Flying out of Charles de Gaulle..

Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Flying out of Charles de Gaulle..

We will be flying out of Charles de Gaulle to the US on a Saturday morning in April at 11:00am. We are staying kind of near the Eiffel Tower. Is it best just to take a taxi from our hotel to the airport or is there a better option? How long is the drive? How is the airport once we get there- easy to navigate or tremendously busy? Any insights or tips would be appreciated!
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:47 AM

Be at the airport by 8 am., allow 1 hour en route or leave Paris at approximately 7 am.

A taxi is reliable and convenient, about 50€. I use TaxiG7, call the night before for pickup:

http://www.taxisg7.com/
English speaking operator 01 41 27 66 99

Alternatively, you can take the métro/RER B to CDG - 8.70€.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Agree with the above about allowing 4 hours before your flight. CDG security takes a long time (last time it was an hour) and the gates are a hike from the check in desk.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Airport buses are another option and many prefer this to the metro, where you often have to make a change of trains at hectic RER/metro stations like Gare du Nord or Chatelet-les-Halles. But they only serve a few locations in Paris so check with airport bus sites like Roissy Bus to find out where they stop.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Taking the Roissybus or Air France Bus Into Paris from Charles De ...Guide to taking the Roissybus or Air France bus from Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG) into Paris, France.
www.parisescapes.com/paris_cdg_to_paris_bus.html

and for a not so positive review of going by bus:

Airports of Paris - Orly, CDG (Charles de Gaulle - Discover FranceWhile Roissybus and Air France shuttle fares may be somewhat cheaper, they do oblige you to walk, navigate the Métro with your luggage, or take a taxi from ...
http://www.discoverfrance.net/France...s_Paris1.shtml
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:08 AM

I agree that more time at the airport is better than too little, but I fly American Airlines out of CDG (to ORD) and my check-in is always very quick (almost no line), then walk straight through to security. Your hassle at the airport may have a lot to do with which airline and how many flights it handles out of CDG, as well as that of other airlines using the same security checkpoint.

I always take metro/RER, but if lots of luggage or several people, taxi is probably a better option.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM

check with airport bus sites like Roissy Bus to find out where they stop.

Roissybus only stops at Opéra, Air France Bus stops are Montparnasse or Porte Maillot/Etoile, neither of which are convenient for someone staying near the Eiffel Tower, and how does Gare du Nord or Chatelet fit into this poster´s question?

Are the airport buses really a logical solution for someone trying to reach CDG from near the Eiffel Tower?
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:25 AM

No reflecting if going via RER the hectic interchange would be Notre-Dame-Saint-Michel and not Gare du Nord or Chatelet-les-Halles - hectic at least for someone who may be clueless to using REr/metro. Be sure to get on a train at Saint Michel that is going to the airport - many will terminate at Gare du Nord or head other places after that. Paris Aeroport CDG 1 and 2 should be lit up on the overhead sign when you transfer from RER C from Tour Eiffel area to RER B at Saint Michel.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 12:29 PM

My husband and I have a similar itinerary (though we're heading back on a Thursday), and I've been looking at taking Roissybus on the way in, and back if we like it. What's your closest metro stop? We'll be near Ecole Militaire, which means it's a straight shot on line 8 from l'Opera where Roissybus drops off. How many and which stations you'll have to navigate to transfer between metro/RER lines is something you should take into consideration, IMO.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM

If this person has never been to CDG, then chances are they haven't been to Paris. Take a taxi. The hotel can call one for you. Be advised that the taxi's meter starts when they leave their cab stand so do not be put off by the fact that there will be money ON the meter when it pulls up. And also for that reason, be in the lobby waiting for them and get in and go. it will be about 50E.
You NEVER know how long lines may be or what may cause them. There was a bomb scare one time when we were there and the airport access to gates was closed until they blew up some kid's backpack. Then everyone had to get on the antiquated escalators, etc etc. Lots of missed planes.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM

The last time I was in Paris which was 2 years ago I took this limousine service.I am going back this September and probably I would use this service again.

[email protected]
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. We have never been to Paris before to answer someone's question and we will have a party of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenage boys). We are flying Delta- are they a big presense at CDG? Do you think a taxi will take all 4 of us but charge additional for luggage?
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:43 PM

Taxis can easily accommodate 4. Fare to Paris 45€-50€ plus 2.95€ for each person after 3 and 1€ per bag after the first. Just walk out from customs to the curb where the taxi queue is found.