Paris-Delhambre or Sevre Azur?

Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Paris-Delhambre or Sevre Azur?

Hello, franophiles and/or Paris connoisseurs!

I'm going to Paris for a week for a writing workshop down in Montparnasse near St. Germain, and two recommended hotels -- for cheap rooms -- are the two above. The sparce reviews indictate rooms are small--HOW SMALL?? A closet? And I can tell nothing about the ambience or environment. Anyone know these or either of them (yes, cheap, Delhambre is 3 stars vs 2 but why I cannot tell). Anyone have suggestions? Anyone have a better recommendation if the classes will be near the Gare Montparnasse? I can afford to spend at least a tad more. Merci!
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:51 AM

You can email the hotels for the exact room measurement. They can provide that.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:57 AM

I'd choose the Delambre over the Sevres-Azur...I read the reviews on Tripadvisor, and there was a smoke issue with S-A (it's listed as "Hotel Sevre-Azur"), and some other comments, maybe Venere? Delambre was redecorated a couple of years ago, so it's rooms should be in decent shape. No A/C though.

A couple of hotels perhaps a shade nearer to Gare Montparnasse that have been getting some credits lately are:

Hotel Arcadie
http://www.hotel-paris-arcadie.com/

Hotel Central Montparnasse
http://www.central-paris-hotel.com/

http://www.delambre-paris-hotel.com/

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75006sevresazur.htm
Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:05 AM

It could be a variety of things as to the star difference, but the Delhambre has AC, for one BIG thing. Isn't that a consideration for you? It sure would be fore me in July, which I think is when this thing is.

I really doubt if anyone on here is going to be able to tell you the exact size of rooms in those two hotels, so you really should ask the hotel. I would want to know also, if I were staying there a while.

I know those two locations and prefer the Delambre's location myself, and think it's more convenient for various reasons for transportation, neighborhood shops, cafes, etc. It's also a lot closer to that workshop. The Delambre itself is recommended a lot in various guidebooks and places, so I am sure it's a quality hotel, although I don't think it's exactly charming but functional (ie, decor of rooms).

I wouldn't probably choose either hotel (def. not Sevres Azur due to AC, location and suspect rooms are smaller), but look for something a little different in style than Delambre, although it would be okay. I also really like a minibar and don't think it has them.

Some other good reasonable hotels in the area are the Lenox Montparnasse which has doubles around 105 euro in July
http://www.paris-hotel-lenox.com/

and I think someone on here (Morganne) recommended the BW Bretagne Montparnasse which is right near gare Montparnasse. I looked at it online and it did like nice and has very reasonable rates, also (around 100 euro). It's also a 3* with AC and a good location.

My favorite hotel in that area is the 3* Hotel Aiglon on bd Raspail. It is very nicely decorated and comfortable, with AC and minibars and nice staff. I know their smallest doubles are a comfortable size. It's a very convenient location being right near a metro stop. They do have summer discounts, but I don't think they start until July 8th when a double would be around 100 euro; before that, I think they are now around 125 euro.

The Lenox has very good ratings on Tripadvisor (they do have two locations, so get the right one), and the BW Bretagne's ratings are pretty good with a couple quibbles.

There are a lot of good hotels around there, and more you could look into-- Hotel Renoir on rue du Montparnasse, Hotel Jardin laBrea, and Residence Montparnasse on rue Stanislaus (not sure if it has AC)
http://www.hotel-residence-montparna...eral-hotel.com

are a few I can think of that could work for you. The Hotels Raspail and Royal are a couple more, but I think cost more. The Atelier Montparnasse is another decent one in that area that is your rate and has AC
http://www.123europe.com/123/en/hote...d_hot=12000130

lots to choose from -- I'd personally pick the Aiglon if in my budget, then probably BW Bretagne or Lenox next.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:33 PM

Note there are 2 'Bretagne' hotels (1 is Royal B, other is BW B) and 2 'Lenox' hotels (1 is Montparnasse, other is St Germain).
Jun 5th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys.

Only based on Christine's recommendation, I checked out Hotel Aiglon (like the name also). May I ask, what is it about this hotel that is special for you? I have written and they are available.

Also--anyone have experience with Le Gregoire in same area? A bit more expensive, and I'm not quite clear whether "individual climate control" means AC or what?

Merci a tous, encore.
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:02 AM
ira

Hi dee,

"individual climate control" means AC with a thermostat in your room.

Jun 5th, 2005, 06:17 AM

I'm never sure if the "individual climate control" means AC or not, either. I think it does. I think I've heard there are some hotels that have something more like ventilation or fans that can be controlled individually, not sure AC, but I really don't know about that.

As for the Aiglon, it's just a hotel I've stayed at a lot so I know what it is like and there are no surprises. Whenever you go to a new hotel, regardless of what the description is, you are never really sure until you stay there as to what the whole experience is going to be like and whether someone else's great experience is going to be the same for you, or whether people are evaluating the same things the way you do. Some people rave about hotels that I think nothing special or actually disliked. People are often treated differently in some hotels and rooms can vary a lot as to desirability. For example, someone may have had a great double room in the superior category, and you may get something completely different if you are single. And I don't mean when you book single rooms (which of course can often be very different), but I've had hotels give me an inferior room just because I was single even when I requested and said I wanted and would pay for a regular double room. I don't like hotels like that. I also have some things that are important to me in a hotel, and I know the Aiglon has them from staying there--decent reading lights, comfortable beds and pillows, a minibar, really good bathroom, and they do not put the TV on bars near the ceiling, which I hate. I also know the layout of the hotel so can request a certain location of a room which I prefer (on the back looking over the cemetery), and they always respect my request. Many hotels will not respect your request for a specific kind or location of rooms.

So, it's just a hotel I am comfortable in and like, but for someone who has not stayed there, it may be nothing special and nothing different than many others. I also really like the location as I went to school in the neighborhood and have stayed in it for many years, so it is "home" to me in Paris, but many people do not like that location, so these are all personal things. I do not want to give the impression that this is some super-duper hotel that one HAS to stay it because it is so wonderful compared to many others. It's just a comfortable, reasonably priced 3* hotel, with a nice staff, and I like the location. I have thought their rooms a bit bigger than many other hotels in that category, also (definitely compared to some I've stayed in), but their smaller double rooms are not huge by any means. They aren't minuscule, though, and I don't think anyone who stays there will comment on how small the rooms are, as they often do (depending on where they are used to staying, of course). The smaller doubles would be pretty small for a couple. I think the Aiglon actually has a couple rooms they designate as "singles", which I have never stayed in as their rates are so reasonable for a regular double, and I imagine they would be pretty small, but no more so than many hotels.