Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris at Easter - any advice for what is open/closed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'll be in Paris over Easter weekend and I realize that both Sunday and Monday are holidays. Does anyone know if major museums that are normally open either of those days will still be open over the holidays?

Also, I've never been to Paris at Easter time. Anyone who has, do you have any advice for special events, activities, closings to be aware of, etc.?

Thanks,
Diane
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Diane, I was just about to post the exact same question, but decided to look first to see if anyone had lately!

Also wondered if that would be a good day for a day trip- Versailles, Giverny, Chartres- or if they would all be really crowded, or if any cathedral/religious site would be extra busy? (Hopefully it's obvious I meant one of those, not all 3!)
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 11:35 PM

topping!
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Easter Sunday is just a Sunday -- the fact that it is Easter does not make it any more of a holiday. On Monday, banks, schools and offices will be closed. The city will be packed with tourists starting Thursday, due to the countries that have Friday off, followed by the countries that have Monday off.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 02:43 AM

We were in Paris at Easter a couple of years ago. It was very crowded!!
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,everyone for your replies. I'm expecting crowds and know I will have to plan accordingly. I'm already finding it challenging to book reservations for some sights (e.g., Eiffel Tower tour). But it does appear that places which are normally open on Sunday and Monday, will be open through the holiday weekend, such as musuems.

Diane
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM

Here's something for Good Friday, if you're interested - go to Notre-Dame and view the relics of the Passion. They are on display on Good Friday from 10am to around 5pm (usually - <i>kerouac</i> may be able to confirm) and consist of the (alleged) Crown of Thorns, a nail and a piece of the Cross.

Each Lent Friday and Good Friday the relics are taken from the Sainte-Chapelle and displayed (with priests wiping down the plastic from all the kisses/blessings) in the centre of Notre-Dame. There are usually two lines, the inner one for the viewing and the outer one goes in the Cathedral but only to view the small chapels, not the relics, so make sure you get into the correct line and be prepared to wait a little while.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I confess (get it?) that I do not keep abreast of religious rituals in town.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM

<i>I confess (get it?) </i> Where's that "smirk" smiley when you need it?!!
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 01:25 AM

If you are staying in an apartment, do remember that supermarkets close by 1 or 1:30 on Sundays and will not open on Monday.

If you are staying in a hotel, I have found that many of the cafes where you might pop in for your morning coffee and croissant open late on holidays, e.g., Easter Monday. It may be the day to eat breakfast at the hotel.

Finally, the museums that close Monday should be closed this Monday, putting a bit more pressure on the places that are open.

I have found holidays to be great days to observe the French in action. It seems to be the custom for extended families to go to lunch together, and it is interesting to see how they dress, what they eat, and how they behave on such occasions.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

@ madamtrashheap (love the name, BTW), thanks for the tip about the relics at Notre Dame on Good Friday. We'll will definitely stop by and if crowds aren't too overwhelming we'll check it out!

@ akislander, I am staying in an apartment (with my daughter) so thanks for making me aware that supermarkets will be closed on Sunday p.m. and Monday.

Diane
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Even on Christmas Day a few years back I was shocked to see how crowded Paris was and how many cafes, stores and even some museums were open. This is a secular society - on Easter like kerouac says and he has lived in Paris for years expect a normal Sunday - large department stores have to close by law but everything else should be open - that is that a tourist will want to go to.