Paris Catacombs

Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Catacombs

Is this worth touring? Any idea on how much this is? We're thinking of booking a private tour for $50/each online but not sure if this is worth it and can't seem to find the entrance fee online...
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM

We thoroughly enjoyed them, with these caveats:

a. We did NOT book a private tour...just wandered through...so I can't say whether the private tour is worth it.

b. It was not our first trip to Paris - I would not put it in the top things to do if you've never been to Paris before -- too many other "can't miss" things to do. Just my opinion. (Unless you're going to be there more than a week.)

SS
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM

We just did it and while we enjoyed it I sure wouldn't do it again. We waited about 2.5 hours in line and then once we were in the catacombs they were way way too long. I think half as long would be good. Definitely would not prioritize this on a trip to Paris.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:02 PM

We enjoyed our visit also to the catacombs but waited in line nearly two hours also. If the tour eliminates that wait it would probably be worth it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM

DD visited the Catacombs last year while I waited above ground. We arrived about 30 minutes before it opened in the morning and there was already a line of about 30 or 40 people. The line moved quickly once it opened. She was glad she went but I don't think it was one of her favorite things to do in Paris.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:57 AM

I visited it many years ago and did have some kind of private guide, but I understand French so think it was just a few euro for the guide on-site. As usual, if you have a good guide, he or she can explain the history and what it is all about, that's all. To be honest, I don't think that entire situation is so complicated or extensive that you would need a guide here as much as other places, unless you don't want to read anything about it.

I guess it must have gotten more popular, when I've been by there in the past, the line was never 30-40 people, but I'm sure that also varies by time of year.

I would never pay $50 per person for a private tour of that, that seems very high to me, but I suppose that would be about 40 euro for a couple hours and it is because it is private.

Whether the site is worth seeing is subjective, it would be of more interest to someone who is interested in urban renewal history or the history of how cemeteries used to be used for mass burials, of course. If you have no particular idea as to whether you have an interest in them, I wouldn't put it as a must-see over many other things that might be more enjoyable. It's really just one particular site to demonstrate one issue, that's all, when they relocated the remains buried in one cemetery for urban renewal and sanitation reasons. Yes, they were used for some other historical purposes during the Resistance, but it is an ossuary, that's what it is.

The fees are very clearly listed right on the website in the tab called entrance prices http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm

some tours don't include the entrance fee, either, so you'd have to be clear on that point if you pay a private guide
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 09:08 AM

I am a big fan of the catacombs, as posted elsewhere on this site, here are some photos I took when I visited.

http://www.parisbyphoto.com/monument...mbs/index.html

I did have to queue a bit, but the line goes down pretty quickly, so it was probably for about 10 mins max. That was at the very start of the day; so some of that 10 mins was waiting for it to open.

One tip is be prepared when you leave, as the exit is not close to the entrance, so you may get thrown off a little.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A private tour would be a total waste of money. The small bits of historical information that you would learn are in all of the guide books.

I love the catacombs as a totally different experience. Bring a sweater if you are easily chilled.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 01:30 PM

parisbyphoto, you aren't kidding about that exit not being near the entrance thing. You'd think given how far apart they are they'd at least have a sign with a map on it showing where you went in and where you are now but if they had such a sign we missed it. It took us a while to figure out where we were! Fortunately my husband was there, he's much better with directions than me.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 04:46 PM

I agree with some of the posts above in that it's not something I would do on a first (or short) trip to Paris. That said, I've enjoyed the 2 (maybe 3?) times I've gone over the years. No guide necessary, imo.

I don't remember ever waiting on a line, but I typically go to Paris during off-peak times.