Helsinki / Tallinn costs.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Helsinki, Tallinn and wherever else sounds good but I've heard some scare stories about the "cost of living" especially in Helsinki. Keeping in mind I'm from Ireland, so kind of used to paying ridiculous prices, can anyone give a real idea of costs for average meal, night out etc. Also some idea of what the weather is generally like in late August / Sept. Any bits of info appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:59 AM

I found Helsinki to be roughly comparable with London, so you're talking y3 or so for a beer, y15 for a half decent meal...

Tallinn on the other hand is considerably cheaper, I seem to remember more like y1 for a beer, meals a fiver...

But then if you go off the beaten track in Helsinki I'm sure you can find cheaper places. Personally, I'd not spend too long in Helsinki, the most fun I had there was catching a ferry down to Suomelina (spelling?!) which is a small island that used to contain a fort etc...

I went to Tallinn via St Petersburg which I would consider an absolute must if you can be bothered to sort out all the Russia visa malarky.

Let me know if need any more advice...
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

That sounds pretty o.k. Glad you gave the thumbs up for St. Petersburg as that was on our list of "maybes". Is it worth the hassle for 3 days (not including travelling time)?
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:43 AM
hsv

hi marcus,
just bumped into your tallinn/helsinki post.
as regards cost of living in tallinn, you will get some relaxation from the price level in helsinki there.
although for eastern europe prices are still high, as a "westerner" you will get along quite well. expect to pay around 8 - 12 EUR for a main course of good quality at a restaurant.
hotel prices have become comparable to those in western europe- somewhat lower, maybe.
check out homepages of scandic hotels (www.scandic-hotels.com, or via hilton.com) for current prices. also try www.revalhotels.com, radisson.com (some deals occasionally to be had there for a large convention type hotel, that is only 2 years old, though) and again inyourpocket.com.
accomodation is advisable in scandic santa barbara (medium range hotel in great location across the street from old town at around 100 EUR), if you are on a budget in reval expresshotel (resembling an american motorlodge in some respect, but quite new, clean and good location by the harbour and withing a stroll of old town, around 60 EUR). i hear the domina- hotels (around EUR 100) are quite nice, too, but cannot confirm that personally.
pärnu by the way, will be even a little cheaper- accomodation at scandic hotel (top) will set you back around 100 EUR a night, but cheaper lodging options are available, too. Victoria hotell should range around 80 EUR.
Food prices will be nothing to worry about.
By the way, if you are coming in from Helsinki by ferry, you ought to check with the operator for hotel deals. they usually offer substantially discounted prices at all the hotels mentioned and other ones, too, all at good quality. i can confirm this for silja line and have seen, that eckerö- line and nordic jet line also have some deals available (even for riga hotels, if you decide to proceed). i do suppose that tallink will be in the market, too. check out their homepages!
take care
hsv
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:07 AM

Enjoyed a classy evening meal at Lasipalatsi restaurant in Helsinki - that came to about 80 Euros including service plus tip, for a 3 course meal and a couple of beers - it could have been less had we both ordered from the excellent value 19 Euro set menu.

In Tallinn we stayed at the Domina City Hotel which we really liked - well priced, well located and nice rooms. If you want a bathtub as well as shower make sure to ask specifically for one when booking, as we did - most rooms are shower only.

For a reasonably cheap meal you could try the Beer House, just off the Town Hall square. We weren't keen on food but I think we ordered poorly - should have stuck to one of the many sausage dishes. Beer is good.

Kolme Konna Grill, in the basement of Peppersack, does good grilled foods, For 2 courses plus beer/ cider the bill was about 240 kroon plus tip for the two of us.

One of our favourite places to eat was Kuldse Notsu Kõrts (The Little Piggy Inn) - we thought it seemed a bit tacky/ touristy at first but really really enjoyed the food there. For a 3 course meal for 2 including a couple of drinks the bill was 550 kroon plus tip.

Up near Kiriku Plats we had another nice lunch at Olematu Ruutel. A bit quiet there during the lunch time we visited though.

One evening we eat at Grandma's Restaurant - apparently very well thought of locally. It's really lovely and we enjoy the food. The bill would have been substantially cheaper if we hadn't ordered the two most expensive main dishes on the menu - they were a step up in price from most dishes. Bill was just under 600 for starter, main and drinks.

A cheap lunch location is the creperie on Pikk street - we had a nice lunch there - didnt note costs but cheap.

Museum entries etc are nomimal for UK visitors.

Old May 21st, 2003, 02:25 AM
hsv

hi marcus (again),

planning to go myself, i just checked the ferries' websites and they do have deals on hotels! Check the following:
-www.siljaline.de (-> Gut zu wissen -> Hotelservice)
-www.njl.ee
-www.tallink.se
-www.eckeroline.fi/en
they in fact even offer deals in hotels in pärnu and riga, too.
you will get 4/5 star hotels at around EUR 100,-.
Should you still consider going to Riga, you could also try www.viariga.lv
regards
hsv
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:33 AM

Hey marcus

Been a while i know, sorry! St Petersburg is definitely worth the hassle. Getting the invitation to travel and the visa sorted out are indeed both troublesome tasks but I would definitely recommend it since you're in that neck of the woods...

Any specific questions, let me know.

All the best

Jim
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info guys! Booked twin rooms in Hotel Ava in Helsinki (67 euro) and Hotel Mihkli in Tallinn (65 euro) so did well on prices I think.
Not the fussiest as far as accom. standards are concerned. We've already started having hassle with organising visas for Russia so think we'll skip St. Petersburg. Also read too many reports on another site about dodgy police, border guards etc. for me to look forward to going there - sorry Jim. Latvia and Parnu it is. Cheers
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:22 AM

When we passed through Helsinki on our way to St. Petersburg, we stayed in student housing, which reduced the costs considerably. Unfortunately I do not remember how we discovered it.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone know if you can get discounts to the schlossle hotels that are in Tallin and Riga? These hotels look really nice but are expensive. Also, the Domina Hotel in Riga looked nice - anyone have notes on it?

I am going to be in Helsinki in early August at a conference and want to tack on a week leisure trip to St. Petersburg, Tallin and Riga. Are there any tours for about 1 week that cover just this area ? Everything I've seen covers more areas than just these 2 cities, but I'd rather do 3 nites in St. Petersburg, 2 nites in Tallin, and 2 nites in Riga.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Kiki
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:32 PM
hsv

kiki,

the schlössle group of hotels is rather exclusive. as they are very small, too, it will be hard to get great discounts.
the best option i could find is to book through a travel agency in riga called via riga.
here's their english website:
http://www.viariga.lv/en/viesn/riga.htm
they are offering the grand palace at EUR 190,-
regarding tallinn, there are two domina hotels: domina ilmarine and domina city. the latter is the newer one, the former is in a more residential style. i have not stayed at either of them, but they have been getting good reviews.
if you do not mind staying in more conventional hotels (big, more conference oriented), the Reval Hotels chain with the Olümpia in Tallinn and the Latvija in Riga is a good choice. But they are quite a contrast to the admittedly more charming smaller hotels.
If you find the Grand Palace too expensive, you might try Hotel de Rome in Riga. It is a little bigger than the Palace (but has about 90 rooms only, so is not that big). It's got a great location and good management. They also offer a pretty good breakfast buffet.
i also keep praising "www.inyourpocket.com". they are a terrific source of reliable information on both Tallinn and Riga. Do obtain each of their guides upon arrival in each city (usually available in hotels and kiosks like Narvesen).
should you need any more advice, do post here!
regards
hsv
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:40 PM
hsv

kiki,
once more:
please mind that the Domina Hotels are in Tallinn, not Riga.
Apart from that, your schedule sounds great- but I am not sure that you will find a package tour with those exact specifications. In order to keep that schedule you might have to fly at least one of the segments. Do not hesitate to look at local carriers airbaltic (affiliated to SAS) and Estonian. They should be perfectly safe.
Driving by car from Tallinn to Riga or v.v. will take you approx. 5 - 6 hours depending on traffic at the border.
have a grat trip
hsv
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 04:41 AM
LLC

Any updates on costs?
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 10:17 AM
hsv

No considerable changes since summer.

Check out some of the websites posted and you will see for yourself.

Cheers
hsv
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 06:47 AM

marcus,

Any comments on those two hotels in helsinki/ tallinn ('Ava' and 'Mikhli')?