Paris Crepe Place

Search

Paris Crepe Place

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Crepe Place

<BR>Can someone please remind me of the name &amp; address of the homey (Breton?) crepe place on or near the rue Gregoire-de-Tours?<BR><BR>My wife &amp; I have been there twice in the past 15 years. You pay a small sum &amp; get a cup of hard cider, a ham &amp; cheese crepe and a dessert crepe.<BR><BR>I hope someone has a better memory than mine.<BR><BR>merci
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:12 PM

Don't know that creperie---but there is a great one on Ile St Louis. The name and address is Le Sarrasin et le Froment Creperie, 84-86 rue St Louis en L'Isle. Make acquaintance with Mina, the exuberant owner/waitress/entertainer.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Jinx Hoover
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

<BR>Wow -- I answered my own question by searching the archives for an old post ...<BR><BR>From 6/12/2001 ...<BR>&quot;A La Bonne Crepe which is an old Frommers favorite that you still can't beat for brunch: For 50 francs per person, you get a cup of hard cider, a ham &amp; cheese crepe &amp; a dessert crepe.&quot;
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:31 PM

Could it be &quot;A La Bonne Crepe&quot; 11, rue Gregoire de Tours, next to Restaurant Chateaubriand? I found this one on pagesjaunes. Have a look and see if it's the one you are remembering.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:34 PM

Well, that's me for you. A day late and a dollar short! Do try the pages jaunes site though.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:49 PM

What would 50 francs be in Euros or American dollars? Just curious. Trying to plan for a meal budget. Thanks!!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:21 PM

When I was in France in the fall of 2001 and using francs, I divided francs by seven to get a rough estimate in USD. Using that value, dividing 50 francs by seven equals a little over seven dollars. The Euro and the USD are (or were a short time ago) about equivalent, so you're looking at about seven USD. Taking into account inflation and the hiccup in prices when the conversion occured, it might be about 10 USD by now.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:36 PM

Given the exchange rate between dollar and euro now, I'd divide by about 8 now - a lot to pay for a cr&egrave;pe meal. You could probably get a better deal at a bistro or brasserie.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:51 AM

StCirq, didn't you mean divide by 6 or even less now? I'd be happy to divide those old franc prices by 8, but think that 5 or 6 would be closer to it.<BR><BR>The best crepes I've had in Paris were not from any of the numerous crepe restaurants I've been to, but from the little street stands. There was always one near Odeon right outside Relais St. Germain that were simply fantastic and cheap!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:03 AM

The crepes mekka in Paris is definitely in the Montparnasse area. That's were all the Bretons settled down, when they arrived in Paris.<BR>Most are located on Rue d'Odessa and Rue de Montparnasse.<BR>I think somebody (Elaine, Christina?) usually recommend the creperie Josselin on 59, Rue de Montparnasse.<BR>I am not a real crepes fan, so no personal recommendation.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 10:09 AM

I think I probably have mentioned Josselin as a good place -- actually, I'm not that big a crepes fan, myself, but rue du Montparnasse is kind of known as the crepe street in Paris. <BR><BR>Since the dollar has dropped vs. euro, you would get fewer francs/$, not more -- I sure know that from years of seeing exchange rates bounce from less than 5 to maybe 7.4F/USD at the highest I ever had.<BR><BR>francs vs euro is fixed at 6.56F=1 euro, so 50F would be 7.6 euro (not doubt more now from inflation, as Betsy said). That isn't so much for a crepes dinner to me. A cup of coffee can set you back US$3-5.