Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris for 7 people, 3 nights -- hotel or apt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling to Paris this Thanksgiving with my husband, our 4 kids (12, 10, 8 and 6), and my mother in law. We live in Italy, which explains the short trip and short notice. I am the only one in the group who has visited Paris. I want it to be as nice an experience as possible for my motherinlaw. After searching this site and slowtrav, I can't decide what would be a better deal -- 3 hotel rooms or one apt. Most apts. (like paris perfect)rent by the week. I know we'd pay at least $100-$200 per hotel room. Ideally, I'd like to spend about $300 a night for all -- and still have a charming place! Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks!
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 10:30 PM

I suspect it would be easiest on your mother-in-law if she had her own space. As for your family, an apartment might be easiest. Or is she the sort that would feel excluded if you got her something close by but separate?

I haven't stayed here, but this place is recommended in at least one guide book and could give you a setup that would combine some benefits of both hotel and apartment: http://www.hotelmarignan.com
I don't know that it would be charming, though.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! I read about the Hotel Marignan (although couldn't get its site to work) and agree that it sounds like just what I asked for. My mother-in-law is very easygoing, but I'd say the charm factor is more important to her than privacy. I think I need to boost my target price to about $400 per night. Any other ideas?
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 11:05 PM

I don't really know much about apartments. The site isn't working for me right now either. It appears there are at least two hotels with a similar name when I do a search on Google, one of which is a deluxe Sofitel. I was referring to this one, which has a budget focus rather than charm focus, but is good for families and groups.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

But it sounds like that might not suit your mother-in-law anyway.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

I checked out your link, and it does sound nice. What great reviews! It would suit my family to a tee -- it's exactly the kind of place we like. You are right; the mother-in-law would probably rather not share a bathroom. Thanks, though.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 11:25 PM

Some of the rooms there have bathrooms and some don't, which is reflected in the price.

Check out this thread for some more ideas:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34478609