First Time Paris

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Paris

I am traveling Paris in last week of November for 2 days. Can any of you let me know best places to see in 2 days. What is your opinoin on Day or Night trips tours.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Museums: Louvre, and Orsay are a must.
And then:
Eifell Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Invalides, Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, Sacre Coeur, Montmartre, Defense.

In 2 days I would forget having a day trip outside Paris, there is too much to see in Paris. Enjoy a cruise on the Seine on a bateau mouche instead.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, Are they walkable or do I have to take Taxi to go to these places.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Many of these places are within walking distance from each other. My advice would be to get a guide, like Fodors' or Lonely Planet that have good advices and suggested itineraries and get familiar with the areas.
Consider that both in Paris and in London (I have seen your other post) there are the hop on/off buses that connect the most important tourist places. You can get a 1 or 2 day ticket and use it to go from one place to another, even if I have never used them. I simply walked a lot!. La Defense is a bit outside the main area in Paris, you need to reach it by metro.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:56 PM

You may want to purchase a copy of Tripbuilder Paris at your local book store approximately $6. If you don't mind a leisurely stroll, start at Eiffel tower, walk across the Seine up the stairs to Trocadero (best place to get photos of Eiffel), metro/bus from Trocadero to Arc, walk down the Champs towards Concorde, detour to your right and take in the sights of the Alexander bridge, Petit and Grand Palaces, you can also see Invalides from here. Continue back down the Champs to Concorde, from here you can go to the Tuileries/Louvre. (I walk down Rue Royal to Madeline Church then down St-Honore to Place Vendome back down Rue Castilione to Rue Rivoli to the Tuilleries/Louvre). I start this route at dusk, my version of illumination tour. Sacre Coeur is also a must to see at night when it is illuminated then have dinner in one of the many restaurants in Montmartre.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Have you been to europe before and are you used to walking distances?

Many of us lightly say stroll here there or the other - I'm guilty too - being a NYCer I walk everywhere.

But have found in europe that many Americans who don;t live in bigger cities simply aren;t used to walking any distance -
and can;t handle - or are astonished by the amount of walking.

(I recently ran into two women from upstate NY who had somehow wandered into my neighborhood and wanted to find a diner to sit and have a coffee. I directed them to the nearest one - 3 blocks away - and one said - 3 blocks - I can;t go that far - isn;t there anything closer - why is everything so far apart? For them - the length of the mall was a long walk - the idea of walking 3/4 miles would be simply impossible.)

So - get a good map and check the distances. A carnet of metro tickets may be your best friend. (But - if you can- by all means walk as much as possible - you see so much more.)
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:13 AM

I agree with everyone's suggestions thus far, with a few additional comments. As for museums, Paris has so many that I'd recommend looking at a good guide book or two to see what interests you and go from there. I'm a big fan of modern art so I decided on my first trip to spend a good deal of time at the Centre Pompidou, but I chose not to go to the Louvre. I know that may be sacrilege to some, but my point is that if you have limited time feel free to disregard "conventional wisdom" in favor of what appeals to you. With that said, Musee d'Orsay and the Rodin are popular favorites, along with the Louvre, Pompidou and Cluny.

Saint Chappelle is spectacular and definitely worth a visit, especially on a sunny day. I also loved stopping in smaller churches. Some of them are quite lovely and provide a welcome reprieve from the city's noise. The city has also has several beautiful gardens, e.g, the Luxembourg, that are also worthy of a stroll.

Finally, I would set aside time to wander in a given neighborhood, e.g., the Marais and Saint Germain. While Paris has any number of interesting and historical sites, for me the real joy of the city is in its streets. Start walking in any direction, check out a shop that interests you, grab a seat on the terrace of a cafe and watch life pass by for a bit, eat a decadent pastry, wander some more, chance upon a street market or live music . . . . On my first trip to Paris two years ago, I set out to see this museum and that monument. For the most part, I got to nearly everything on my list, but I caught myself rushing through much of it just so that I could get outside again to wander. It's what I'm most looking forward to when I return in a week's time.

Whatever you do, have a great time. Paris is a wonderful place; it's hard to go too wrong.

Kate
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Hi,
I second the suggestions you are getting here. One thing, and it is hard to do, is try to not feel like you have to see everything in one trip. Two days is nowhere near enough to see, scratch the surface, of what Paris is. I would consider doing a bus tour of Paris, for the simple reason that you will see all of the well known sites at least once, so you can at least say "saw Sacre Coeur, but didn't have time to go back and visit". Consider (almost a must!) a nighttime cruise on the Seine...seeing the buildings/Eiffel lit up at night is magical. I like the idea of starting a Right Bank walk at the Arc de Triomphe, down Elysee, then on to rue Rivoli..you will see Place Concorde, Place Vendome, Madeleine, Opera, Tuleries Gardens, Louvre, Palais Royale, Pompidou, Place des Voges and Marais area. This could be a big first day. Second day could move over to the islands and see Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, Ile St Louis then over to Left Bank and along rue St Germain. See Luxembourg Gardens, Musee du Moyen Age (Cluny Museum), famous cafes (Napoleon, Deux Magots, Flore), Orsay museum, Rodin museum, and ending at Eiffel tower. Another jam packed day.
As with any time in Paris, it is important to stop regularly at cafes/bakeries to re-asses how the day is going!
Hope this helps,
Mike
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the informartion.... This will help me to plan my trip. I will take one day trip and next day I will choose couple of places like Effel Tower, Notre Dame etc...

Can you help me out in Night Tour in November, Is Night tour is worth taking or not.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:51 PM

Paris Vision and Cityrama offer several different tours. Check out there website. For night tour, I agree with Michel take an illuminated boat tour ( I think Cityrama does a boat/dinner/bus tour but don't quote me)