Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

paris half marathon trip report...hooray, i finished!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for all those you helped me with information, thank you. i wanted to give everyone a report on my half marathon.
i went to the parc on friday to see if i could still sign up for the race on sunday. i went to registration but was told no luck. it was all full and had been for months. 20,000 runners!! unbelievable. a nice exhibitor who spoke english listened to my plea and took me over to meet the head of the marathon race to plead my case. the head guy said the race was full and there was no way i could get in. i was pretty dejected but thanked him for his time.i hung around for a couple of hours trying to think of something but no luck.
i went back on saturday and spoke to another runner who had just registered. he was kind enough to make a sign for me in french saying i was from the USA looking for a spot in the race. i waited by the exit door as hundreds of runners left with their registration number and computer chip. one hour later a husband and wife came up and from what i understood, as i don't speak a word of french, his wife said it was too cold to run and would sell me her spot. i said THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
i would run as "patricia" but i was in!!!!!
sunday morning along with 19,999 other runners i lined up ready to run my first half marathon. it was freezing, but very beuatiful. a light snow falling. my goal was to try and run it under 2 hours. and off i went.
the streets were lined with people cheering everywhere, despite the lousy cold weather. there were about 20 different groups of bands playing tunes along the route. from the park at bois de vincennes, up to chatelet and then back to the parc. it was fantastic!!! everyone was so nice. having fun, some dressed in costumes, everyone clapping and cheering everyone on. magnifique!!
well, i finished in 2 hours, 4 minutes. but i finished. a special thanks to dave in paris for his help. i will be back next year.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:38 PM

That's great!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM

You must be one of the most determined people I have ever 'met'! Glad you achieved your goal (to run)..
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM

How exciting for you! I am so glad it worked out. I have ran a few marathons and they can be a lot of fun. I followed your earlier posts about trying to register, so thank you for the follow up, and a huge congrats to you!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

to mms
congrats on running a few marathons. as i crossed the finish line pretty worn out, the thought that crossed my mind first was that if i had been running a full marathon, i would have to run another full 13.1 miles. oh boy!! kudos to all you true marathoners.
maybe if i continue to train , i can return next year to paris for the full marathon.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:12 PM

xman--My girlfriends and I do it for fun, we are definitely not the typical hardcore type, lol!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm so happy for you. "Luck be a lady tonight."
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM

congratulations...."patricia".

Paris is on my list of marathons to run. I did not realize there was half as well - hmmmm.

Hope you continue to train and run a marathon - it is worth all the time and sacrifices!!!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Oh, another happy ending...you must be exhilirated!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM

awww.. I'm all teary eyed! This is so cool! Good for you! Hip Hip HOOORAY!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Good for you - "Patricia"! That is fantastic! I followed your posts while you were searching for a way to get in, I'm really glad to hear it worked out!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Congratulations xman. The farthest I've run is a half marathon. But it wasn't through the streets of Paris. Awesome!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Congratulations!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Congratulations!! I've done the Paris marathon twice and I can say it's just as fabulous, just twice as long. You can do it! The spirits are so high all over that day that the distance will breeze past. Looking at your time, you can finish in 4:30 or less so you'll get a good, full, marathon experience. Also I've done marathons in other countries and I can tell you...Paris was the <b>best.</b>

I'm not surprised at what you did, however. We long distance runners tend to be more....er, <i>tenacious</i> when we decide we want something.

Did you eat something fabulous as a reward?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:56 PM

The French have three words for it: &quot;Toute est possible!&quot; The Paris Marathon route goes right past us. We open the second-floor window and play great old French songs uncivilly loud and wave at the runners -- especially the ones who come by toward the end. We think they look the happiest of all! We hope to wave to you one year. Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll go far!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:59 AM
ira

Good for you, xman.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Congratulations, xman... Many would have given up after being told that there was no spot in the race. You must feel great about getting in and actually being able to participate. I admire your determination!

Sandy
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Glad to hear it!!!!! Grats on the race!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

to dave in paris
i am returning to paris in may with my daughter as a graduation present. since you live there, i would be very interested in your thoughts on where a 22 year old might enjoy paris, such as live music spots, trendy shoppping, etc. things you might know of that her 50 year old dad would not be thinking of.
thanks, michael
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:49 PM

Michael, I took my neice to Paris last year for her graduation. Her favorite thing was the fashion show at Galaries Lafayette. Check on the website. They are free with advanced reservations. And you'll be surrounded by beautiful women!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -