Paris, April, first time, please review my hotel list

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again -- my trip is now booked and I'll be going to Paris (for the first time!) in April. Fortunately or unfortunately it will coincide with Easter but I am piggy-backing on a work trip so the dates are fixed.

I am traveling alone and plan to walk a lot and take the Metro. I want to see some of the major sites, but most of my vacation will be spent wandering around, ducking in and out of shops and cafes, and soaking it in. I want to stay somewhere that won't be overrun with tour buses and tour groups (is that even possible?). For example, I had considered the Brighton but it seems to be a tourist hub.

Here's the rundown:
My budget is $150-200 US.
I'd like to be close to Metro stops.
I'd like to walk out the door and feel like I'm in a bustling neighborhood, not just a business/tourist district.
BUT...since it's my first time, I don't want to stay too far afield from the center of Paris.
Want somewhere safe for a woman traveling alone.
Helpful staff who will humor my halting French, or be okay with reverting to English.
Small room is fine if it's clean. A little charm would be nice. And a hair dryer.

Hotels under consideration (I've checked my dates and all of these fall within my budget):
Hotel Bonaparte
Hotel Abbatial St Germain
Hotel Duquesne Eiffel
Hotel Residence Henri IV

Your opinions would be most appreciated. I could also switch rooms midway through, for a taste of another neighborhood...?
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
ira

Hi DA,

I think that the Bonaparte meets all of your requirements.

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM

I think you will find the 6th district will fit your bill. The Bonaparte is well situated. Access from the airport is good, the RER train from the airport has a stop at St Michel. From there, transfer to Metro and you are a few stops away. Area has Luxembourg Gardens (must see), Musueum of Middle Ages, lots of restaurants and street shopping,etc. Somewhat long walks to the Seine, Notre Dame, Musee Orsay,etc...

In Paris you will never be very far from a Metro station. For Bonaparte hotel, you have two lines nearby. One will take you too Notre Dame, the other to Louvre area.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Hotel des Grands Hommes is also a possibility, I'll add that to the list.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM

Three nights in the Marais and the rest in Hotel Bonaparte.

It seems a very good idea, in case you are travelling light!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM

We stayed at The Brighton on our first stay in Paris. I found it to be wonderful-we could walk anywhwere.
At the end of our trip we stayed at The Muguat-with a stunning view of the Eifel tower. If you want a special lunch eat at the Jules Verne REstaurant in the tower-you go up an elevator so you don't have to stand in line to go up. It is very pricey but oh my what an experience-Chris
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM

I am a fan of the 7th (although I love the 6th as well). I stayed at the Hotel Duquesne Eiffel a few months ago and loved it. Close to metro & buses, views of Eiffel Tower from your balcony if you're lucky. We stayed in Rooms 55 & 56 (56 is a corner room with wraparound terrace - fabulous!)

Rooms are very clean & staff is friendly. Free internet access in the lobby. If you need anymore information, just ask me.

http://www.duquesneeiffel-paris-hotel.com/

-Roberta

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 03:16 PM

I forgot, you also considered switching hotels. I think that depends on how long you're staying in Paris. I prefer to stay in one hotel and become settled/familiar with the area. You can explore any area of Paris with the convenience of the metro.

I find it comforting to return to the same street leading to your hotel door each night. To me, it only becomes truly familiar right before it's time to pack up and return home.

-Roberta
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Update -- leaning towards Bonaparte, it's 100 euro (the least expensive of the bunch). However Muguet and Grands Hommes are running a close second. But if they aren't so much better than Bonaparte I think it makes sense to stay at Bonaparte and spend the extra 20-35 euro (per day) on food, wine, shopping, sights.

I'd love to hear from anyone who knows two or more of these hotels and can offer a comparison.

Thanks again! Can't wait for the trip.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM

From your list I have only stayed at the Hotel Bonaparte, so I can't compare. But I have stayed at the Bonaparte twice and will return this June. I was quite happy with the hotel-the rooms, the staff, and I loved the location.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Debbie- as a women who is traveling alone the location of the Bonaparte and is excellent. As you walk from many of the must sees to your hotel you will be walking along streets with good foot traffic and a nice buzz. I also like the metro stops in that area.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM

I stayed at Hotel Abbatial St.Germain about 3 years ago, good location for restaurants and food shops, metro and bus, but the room I stayed was dark and not very clean.

Last October and November, I stayed at Hotel Clunny Square & Hotel Europe Sain Severin, both at the same area, but much closer to Metro St.Michel(direct line to CDG), and with nicer rooms(Saint Severin better). All this area is very busy till middle of the night, and within walking distance to many tourist sites and museums.And the hotels are too small for bus tourists.

Usually I get some good deals through either www.expedia.com, or booking.com or laterooms.com.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM

I am also familiar with the Saint Severn Hotel..A little noisy unless on top floor. I think both these hotels are a bit too much in the heart of tourist land..stick with the Bonaparte.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM

I recommend the Hotel Valadon. Haven't checked prices lately, but I think it meets your budget and definitely meets your other requirements. The Orsennes (the owners) are very nice. The hotel is located in the 7th.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM

We stayed in the Hotel Residence Henri IV and loved it. We were very close to the tourist area, but away enough to feel as if we were living in Paris. Also, there was a tiny kitchen area and a little "living room" area in our room, which we liked.
Hotel des Maronniers is another hotel you might consider. Don't know current prices.
Good luck.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel du Lys and liked it very much.

http://www.hoteldulys.com/

If I were traveling alone to Paris, I would stay here again.
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

I have booked the Bonaparte! I'll post a trip report when I return. Thanks again. (Of course I may be posting other questions here before I leave...)
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM

I am sure you will be pleased with the Bonaparte. And you will love the location.
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 04:31 AM
ira

Hi DA,

>I have booked the Bonaparte!<

An excellent decision.

Please convey my regards to Mr. Lemaire and the rest of the staff.

The Café de la Mairie, just around the corner on Pl St Sulpice, is a nice place to sit and people watch in the late afternoon, early evening.

Old May 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to close off this thread by saying that I thought the Bonaparte was great. Yes, the room was tiny and rather "quaint" (wobbly side table, slightly mismatched furniture, worn out carpet), but I was perfectly comfortable and the staff was fantastic. Location, too.