Paris and the Hague

Search

Paris and the Hague

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris and the Hague

We are planning a visit to Paris and on to Holland in February. We are searching for a few restaurants in Paris with exceptional food. Any suggestions? Also we will be going on to the Hague. Does anyone have a hotel recommedation, something within walking distance of the sights and also restaurant recommedations for there?
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Curious to see responses to this -- the Hague hotel part that is. And obviously not in February! Thanks.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM

It's been a couple of years since I have been to the Hague on business, but here are some impressions of hotels where I and colleagues have stayed:

-- Sofitel -- clean and comfortable, right by the train station but not particuarly noisy. Very centrally located.

-- Des Indes -- this is the grande dame, most love it, some find it dreary

-- Carlton Ambassador -- located near the Peace Palace, but not as "central" as the two above. Friendly service, nothing too exciting but reliably good.

-- Kurhaus -- this is not centrally located at all, but is accessible via a short tram or bus ride (can't remember which), and has a dreamy location right on the sea. If I ever go back for leisure as opposed to business, this is where I will stay.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:51 PM

I stay at the Dorint in the Hague and although it is not in the center of town it is in between the beach and the center of the town by way of tram #1.The hotel provides free tram slips so that you can walk about a block up to the tram stop and go either way. The hotel is quite nice and located directly across from the World Court which is quite interesting to observe.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:20 AM

MoonGirl; have you been to Des Indes since it was renovated? It's done by the same designer as Costes in Paris. Sort of Costes meets Vermeer style. Des Indes is very popular again, and the location is unbeatable, near the parliament, on Lange Voorhout. It's a Meridien hotel now. Around the corner is Denneweg with loads of restaurants and small shops.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:34 AM

For The Hague restaurants; Bistroquet, near Des Indes, a very well-known bistro. "It Rains Fishes" on Noordeinde; modern oriental food. And you must have an Indonesian meal while in The Hague; The Raffles on Javastraat is very good.
Des Indes is very popular for afternoon tea should that interest you.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Tulips, no, I have not been to Les Indes recently -- I just checked out the comments on TripAdvisor, and it sounds like quite a renovation. Good or bad, I'm not in a position to say, but I think the previous 'dreary' comment is clearly outdated. (That was never my own opinion, fwiw; I liked the historic feel very much)
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:59 PM

We stayed at Des Indes when it had just re-opened, and got a great rate, of 120 E if I remember correctly. If it's within your budget (or you have Starwood points to spend), I would not hesitate to stay there. It's got a great history. Winston Churchill stayed there. The Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova died there (ok, maybe not the best recommendation, but it was a long time ago!).
The Kurhaus would be great if you are there in summer.