Search

paris ballet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 03:01 PM
rmh

paris ballet

Planning first trip to Paris in late March. Was interested in attending the ballet. Is the ballet performed at Opera Garnier? Is it better to buy tickets ahead of time or will I be able to get them when I arrive? <BR><BR>Thank you

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Fred

If you'd like to attend a Ballet or Opera while in Paris, a web site and an agency and can use:<BR> Go to: http://www.opera-de-paris.fr<BR>You can get both Opera and Ballet tickets from this site. Click in the center of the screen, click on &quot;calendrier 2001-2002&quot;, click on the month you want. Opera Garnier will be on the left, Bastille on the right. Click on the one you want, then click on &quot;reserver ce spectacle.&quot; The rest is self-explanatory. You'll have 5 minutes to complete the transaction - have your credit card ready. If you don't make it and it ends, just start over - you'll do better the 2nd time.<BR><BR> Write or Fax the Agence Cheque Theatre - 33 rue le Petier - 75009 Paris.<BR>Tel 011-33-1-42-46-72-40. Fax: 011-33-1-48-00-93-93. Request a schedule. If you decide to attend, order the tickets through them - it's put on your charge card, they send you a voucher, and you pick up the tickets 30 minutes before curtain time at the desk marked &quot;Agences&quot; in the lobby.For more Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:37 PM
rmh

fred, thank you for your help.<BR>rmh<BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Beth2

Definitely go - it was the highlight of our trip. Opera Garnier is just an incredible building. Buy tickets ahead for best seats. I suggest &quot;dress circle,&quot; the private box seats along the sides. You will have such a gorgeous view of both the theatre and the dancers!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Julie

We went to the ballet at the Opera Bastille. Saw Don Quichotte--perfect for us since we had spent the first two weeks of our trip in Spain. The ballet was wonderful and I'm glad we purchased tickets in advance (thanks to help from Fred). One thing that surprised me was how casually the crowd was dressed. I had brought along an extra fancy outfit and heels for the ballet and would have been fine in my semi-dressy outfit and my husband certainly didn't need to drag along his suit for this. There were even people in jeans! But again--get tickets in advance. Have a great trip.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:45 AM
carol

As you'll see from the website, the Opera Garnier is the place to see ballet in Paris. Do go even if you can't get the &quot;best&quot; seats. Compared to the Lincoln Center State Theatre and the Metropolitan Opera, the Garnier is a very intimate theater and the sight lines are good from most sections. The theater is an absolute jewel!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 08:13 AM
rmh

thank you all for your responses-you have been most helpful<BR><BR>rmh

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 08:20 AM
bkf

Go ...enjoy but pay attention to the local news. Several years ago on a family/friend trip we bought tickets for my then 13 yr old and her friend....both dance students.....dressed up and there was a strike! the dancers refused to perform as I recall but we went into the theater sat in our seats, stared at the fabulous ceiling and went out for champagne and 2 desserts instead, do not know if I would remember the ballet as much as the compromise....<BR>Enjoy it!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 01:53 AM
balletfan

topping for cooper.<BR><BR>Toughest thing will be to get tickets. <BR>Good luck and have fun in Paris!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Tom

go to http://www.stargonaut.com There you will note on the left side the words: opera, ballets, etc. Click on it and follow directions. It will list the locations and dates of the activities.