Paris Catacombs

Sep 26th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Paris Catacombs

Are the catacombs in Paris worth visiting? Yes, no and what you did or did not like about it.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Most certainly, especially on a warm day! We found the catacombs very intriguing; the only bad thing was the lengthy climb up endless stairs to get back out.
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:42 AM

I went to the Catacombs 5 years ago with my 2 sons ages 11 and 14 and we found the Catacombs very interesting and spooky (what boys wouldn't?!) There are long dark passageways, which we walked through at our own pace. It was rather damp, with some puddles, some uneven floors, and narrow winding steps to get in. If you can't handle those conditions, you should reconsider going there. The tunnel walls, once in the actual Catacombs, are made up of piles of skulls and bones, often in designs. The bones are from overcrowded cemetaries which became a health issue back in the 1700's.

The entrance was a little hard to find - it's actually just a small door with a small sign. Check the times carefully - we went the first time and it was closed. I recommend it if you like that sort of thing. We did.

Here is a web site with pictures if you want to check them out...
http://triggur.org/cata/

Enjoy!
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:52 AM

We found the catacombes definitely worth seeing. I don't remember the stairs being such a problem--nothing like Arc de Triomphe. You walk for about a mile viewing all the stacked bones and skulls and the ceiling is fairly low. The manner in which the bones were stacked occasionally displays humorous touches. If you will be in Paris soon you may find the catacombes closed at this time.
Sep 26th, 2005, 10:41 AM

P.S. Take a flashlight with you.
Sep 26th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

nini:

I'm 6'7". Will my height pose a problem since you said the ceilings are somewhat low. Thanks.
Sep 26th, 2005, 10:50 AM

If you decide to visit the Catacombs, you can combine it with a stroll thru the Montparnasse Cemetery, and maybe a ride up to the rooftop overlook on the Tour Montparnasse. It's an easy walk between all of these...
Sep 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM

ebhjaw---If you are 6'7" you may have a problem with the ceiling height--my husband is 6' 2" and he bearly sqeaked under. There were some areas that seemed to be a little higher but it definitely has some rather low points. And we did take a flashlight.
Sep 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM

I'm 6'3" and I remember having to stoop a little, but I managed. I also don't recall the Catacombs being exceptional nor a waste of time. Kind of, "Oh, that's interesting" but certainly not the hightlight of my trip. Some people find the experience creepy. Depends on your interests and your reaction to stacks and stacks of human bones.

Andrew
Sep 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM

If anyone is the least bit claustrophobic, the Catacombs are best skipped. When I went there, there was a person ahead of us who was claustophobic, and pretty well lost it, and caused a commotion. You can't go back, you have to continue on, and there are some tight passage ways.
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Will the catacombs be open the end of November?
Dec 13th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Will the catacombs be open in mid-March? Are there tours, or is it just a self-walk? Thanks.