Search

What to wear in Paris--again

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear in Paris--again

Here's a quote from today's New York Times travel section on Paris restaurants:

... use common sense -- jeans and T-shirts are not suitable in Paris restaurants, nor are shorts or running clothes, except in the most casual bistros and cafés.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:03 AM

I just wonder about all thoes potential travelers who repeatedly revile the NYT for its so-called "liberal" views but who will embrace THIS viewpoint with absolutely wide-eyed devotion.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:44 AM

"So called liberal views".That's a joke right?Your not really disputing that NYT editorial page is an arm of the democratic party.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Wear what you want...trust me. I was just there in June and saw everything you could imagine.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:52 AM

As usual, the NYT's gets it wrong.

A huge % of places will gladly take your money even if, heaven forbid, you might be wearing jeans.

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM

I've got the legs and rear end that look amazing in shorts and jeans, so I always wear them in Paris. You got it -then flaunt that hot stuff. Besides you'll never see those rude & smug french people again.

In fact, the service seems better when I wear real tight, brightly colored jeans and shorts.

A waiter appears as soon as I enter, they take me immediately to a table right next to the kitchen, my food is served right away and my bill is presented before I've finished my salad. Go figure.

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM

common sense....worn out jeans and a t-shirt with the PCF logo (Parti communiste français) on it, keep your camera in your TATI shopping bag and no pickpocket/con artist will take a second glance at you.

Sam
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM
ira

>...keep your camera in your TATI shopping bag and no pickpocket/con artist will take a second glance at you. <

You mean I shouldn't carry my camera in my Bon Marche' bag?
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 01:40 PM

You can wear almost anything in Paris, especially if you're going to casual resturants. But, I wouldn't recommend it. Jeans and tennis shoes make you stand out as an American which probably isn't the greatest idea right now!
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM

"Jeans and tennis shoes make you stand out as an American." What utter nonsense.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 03:22 PM

a Bon Marche bag would be great.inside add an empty vodka bottle as a even more effective repellant.

Sam
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 03:50 PM

I ate dinner at a crepe place in the 4th. The waiter looked very nice, but was wearing jeans and tennis shoes. I guess I should have told him he was dressing like an American.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 03:55 PM

I haven't read that article yet, but I agree that common sense is a good guideline in any city. No jeans is not true, and Tshirts can vary a lot in style (probably too cool now for that, anyway). I do agree that "running clothes" are not suitable for dining except in really casual places, but find it kind of interesting that NYT thinks it necessary to write articles (for Americans, I guess) telling them not to wear running clothes in restaurants. Why would people be wearing running clothes when traveling. The one thing they don't have right is that style and appropriate clothing vary a whole lot depending on the part of town and type of restaurant. I had an apt. last year in the summer in a part of town with few tourists, and in neighborhood casual restaurants, most of the local residents were dressed extremely casually--guys in their 20s-30s were wearing shorts, Tshirts and athletic shoes, for example.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:30 PM

I just got back from spending 2 glorious weeks in Paris and let me tell you "anything goes" . I even went to the Pret a Porter Show when I was there and that's really where I saw well dressed french women and black is no.1 over there too. But jeans with t-shirts or nice tops teamed with sexy shoes was also very popular. Honestly, where fashion is concerned I came away feeling"wear something that's comfortable" cause trust me you will be doing alot of walking and if you go in the summer you will be hot and sweaty and you'll want to be comfortable more than anything. Even at the Buddha Bar and Maxins clubs jeans were the dress of choice. My girlfriends and I dressed up and we felt overdressed.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Hey ReddVelvet....thanks for the tips on dressing in Paris!!!! Do you have any thoughts on what to wear in Florence or Rome? I am a single 29 year old girl from NYC...do they dress the same in Italy, more or less? I am leaving for Italy next week, so any reply would be most helpful!!!!
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 11:49 PM

When reading a generalisation one, such as the one in the NYT, it is a 'general' rule.
Yes you will see jeans at night BUT it's the accessories which matter. French women will wear jeans with black sheer stockings and high heels. Running clothes are often 'burb ganger outfits' and are not appropriate for Restaurants. Key word here is restaurants, which are different from bars brasseries, creperies...

I imagine the article was written for people who do not want to be spotted immediately for foreigners (ie before they open their mouthes). But yes feel free to dress as you want, the uncouth are also freely served...
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

...but not usually given the best tables.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Nor are they given the best attention...
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:55 PM

I like to wear black jeans/slacks and decent walking shoes. Black coat, scarf and gloves.
I wore these type of clothes in Ttaly, France and London and felt totally comfortable.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Well, I, for one, just cannot understand why so many hope to "get away with" jeans and sneakers everywhere in Europe.

For one thing, there are more attractive, and way more comfortable, shoes than sneakers (which are awfully heavy to tromp about in all day long, and don't "breathe" on your feet). And, cotton blend twill slacks are every bit as comfortable (if not more so) as jeans (if not more so) and can be washed in the sink (dry overnight, keep their creases, and do not require pressing or ironing). And, they have fabulous deep front pockets.

For the ladies and the gents, black bottom, nice top, jacket/blazer/sweater will take you anywhere, along with black shoes (even sneakers).

Sure, you can "get by" with jeans and sneakers and sweats and jogging suits.

Twill cotton (or all-season wool) slacks, with a nice shirt/blouse/tee/twin set and jacket/blazer, are ever so much more "presentable" than jeans and a tee/sweat shirt with nylon windbreaker.

For sure, you'll see others in anything and everything.

Degas make a good point (in a round about manner).

How you are received nearly everywhere is proportionate to how you present yourself.

If you're ignored in a restaurant/shop, there's no table for you (despite all the empty tables all about) or your reservation cannot be found...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -