Paris Experts...Need your Help!

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Experts...Need your Help!

First I'd like to thank everyone for the wealth of information you have provided us new traveler's. My question is regarding taxi vs Shuttle sevice from Gare du Nord to Paris Center (Louvre area 2nd)What would a taxi charge 2 passengers 2 suitcases from train station to hotel around 12pm? if you know a website were I can reserve a shuttle (if that's a better option) I would appreciate it if you could share that info. Any other suggestions based on your experience is welcomed, thank you!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM

I don't think you really have a choice, I don't know of any shuttle that works from the train stations. I would guess a taxi would vary from perhaps 10-25 euro, depending on traffic or any unusual obstructions.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:11 PM

Bee shuttle works from the train stations. They will meet you at your train with a sign, but it may be cheaper to take a taxi.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
ira

Hi L,

Check www.parisuttle.com and www.beeshuttle.com.

I think a cab will be cheaper.

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM

That's interesting to know, but if Bee Shuttle does that, why don't they mention it anywhere on their website or give a rate for it? or am I missing something. same quewstion for parishuttle
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM

If you click on the private transfer service of Bee Shuttle and go down the page a little bit, it say transfer service to/from any train station 35 euros 1-3 people, additional people more. We used them, but I think a taxi would be cheaper for just 2 people.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll be hailing a cab when I arrive...although I'm not sure of how to reserve a cab for 5am to depart on the 7am Easyjet flight to Rome.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You can order a taxi online through www.taxisg7.fr. The site also has a fare calculator. The reserved taxis are in a special underground parking zone near the rental cars. The taxi driver waits for you with a sign.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:43 AM

Luvly76, don't sweat it: when you get out of the Eurostar (because I guess it's where you'll be coming from), just turn right, walk about 50 m, and the taxi queue will be there. Depending on how far up you'll be on the Eurostar, the wait should be between 5 and 25 mn. This shuttle business is already nonsense from airports, even more so from stations, so forget about this uselessly and clumsily imported North American feature (the shuttle). The distance you are going to cover from GdN to your hotel is quite short: on my motorbike, it would take less than 10 mn. A taxi, using its dedicated traffic lanes and at non rush hour, will take 15-20 mn tops. With the suitcase supplement, it should be somewhere between €10 and 15 (remember, no compulsory tip in European cabs).
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM

Sorry, I forgot about the second part of your message, the early taxi to Orly. No need to book one the day before, we are not in the provinces. Just ask the hotel staff to call the local "borne de taxis" (taxi stand) 15 mn before your scheduled departure from central Paris, and there won't be any problem. BTW, at this time, you'll only need 20-25 mn from the 2nd to Orly. Italy being Schengen and easyJet checking procedures being quite simple and quick (of course: no allocated seat! ), being there one hour before take off is more than enough. So I would leave the hotel at 5h30.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:37 PM

"This shuttle business is already nonsense from airports."

For one traveler, a shuttle is a more economical, if less convenient option. Also, some people would rather not be "at the mercy" of a cab driver where they do not speak the language or know the terrain, though Paris area cabbies are in the vast majority honest. For two, a cab is better, I think.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM

When you get off the train at Gare du Nord, you will likely be accosted by drivers who have unlicensed cabs. At least we were, and so were other people. But ignore them, and proceed to the taxi stand queue. Even if it looks long, you'll soon get your taxi.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:48 PM

I booked a return shuttle from my hotel to the airport so I wouldn't have to lug my suitcases on the train/metro at oh-dark-thirty in the morning.

Here is the URL:
http://www.parisplus.com/Pass_Product/parispass.htm.

Just go to the bottom left and pick your airport. They will ask you for your hotel's address so you should have that handy. I thought they were reasonable.

Good luck!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Art Vandelay, Willtravel, Joliefleur...thank you! I was stressing the little stuff, thanks to you I feel prepared, I know the key phrases to get me food, lodging and to and from the airport so I will be fine speaking and understanding my taxi guide (drilling down the pronounciation, I don't want to butcher such a beautiful language). Only 23 days until I'm in Paris!