Paris in 1 day

Mar 8th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Paris in 1 day

hey everybody!
I know it is crazy, but I am going to Paris for only one day (April 2nd). What is there that I definitely have to see besides the Eiffel Tower and Louvre? Museums don't appeal that much to me, I am more interested in architecture and people-watching. Any good ideas or experiences?
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:52 AM

Well one day in Paris is better than no days in Paris. But I certainly wouldn't "do" the Louvre if I only had one day, especially since you say you're not that into museums. I wouldn't waste any time waiting on line for anything either - like going up in the Eiffel Tower. I would just walk around and soak up the atmosphere, stopping occassionally at a cafe.

I would start on the Ile de la Cite where you have Notre Dame. I'd go inside (but not wait in line to climb the towers). I'd walk around the island, then walk around the Latin Quarter a little. Very "old" Paris feeling in the architecture and windy streets. Then I'd walk along the Seine a ways up to the Pont des Arts and cross over to the right bank. Then I'd walk around the Louvre (but not go inside, the building itself is a work of art and you don't have time to go in). Then through the Tuilleries to Place de la Concorde. I'd then walk along the river but you might want to go down the Champs Elyses instead. I'd cross back over to the left bank on the Pont Alexander (beautiful bridge, greata views) and then make my way to the Eiffel Tower.

I wish I were in Paris even if it were for only one day. Sigh.
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi tas,

I think that I would buy a one-day pass on he batobus. Make the full loop, and then get off at each stop and explore.

www.batobus.com

Mar 8th, 2005, 05:27 AM

IRA:
I don't think the Batobus will be running when Tasja is there. They don't start up again until the end of April.

Tasja:
What does "a day" mean? Will you wake up in Paris or are you arriving from somewhere else? Will you be there that night?
Mar 8th, 2005, 06:22 AM

I like Isabel's plan, but I would add a visit to Sainte Chapelle while you are on the Ile de la Cite, near Notre Dame.
Mar 8th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Look at Fodor's Mini-Guide:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/[email protected]

Do some walking. Do some riding. Do the one-day bus tour:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34568214
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:40 AM

I'd even skip the Louvre, since museums don't have much appeal to you, and since you have only one day. I've been to Paris just once for a week and didn't go in a single museum.

A good day-LONG walking loop could include places such as the Eiffel Tower, Arc, Tuilleries, Seine, Louvre (from the outside as suggested above), Notre Dame, Luxembourg gardens, and Latin Quarter. A sidewalk cafe stop of two along the way... should do it!
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM

If you like architecture and people watching, take a little time to sit in the courtyard of the Louvre near the fountains. If you're not that into museums don't feel like you must go in the Louvre, your time is limited; enjoy your day doing the things you like!
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:32 AM
ira

Batobus scheule from their website:

From 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. from March 18 to April 21 and
from October 1 to November 2, 2005.

From 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. from April 22 to September 30, 2005.

Service frequency:
A Batobus every 15 to 30 minutes.
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:44 AM

I second Isabel's itinerary. And you will pass numerous little restaurants and cafes. Be sure to stop in to experience Parisian cafe life.

I also like the lookout from the top of the Samaritaine department store. You are in the center of Paris, and the view is unmatched. If you buy something, you have free access, otherwise, it is a small fee.

Check out this guy's website for pictures: http://paris.typepad.com/ohlalaparis...ew_la_sam.html

Have a great whirlwind tour of Paris
Rick in Maryland
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:58 AM

You want food and panorama? Gotcha covered!

http://www.cieldeparis.com/ENG/index_ENG_FLASH.htm
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM

I agree with Ira. The batobus will enable you to see a lot more.
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Tasja -

If the do-it-yourself €5.30 bus tour doesn't appeal to you, there's always Paris L'Open Tour (open-top sightseeing buses) for €24. Download their brochure:

http://www.paris-opentour.com/brochure_opent.pdf

When and where are you coming in from and leaving to?
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Oops, Ira, I read the Batobus site wrong.
Thanks for keeping me straight. By all means, that would be an excellent way to see a lot in one day.
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Go to Beaubourg and have lunch at the top at Chez Georges.
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM

I respectfully dissent from the assertion that the Batobus is a good way to see a lot.

Besides providing only looking-up views of only the monuments along the river, it is a relatively slow and inefficient way to get from place to place. For a one-day tour, I think surface transport is in order.

In any event, on April 2 the Batobus doesn't go out until 10h00, and stops running at 19h00.
Mar 8th, 2005, 04:13 PM
ira

Dear Robe,

> [The Batobus] is a relatively slow and inefficient way to get from place to place. <

Sometimes slowing down and picking the roses is superior to efficiency.

Former Engineer and Scientist
Mar 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I agree with that as a general proposition. But not with one day in Paris!
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for so much advice.

JeanneB: I will arrive by bus in the morning from Germany and will leave again around midnight.

I was told that it is nicer to go up the Tour Monparnasse than the Eiffel Tower, because it is less crowded and you will have the view including the Eiffel Tower. Has anyone been there? If yes, how much is it?
Mar 9th, 2005, 07:09 AM

The observation deck at Tour Montparnasse costs €8.50 for adults. Here's the view:

http://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/uk/

The restaurant I mentioned yesterday is a good place for a scenic lunch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO