Paris and France for our Anniversary and Birthday's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to visit Paris and France next summer or fall for our 20th Anniversary and 50th Birthday's!
We would fly in-out of Paris and are planning on having 2 weeks to explore. If you were planning your "dream" vacation what would you do?
We thought about some time in Paris ( not sure how much) then on to the southern wine country. Looking at 3-4 star accommodations and love B&B's.
Any advice/help is appreciated.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM

I would put Paris at the end of the trip if the schedule works out.

Why? You will probably have to return to Paris before flying home. Many posters who did Paris first, then to Provence, for example, had to find a way to get back to Paris early enough to catch a flight if they didn't want to spend another night in Paris.

For me, Paris is always the last stop to be able to do shopping without having to carry them around and to buy perishable goodies like macaroons.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM

I agree with Greg. Paris is always our last stop a. for the shopping and not having to carry things around, and b. more direct flights from Paris back to NY. DH and I are heading to France for our 25th anniversary in September, all places we have already been and loved. Our itinerary:
Strasbourg - 1 night
Alsace(including Colmar) - 3 nights
Burgundy - 4 nights
Paris - 5 nights.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Do you have any interest in Normandy, the WWII invasion area? That was one of our very favorite things in our France, 2006 trip. Even if you're not interested in the invasion area, Normandy and Brittany have a lot to offer: walled cities, Mt. St. Michele, wineries, tapestries, seaport villages, etc.

We did Paris first the first time around, but last fall we saved Paris for last, after the Netherlands and Belgium. We flew into Amsterdam and out of Paris. It worked really well. We also stayed in nicer accommodations in Paris, figuring we'd be ready for some pampering after trooping around some battlefields and staying in much smaller hotels.

Are you planning to rent a car or take trains or tours? That would make a big difference in how you plan your trip.

One last thing, we always travel after October 15 to take advantage of lower FF mileage requirements. The weather was cool but not cold in France, except along the coast, where it was pretty chilly, or in the Ardennes in Belgium. We like that better than hot weather and the crowds are much smaller.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM

land at CDG, then TGV to wine country, Paris at the end.

One year, I landed in Paris and rented a car to tour the Loire valley, then spent some time in Paris at the end. the Loire is quite close to Paris, has some good wineries, medieval villages, chateaux around every corner..another possibility.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We've done our "dream vacation" visiting France many times. We always "do" Paris and then TGV and rental car elswhere in France in Sept. This year it's a week in Paris and a week in The Loire Valley(our 2nd time there.)

On this site you will find a font of information from some very savy travellers, and Paris plus France in general seems to be a favorite.

IMO, you should start reading trip reports and France questions. Then decide what region you would like to visit. Read some more threads on that region and then start asking specifics.

Our first trip to Paris and the South of France was magical and I hope yours will be too. So, magical that we return every year and try to add a "new" region.

Good Luck!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM

I would choose a week in Provence and a week in Paris. We, like others, save Paris for last as we tend to shop and accumulate more in Paris (and don't want to carry it all over the country) and it is easier to leave from there. Also we might want the warmer weather in Provence and hope for cooler weather in Paris.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
One more comment. I'd do Paris first. It's such an easy city, and gets you into the "French Way" quite quickly. Then you feel aclimated to try the train and driving. Others feel diferently, this is just my opinion
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM

You can also purchase open-jaw tickets: for example, flying into Paris and out of Nice or Marseille.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM

another must see for me in Paris is the Musee D'orsay museum. Excellent! Giverny is a nice day trip and Versailles is another. Have a great time. Enjoy the food, wine, sites etc!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 05:32 AM
ira

Hi Al,

>If you were planning your "dream" vacation what would you do? <

Fly AF RT to CDG.

Purchase CDG--> Strasbourg/Strasbourg --> Paris Prems tickets in advance.

Train CDG to S. Rent a car. Visit Alsace.
Return to S. Train to P.
Fly home.

You could substitute Dijon or Beaune and visit Burgundy.

Enjoy your visit.