Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is a week enough to visit London and Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! So come June of 2013 my family and I are going to Europe and I was wondering if a week would be enough to visit the main spots of London & Paris. Nothing to much to cherish simply see, few pictures, walk around here and there and that's all. Thanks for any feedback.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 03:53 PM

A week isn't enough for Paris, let alone 2 cities.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Yes. But get ready for the Attack of the Paris Lovers.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Visit only 1 city. Three & a half days in each isn't nearly enough time to even get a glimps of the "main spots" (which there are dozens & dozens of). You'll also want to wander around and enjoy the ambience of each city.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 04:50 PM

This is not a question that all will agree on. If you want to hit just a few high spots, a week might suffice. But if you want to enjoy a city, spend a week in one place. If you can extend your trip to 10 days, you can have a better visit in London and Paris. Five days in each will allow you to hit many of the "main spots" but probably not to get a feeling for both cities.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 05:05 PM

yes, of course, it is. I often only spend 3-4 days visiting a city for the first time. In fact, I think I almost always do. If I really like a place or feel some connection to it, I will re-visit or spend more time there next time. I think 3-4 days is fine for getting a taste of a place and seeing some highlights.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Heyits, I agree with Christina “I think 3-4 days is fine for getting a taste of a place and seeing some highlights.”

Of course, five days in each city would be optimal. But you can get a decent taste of both cities with fewer days. Whatever you decide, no doubt, you will want to return to London and Paris many times in your life. There is just so much to see and do in each.

Enjoy your trip…
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 05:25 PM

And I disagree. A month in each city will do nicely.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM

You can do it but it will be rushed. The first time I went to London with my daughters, we were there for 3 days and Paris for 3. I had been to London before so had seen many of the major sights already. We managed to get in the highlights for them. None of us had been to Paris and of course it wasn't long enough. But I agree with those that feel that if that's all the time you have, then go for it. Of course we'd all love to spend a week, two weeks, a month in those cities but that often isn't possible. Plus it gives you an opportunity to map out what you want to see when you come back the next time.

We took the chunnel from London to Paris. It was a quick and easy way to get between the two cities. I would suggest, though, that you look for an open jaw ticket. We flew into London and out of Paris. This way you aren't spending some of that precious time getting back to the original city for your flight home.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK . . . IF you are literally talking about a week total then no way. 7 days minus 1 flying overseas, minus 1 recovering from jetlag, minus 1/2 traveling between London and Paris, minus 1 flying home. Leaves you 3.5 days actually free.

But IF you really mean 9 days (7 'on the ground') then you could get a small glimpse of both cities. Even then 1 city would be better but 2 cities would be OK-ish.

Mostly depends on what you really mean by a 'week' though.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Many travelers find 3 days enough time ....they take a Ho-Ho (or similar ) bus, stop at various tourist attractions for 1/2 hour , take pictures, continue.....
If one is not interested in visiting museums, galleries etc
3 days will cover most cities.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Fodors posters are not allowed to just visit the main spots of a city. Especially the great cities of Europe. We need to feel, to breathe, to become a part of a city. We're explorers, historians and connoisseurs. Not tourists.

Tourists are at Frommers. Honest.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM

In one word, no!
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:46 PM

A week in London wasn't enough for us. As Robert said, no!
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:47 PM

funny, cold
I have a friend who takes taxis instead of a Ho-Ho bus.
My friends have class!
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:50 PM

Many people would say sure, it's just an overview. I'd say an overview would require a week in each city at a minimum. So, a no from me.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM

An overview? They don't want an overview. They want "nothing to much to cherish simply see, few pictures, walk around here and there and that's all."

You know St Cirq. Like the first time. I'm betting very quick and very enjoyable.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM

I think an important point is do you mean a total of 7 days holiday, in which case you are actually talking about 5 days of visiting. since the first and last days don't really count for much.The first day you arrive ( usually in early morning, but you are tired, then have to get to hotel and check in, and try and stay up ,since you will be jet lagged) so can only fit a bit in on first day. Then last day is nothing but trip to airport. So, max is six days.

Day you travel between the two cities. Well, you have to check out of hotel and get to station ( San Panreas or Gare du Nord) 45 minutes ahead of train , so theres an hour and a half. Then trip is 2.5 hours, then get to next hotel. So that leaves you about 1/2 a day in new city.

So, if you split Paris and London with only 6 days you really only get 3 days one place 2.5 in the other, sightseeing time I mean..

I love both places, London and Paris, but Paris is my number one, but even I would say , choose one, either one.
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM

No...but you have to make the most of what you have...so enjoy roughly three days in each city with a "travel half-day - by Eurostar" in-between.

You'll have a fantastic time.

After all, a week in London and Paris is probably MUCH MUCH better than a week at home.

SS - A "Paris Lover" married to a "London Lover"
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 02:10 PM

>>After all, a week in London and Paris is probably MUCH MUCH better than a week at home.<<

The OP has other choices - like a week in only 1 of these cities. I made the "three days is OK" mistake on our first trip to Paris in '77.

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -