Paris and London in 1 Week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can it be done? My wife and I are heading to Paris in March 2005, our first trip over seas. Our goal is to hit both Paris and London during this time. Should we bother? Is there enough time to enjoy both locations? We have our tickets for the flight...Air France from New York...and we are just starting to look into places to stay and see. Thanks to many of you for your information on the travel talk network. There are some great hints. Thank you.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:50 PM

How many days will you actually have in Europe - not counting flying?

If you can spend 3 full days in each city you should be able to at least hit some of the highlights and get a flavor of the place. If you have to limit one city to only 2 days I would probably just stay in one city or the other and do one or 2 day trips to the countryside instead.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:52 PM

Hello,

I think it can be done. In fact, my husband and I are planning the same trip in September!! I have been to Paris but not London, and he hasn't been to either, so I think it will be just perfect - and if there's more you want to do, you can always make another trip.

We have done many short-ish trips to other parts of Euprope and it has always worked out great - we are ready to move on after a few days somewhere. The key thing is to know your desires and be realistic with your plans. If you're an art lover, you could spend a week at the Louvre. If that's you, you're trying to do too much. That's not us - we like to take in the highlights, soak up the atmosphere, and move on. To us, 3-4 nights in a city is plenty.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:59 PM

Certainly it can be done. My first trip to Europe was London and Paris in March break when I was 15 years old. It is easier now with the Eurostar though the Channel Tunnel. The problem is you lose two half days in transit. I don't think you run out of things to do in Paris in a week.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:01 PM

We did both cities in 10 days 2 years ago. We flew between Paris and London but would recommend you take the chunnel. It's doable. You can get a taste of both, hit the major museums, and see enough to know if want to go back. In Paris we rented an apartment through Chezvous.com. It was great.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:43 PM

Is it possible to change your flight so you fly into one city and fly out of the other? That would save you half a day of travel time which is valuable time when you only have a week.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:11 PM

I've done it....twice. My very first Euroadventure was to London & Paris in 8 days. At that time, I figured I was just getting my feet wet and checking it all out, assuming I would return. And I did! My last trip there, two months ago, was again in about 8-10 days. I spent less time in London because it is just too darn expensive! And I'm glad I did it that way.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:11 AM
ira

Hi j,

It can be done, but I suggest that you do a week in Paris.

Your arrival day will be taken up with getting to your hotel and orienting yourself.

You will lose a day in travel between Paris and London.

Your last day will be taken up in getting to the airport.

That means only 5 days to see both Paris and London. Each has far more to see than you can do in 5 days.

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:17 AM

Don't waste your time and money, stick to one place unless you can dedicate a week to each.

If you'd been to one before then I'd recommend splitting your time, but as it stands it's pointless.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:00 AM

It can be done. I agree with KathrynT that you would save the better part of a day by booking an open jaw flight - into London and out of Paris. You will love both London and Paris and be sorry you didn't spend more time in each but that will be your excuse to return!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:32 AM
jay

I agree with ira. All of the other people that said that it can be done actually had more than a week. Four days to a week in each city is just about the right amount of time. I could do two weeks in Paris and not have it be enough time.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Given the time needed to get aclimated, plus a day moving from one city to another, I don't see the logic of doing this in a week. Then there is the question of rainy weather, which may limit what you wish to do. Ten days would be a more reasonable period, flying open jaw. I would suggest London first.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:30 AM

It's not a Fodorite favorite, but I'm taking my niece next month for the same trip for her HS Graduation gift. Frankly, I suspect it's about the exact right amount of time she can stand to spend with me and the whirlwind will ensure that she's completely interested in all of the things she sees without getting bored.

We are spending 3 nights in London, 3 in Paris and then will spend our last night in London before we fly out again. We're choosing to fly in and out of London because of fares and flights preferences. I agree in one and out of the other would be preferred.

Don't assume you won't be back. You surely will! Watch for those cheap fares and away you go....
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

I have heard that you can take the Chunnel and get to London in 3 hours? Is this correct? It seems that most think it will take a day to get from one to the other. I really do not want to lose a whole day in traveling between the 2 cities.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:04 PM

Yes, and in fact you gain an hour going to London (lose one coming back). But you must keep in mind that you need to get to the Station earlier than 5 minutes before so you will lose another hour of wait time and then taxi time at both ends.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:29 PM

People have done <i>day trips</i> (usually from London to Paris) so ofcourse it can be done. I also think it would have made more sense if you had an open jaw ticket (fly into one &amp; out of the other) but since you don't...only you can decide if you should bother. The train ride on the Eurostar can be done in 2 1/2 hrs. &amp; going from Paris to London you do gain an hour. If money is not an issue, you could take an early morning train from Paris &amp; be in London before 9am but this will be most expensive.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 04:20 AM

There is so much to see in each city. You will get a highlight of each city. I have done a guide and will send it to you at the email you have. It gives you what to see in each area. It has been a big help to my sister and I when we have gone. I have also shared it with others on this site.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 04:52 AM

I have tried the &quot;shorter time in each city to see more cities&quot; logic. I found myself ticking off breath taking treasures like they were chores. Now I stay in one country, visit the city and tour the countryside as another responder suggested. I return feeling fulfilled, not exhausted. But as noted each person has a different touring style. Enjoy.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all responses. Our trip starts on Mar. 11, 2005 but we don't get into Paris until Mar. 12 at 8:05 AM. I hope to hit the road running. I am assuming that it is going to be quite cold there. We are thinking heavy jackets but some have said just layer up. We leave Paris on Mar.18th at 3:20 PM. All this thru C. Degaulle(SP). Will the hotels be willing to keep our things until we find our way back?