Search

Paris airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris airports

I'm driving to Bourges, south of Paris. Is it easier to rent a car and drive out of DeGaulle or to drive out of Orly? I need an automatic car.

Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 09:34 AM

by far CDG - as from Orly you have to drive around Paris 180 degrees on the infamous circular freeway (autoroute) - infamous because of its traffic snarls (bouchons) - on a weekend that drive would be much easier I think.

But CDG is smack on the way via Lille to Bruges.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
PQ - she's going to Bourges - not Bruges.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 09:48 AM

Actually getting an automatic transmission car will be easier at CDG, as those cars are found primarily at very large airports.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, I'm going to Bourges, south of Paris, which is why I thought it might be easier to leave from Orly.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 10:37 AM

You shouldn't have any trouble getting an A/T at Orly, it is a major airport. I've had no trouble getting them just in train stations in much smaller cities in France (e.g., Montpellier or Marseille). But you ought to ask the company you are renting from that question, in case they have some issues with one site. There is probably no one answer, but I still would be very surprised if you couldn't easily get one at Orly. I have always rented from Europcar. Certainly Orly would make more sense logistically to drive to Bourges, you just get right on the A6/E15.

I just use Autoeurope, they told me locations where no one has ever complained about not being able to get an A/T when reserved. And their website tells you what you can reserve.

Europcar does say you can rent an A/T at Orly, but I'd go through Autoeurope, the rate may be better. They have Volkswagen Golfs which are okay. I prefer Mercedes A A/Ts, though. Their quote is about 20 euro more a day for an A/T than the manual Golf on Europcar but I only tried a few days. That's about what I've paid extra per day. You have to go into the car category called "Citadines" to get an A/T quote BTW.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 11:37 AM

Oops - Bourges - definitely from Orly - sorry about reading Bruges - which I see much more here than Bourges, which I have visited several times and am always amazed more folks do not talk about this sweet regional town with a stellar cathedral - yes an easy drive from Orly but from Roissy you'd have to go around Paris on that dread circular autoroute with many bouchons possible.

sorry about my mental typo!
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much people for all the useful advice!
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 01:22 PM

The drive to Bourges I believe goes via the autoroute via Orleans and then south thru the Sologne - a fabled place in the Loire Region though one unknown to most tourists - if you have time (and energy) take a side road thru part of it - see the famous etangs - ponds and distinctive brick edifices in towns.

If looking for a low-key small town to stay in check out places like La Ferte St Aubin - a Sologne village with those typical and very unique for France architecture.

http://translate.google.com/translat...%26es_sm%3D122

http://www.chateau-ferte-st-aubin.com/

And this is a chateau you can stay in or on the grounds with the owner living there himself.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 01:36 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=solo...=1600&bih=1075

Images of the Sologne!