic, priggish friend of of mine who, in his consumate snobbery, felt energized to send me a postcard from Gibralter. He had just sailed through the Straights of Gibralter and wanted to brag about it. Instead, he provided a good joke.<BR><BR>At least he was not asking me for my &quot;advise&quot; on the subject? So I did not &quot;advice&quot; him!! If I had advised him, my advice would have been simple.<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Dan

Ah, Sally, Sally ... Take the kids to Paris for the first 2.5 days, then do Disney for 1.5 days. First, take the kids to the Eiffel Tower (use the elevator), picnic in the magnificent gardens across the adjacent bridge, walk up the Arc de Triumph and take in the view of the City of Lights including Champs Elysees, visit Notre Dame, try a narrated cruise on the river Seine, a carousel ride in Tuileres Gardens, a scenic funicular ride up to the quaint village of Montemarte, perhaps even a peek at the Mona Lisa in the Louvre museum. That's too much for 2.5 days, so pick and choose based on your research what your kid's predilictions. Then, visit Disney, and if the kids want more Mouse, plan the next trip for Orlando or California, both of have more theme park fun to offer American kids.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:21 AM
eeeoie

Um, it's GIBRALTAR and not GIBRALTER.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:22 AM
xxx

Ouch Bob...that was a good one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -