Is a daytrip to Paris worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (hubby and I) will be in London around the holidays for 5 days. We've been the London before so we are thinking of taking the Eurostar to Paris for one day, leaving on the earliest train and getting back late. I know this subject has been done a little before, but I just want to know, basically, if its worth going for one day? Realistically, will we be able to see some of the sights and take in some of the city in one day? It looks as if we could have approximately 9-10 hours to spend there if we choose to go.

Any opinions?
Tracy
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
That's how I went to Paris the first time, and it did nothing but fuel my desire to go back 3 more times. You will be able to do very little compared to what's available, but if you prioritize and know where things are and how to cut down travel time in between them, you can do enough to get a good taste.

I think when we went, we saw the biggies in the Louvre, walked Champs Elysees and saw Arc de Triomphe, ate in cafes, visited Notre Dame and took the on-off bus tour for an hour or so (saw Opera House, etc. from that). A friend did this and spent about 2 hours of her day in line at the Eiffel Tower, which we decided wasn't a great use of our time given we did only have about 9 hours.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Of course!!! Go, go, see some sites. Have a long lunch, see a few more sites, any opportunity to hang out in Paris should be taken!
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:14 AM

yes
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:20 AM

When we priced out the Eurostar is was quite expensive (approx 250 GBP, or $450 per person R/T). Perhaps if you were able to get a discounted fare, it could be worth it but not at those prices (IMO).

Otherwise I'd put that towards some fun in England or perhaps a later trip to Paris. Off-season flights from the U.S. to Paris can be had for that same price or less.
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think I'll probably go ahead and plan for a day in Paris. I have always wanted to see Paris, and I'm sure I'm going to love it!

By the way, alan64, I checked on raileurope.com before I posted and they have a $47.00 Leisure Day Trip fare. You have to return on the same day so it would be $47.00 each way. I understand what you are saying though; when we went to London a few years ago we checked out the prices and they were considerably higher. I think the prices must have dropped because if they were $47 each way back then, we would have went.

Thanks!
Tracy
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Oui, at that price I would go!

Our return date was a bank holiday so I suspect that's one reason we could only get high fares. We opted to fly with Easy Jet, but for a 1 way trip at that price Eurostar is much more convienient. Enjoy your trip!
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Even a day in Paris is better than no day....beware, you will HAVE to go back.
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:45 AM

......years ago my DH was on business
in Calais and he made a mad dash to 'see' Paris for a day. He phoned
me that night and all he said was,
"You NEVER told me!" Needless to say
he returned to make a much longer visit!