Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Helsinki Accommodation - Hostel Academica

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Garrick

We are spending a few days in Helsinki summer 2003 and would like to hear from anyone who has stayed at the university accommodation known as Hostel Academica.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Frances

Hi Garrick
I've stayed here on two occasions.The reason we chose it in the first place was its price back in 1985 when we were a bit strapped for cash and Finland was more expensive than it is now.Also, it had 3 (and 4 )bedded rooms.
We returned last year because even though we have a little more cash now, a 3 bedded room anywhere else was out of proportion.
The advantages are that it has a 24 hour reception- useful as our Manchester flight arrives in Helsinki at 11.59- yes on the nail!The breakfast is copious and the staff allow you to leave your bags there. In 1985 we went off to St. Petersburg for 4 days and last year we went to Tallina overnight.
The staff are also very helpful with fairly excellent English
The drawbacks?It is a university hostel for the rest of the year and it feels like one .The lift broke as we were checking out and we were on the 6th floor- I was glad we weren't checking in then.The proof of the pudding though is that I would stay there again.
Can I help you with any more queries?

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Garrick

Hi Frances

Many thanks for your response. Would you consider the accomnmodation OK for a couple in their 60's?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Frances

That's tricky- especially as you ask whether it's "O.K." not whether you should stay there.
If you've not been to Finland before you may not know that matresses on beds tend to be much thinner than I am used to elsewhere. If you have back problems this may be significant as the matresses in the Academica are thin.However I can't tell you which hotels would be any different.
I think that the point I made above about the lift(or are they called elevators in N.Z.)could be important.In a hotel you would expect a porter to take your baggage in this sort of situation.
It also depends on your experience and what you want. If you are familiar with university hostels then its fine.If not and you are expecting a small hotel you will find it basic.
I think the bottom line-having written all this is ,if the price is really important then try it.There certainly were people your age there.
On the other hand if you are fond of your comforts then try elsewhere.
Good luck

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Garrick

Thanks Frances. You have been very helpful.