Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris apartment experts: help me decide please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 4 (2 kids) is going to Paris for 4 days next month. I've narrowed down our choice of apartments to the following 2. Can you help me decide between them?

Rue Mazarine
170 Euro
http://www.iloveparisapartments.com/a_mazarine3.htm

Paris Perfect- Syrah
Rue Cler
225 Euro
http://www.parisperfect.com/syrah/te...nt-rental.html
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:16 AM

The looks of Rue Mazarine does it for me. Charming and classic.
That and something about Rue Cler makes me shudder. (I know I'm going to be slammed for that comment. Bring it on. I just keep hearing that Brady daughter going "MarciaMarciaMaria" except I hear Rick Steves' RueCler-RueCler-RueCler...)
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:25 AM

I prefer the location of the Mazarine, but the Rue Cler option has a washing machine, bath and half, a bathtub and an elevator and a balcony with a view! Rue Cler could be fun for the kids too.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:26 AM

The Paris-Perfect is a much better apartment. The kitchens don't compare, and I don't see a decent dining table in the Mazarine location. Also, Mazarine doesn't have an elevator, and the Paris-Perfect bed situation is better. (unless the adults prefer twins). Sofabeds are typically best left for the kids. The P-P apt also seems to get much better light, has that cute balcony, too.
There is nothing wrong with rue Cler just as there is nothing spectacular about it. It's just a shopping street.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post. I just found out that another apartment is available which I'd like to consider. I realize the location on rue Huchette is not ideal,but it looks great. How would you rate it versus the other 2?
Thanks
http://iloveparisapartments.com/a_huchette.htm
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Gets more and more difficult, doesn't it?

I like the last one the best. It oozes charm. The kids have their own "loft" bedroom which is so much better than having to make up the sofa everynight and having the beds "in the way". The biggest drawback is that it's up three flights. That bedroom looks very tight -- is the foot of the bed actually against the wall so you have to climb over to get to the other side?

Normally I like Paris Perfect apartments, but that one seems to have the least charm of most I've seen, and frankly I think it's going to be tight with two kids "in the way".

I frankly like the area. We rented last year and will rent again this year on Rue St. Severin which is "right around the corner" from it. Yes, the area is filled with "cheap" restaurants, but it is lively and fun and so close to St. Michel, Notre Dame, Ile de Cite, and so much more.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:22 AM

I stayed in the Cabernet paris perfect apartment for a week and couldn't have asked for a better view, better service, reasonable price, and well equipped rental. They do a great job.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

I agree the the Paris Perfect apartments look amazing, but they have a 7-5 day minimum, and we are only going for 3 nights
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Oh, so then the second option in your first post is not really an option?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM

I'm a little confused here, also, of the first two options you gave, one isn't an option, so the choice is obviously the other one. After throwing in the Huchette one I would still choose rue Mazarine myself for a couple reasons.

1) It looks bigger. The bedrm on Huchette is obviously only a few inches from the end of the bed.

2) You couldn't pay me to stay on rue de la Huchette, they would have to pay me. I hate it.

3) I think neither has an elevator, but the Mazarine one is lower.

It's hard to say where the TVs are in these apts, I don't think I could see. If they are in the bedroom (and I've found that), sometimes that is inconvenient if you all want to watch together. If you don't intend to even watch it, doesn't matter.

ON the other hand, the idea of twin beds for the kids on that mezzanine (only decent use, but how old are these kids? Those stairs look too steep that I would allow a little one up there) is enticing compared to a sofabed in the Mazarine one, if I am reading it right.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM

that accidentally got posted, I was also going to say

The Mazarine one is about 30 euro a night cheaper.

YOu'd have to figure out the bed deal. If the Mazarine one has twins that can function as a king and the kids can sleep on the couch, that sounds okay. I wouldn't want to sleep on a sleeper couch myself.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM

I cringe when I read NewInUK descibe an over €1600/week OFF SEASON or over €2000/week rest of year as "reasonable"...and for a one bedroom apartment.
I wonder what many people cruising through Fodor's, considering a "reasonably priced" trip to Paris, think.
For first-timers - you can get a reasonable apartment in Paris, high season for half of that €1600 price.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Hi,

We stayed at the Lescot location on this link with our 2 adult daughters in May. Paul was great, and the flat was lovely! On a pedestrian mall, and the price was right. Check it out! Bon Vogae! www.MaraisFlat.com
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM

robjame, my personal opinion is that "reasonable" means about the same as "fair value for the price". If you were renting a castle then 5000 euro per day might actually be "reasonable". As the quality of the apartment, the location, and the furnishings and amenities go up, so does the price and still I would term it reasonable. What is "unreasonable" is a hole in the wall that rents for 150 euro per night.

In other words, I don't think there are any dollar (or euro) amounts you can use to define reasonable. It totally depends on the quality of the place. That's why I never have any idea what someone means when they say they want a reasonably priced place. I have a better idea when they say "I want a cheap place". At least that narrows in down a bit. Of course, it's always best if someone gives an actual figure for budget.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Neo - have to admit you had me questioning my own understanding of "reasonable" as used to modify "price". Luckily we have dictionaries for such disputes - "sensible, not expecting too much, not excessive, inexpensive"
So I guess it could mean fair or cheap
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Oh boy, tough choice!
The rue Mazarine apt has more Paris charm in a way, but having stayed in a Paris Perfect apt right around the corner from the Syrah apt, I would choose that one.
The balcony, all the light you will get from being on the top floor, the location is nice ( I never knew about Rick and rue Cler before we went, it makes no difference in your stay)...there is absolutely nothing about the street or area that would make you shudder..it is just a street with a school down at the end on rue Dominique and cafes and homes. It will certainly make you feel very Parisian as well as offer a view of the Eiffel Tower all day and night.

They furnish those apts with very nice, high end furniture, towels, linens, appliances. The service is fabulous, if you have a question, something goes wrong, anything, Caroline the manager ( an American in Paris) will be there right away to fix it..or help you in any way.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Well, robjame, the problem with dictionaries is you can often just pick which definition you prefer. I just googled reasonable and the first definition I found was:

"Not excessive or extreme; fair: reasonable prices"

Then I googled reasonably priced and found "high quality for the cost involved."

So with either of those I still think 5000 euros per night could be "reasonably priced lodging" if you were renting a castle. Yes, of course that is the extreme.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for not clarifying about the ParisPerfect apartment. When i posted this originally last week, we were going to go for 5 nights....now we are going for only 3 nights/5 days...so although I could pay for the extra 2 nights, I am not sure that is smart to due, although I do agree that the ParisPerfect apt. is better equipped.