Search

Paris at Night

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Bethany

Paris at Night

I will be staying at CDG for several days in September and would like to see Paris at night (I'm traveling alone). Can someone recommend a safe and cost-effective way of doing so? (Are there buses from CDG? Is there a night touring bus or boat that makes the rounds of must-see sites?) Many thanks for your help. (Can't wait!!)<BR><BR>Beth

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Jim Rosenberg

The Air France bus from CDG is inexpensive and it will drop you off right at the Arche de Triomphe, the head of the Champs-Elysees. Take a nice, long walk down the Avenue. Join the bustle. When you reach the obelisk, meander your way generally toward the Eiffel Tower (it's on the other side of the Seine and you can decide if it's worth crossing over for a closer look.) I probably wouldn't this time, but rather, I would go a little farther south and cross over near the Latin Quarter. Catch a ride on Les Bateaux Mouches, if you feel like it (but I'm guessing you will just want to keep on walking). Spend a few hours. If you can't catch the Air France bus back when you're done, just grab a cab; a relatively small investment for the wonderful evening you will have enjoyed. <BR><BR>Yes, you could take a bus tour, but I think you're going to be more impressed just walking the streets and drinking it all in yourself. Listen to the sounds, stop at a sidewalk cafe; see it, smell it, feel it, be part of it. There are no "must-sees" this time; you'll see enough by accident and serendipity. Just promise yourself to come back.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Bethany

Wonderful, Jim. You're always so kind and helpful.<BR><BR>Beth

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Alice

You could also try a "Paris Illuminations" bus ride via CityRama (sp?) that takes you around to all the major monuments at night. Another nice thing to do is a classical concert at the Sainte Chapelle on Ile de Cite. Regarding transportation - are you staying in a hotel with a shuttle to CDG? I think you could also take the RER into Paris, but maybe wouldn't want to do that late at night.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Gretchen

Just curious as to why you are staying at the airport. Why not stay in the city?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:09 AM
kah

I second the Illuminations tour. We got an unexpected layover in Paris courtesy of Air France due to missed connection. My friend had not been to Paris except for a brief layover on the beginning of our trip. We grabbed a cab from CDG straight to the Cityrama office and took the Illuminations tour that included a night boat ride down the Seine. Even having been to Paris many times I really enjoyed this tour and my friend saw much more than we could have managed on our own. We also talked with fellow tourist which we enjoyed.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:52 AM
elvira

Depending upon the hotel, they might have a free shuttle that goes into the city, where you could pick up one of the aforementioned bus tours or boat rides. <BR><BR>