Reload this Page >

Paris Honeymoon on a budget?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Neil

Needless to say the wedding costs have spiraled out of control. We are planning a trip to Paris and wherever. We will stay in Paris for 4 days and then? Need suggestions on nice but frugal hotels in Paris. In the Opera area. Then we are renting a car and need some help on where we should go on a thrifty budget. We have been to Italy before so help me in another direction.<BR><BR>Thanks for everyone's help,<BR>Neil

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Rachel

Neil may I make a suggestion...go for a small wedding and have a big party later. You will not regret it. Spend more on your honeymoon.....Congratulations...

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:55 AM
notsure

Since Rachel didn't have anything to offer let's send this to the top with a question for you Neil... how far are you willing to travel by car? Since you're trying to be frugal and gas is SO expensive over here, what would be your ideal distance...and are you flying out of Paris or what? I like Austria, Luxembourg, Germany....

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:02 AM
neil

I fly in to CDG The budget is tight but not that tight. Gas isn't an issue. I am trying to find romantic locations but yet not spend more than 100-150 per night in accomodations.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Albert

My wife and I loved Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais. It isn't near Opera, but that's an expensive area. This one's in the Marais, which was a LOT of fun and within walking distance of many wonderful restaurants (our two huge splurges were a cab ride away, closer to Opera). Paris is best enjoyed by walking everywhere (maybe a Metro trip to start the day and slowly work back to your hotel), so any hotel in a good neighborhood is worth considering.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:04 AM
2 books & a website

www.ricksteves.com and/or his guidebook "Europe thru the Backdoor".<BR><BR>"Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris" (Hunter Rivages 3rd Edition) is a wonderful book and many/most listing are within the budget you mentioned.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Gregg

Neil,<BR>I can relate, though I am always travelling on a budget. I cannot help with accomidations in Paris as we stay with in-laws. But we just got back and did a an 8-day road trip. We rented from Europe-by-car as they beat everyone's price and have a good reputation. If you want a greta city outside of Paris, we loved Lyon. We stayed at La Residence and it was cheap, but clean and well located. Another fantastic place is Avallon. It is very rural with many small villages in the immediate vicinity (Vezelay, Pontalbert, etc...) If you want peace & quiet I suggest staying at: http://moulin-des-ruats.com/hotel/ <BR>Very nice place with a creek running along side. We also visited Beaune and loved it as well. Hope this helps. If you need help with restaurants in Paris I know a few great bang-for-the-bucks places. E mail me.<BR>Bonne chance, <BR>Gregg

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Paris

Hotel Victoria is near the opera house. My mother in law was there for a week, has all kinds of good things to say about this 2 star hotel. Try to book it through New Frontiers.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Natalie

Le Home Latin in the Latin Quarter has good rates, we stayed there last year and really enjoyed the location although the rooms are smaller than what I was used to, the price more than made up for it. They don't have a website, check out Paris hotel search engines for more info. ~$130/night. Five minutes to the Notre Dame Cathedral, and in the heart of the Latin District. I hope this helps,

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:32 PM
verysure

Actually "notsure" I think it is pretty good advise that Rachel gave. Wedding costs have skyrocketed and in my opinion the entire industry is inflated for no reason at all. I am with Rachel..put your money into your trip. People will forget your wedding day but YOU won't. Plan a wedding that is well within your budget and that is memorable to you. Then splurge on the honeymoon. I would recommend spending less time in Paris because you want to have somewhat of a restful honeymoon. Rent a car and drive through the countryside...<BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Doug

I would suggest staying at a Bed and Breakfast in the Loire valley near the 3 chateaux, Chenonceau, Cheverny and Chambord. We booked through stopoverconnections.com and stayed near Cour Cheverny for $ 90 per night for four.<BR>In Paris we stayed at the Grand Hotel de France, 12 rue de Lyon for 88 euro for four in a room ( approx 60 for two). Hotel was clean and quiet ( new windows) not perfectly located but close enough to most sights ( 15 minute walk to Notre Dame) and 3 minutes to the metro . Also 3 minutes to the market at Place Aligre which was perfect for inexpensive breakfasts and lunches.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Chester

www.eurocheapo.com is a good place to look for hotel deals. They break up the city by neighborhoods so you can decide where you'd like to focus, and then check out the properties a little to see what fits yout budget and priorities. Some good day trips are: Giverny, Versailles, Fontainbleu, Vaux-le-Vicomte, and Normandy. Good luck! Vive l'amour...