PARIS IN ONE DAY

Search

PARIS IN ONE DAY

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PARIS IN ONE DAY

I'll be surprising my girlfriend with a quick day trip to Paris during our stay in London. It's her first time, where should I bring her outside of the eiffel and arc? Anyone recommend a nice outdoor market? We'll be going in January. Thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 03:14 AM
ira

Hi ethan,

Nice surprise.

How about

lunch at the Jules Verne (very expenisive) or Altitude 95 (expensive) on the Eiffel Tower

the Impressionists at Musee D'Orsay

a walk through the Ile St Louis after visiting Notre Dame

a boat ride along the Seine

From the Arc you could walk down the Champs Elysee (downhill)to Place Concorde, through the Tuileries Gardens to Notre Dame.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:56 AM

there's an outdoor food market on rue Cler not far from the Eiffel Tower.
If it's January, I'd plan at least one or two indoor activities. Perhaps a nice lunch (even at a lesser place than one ira mentioned so it won't take so long) and a visit to a museum, or to see the inside of Notre Dame.

One place that is very nice that serves practically all day is La Bucherie, 41 rue de la Bucherie, in the 5th. On the left bank, just opposite Notre Dame. This is on one of the oldest streets in Paris. The cafe has a fireplace to feel cozy around, very good food, and excellent desserts. At lunch time they get a mix of casual drop-ins and business people. They are open for lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner.

La Bucherie?s phone is 01 43 54 24 52. Next door is the famous English-language bookstore Shakespeare and Co.

If you click at the top of this screen on Destinations, you'll find lots of info on Paris, including suggestions for short visits. You might want to pick and choose a few ideas.
ricksteves.com, fodors, and frommers.com are just a few websites that have suggested walking routes.

Buy a good map--Streetwise Paris is excellent, small, clear, and waterproof.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 07:51 AM
OliveOyl

Streetwise Paris is the best thing I've bought to prepare for our upcoming trip!! I can't say enough for it. It folds accordian style, is laminated so waterproof and stiff enough not to blow around. It shows major attractions as well as streets, metro stops etc, and even my eyes can focus on the smallest of street names. What a purchase. Thank you Scarlett, again!

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:21 PM

Elaine: When we were there last fall we heard that la Bucherie had closed.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:06 AM

oh no!
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 09:33 AM

Don't know your tastes but I would also recommend a quick boat trip on the Seine (depending on the weather)-might even be able to combine that with a meal. There is lots to see and not much time. I would avoid high end restaurants-it will take you 2 hours to get out of there and that constitues a large part of your day. Taxis are cheap, so use them and the Metro of course. If the weather is nice, my advice is to walk, walk, and walk. Paris is wonderful. Get a good guidebook before you go-it will give you a good idea of where to go based on your tastes and preferences. Eiffel, Arc, Mommartre, Champs, ND,Isle de Paris, and the left bank areas are good places to start. You may want to spend a few hours in the Louvre.